Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

UGH so livid!! Stupid Effing Nurses Hotline

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:09 AM
  • 7 Replies

In June, I noticed a lesion on my son's arm. I wrote it off as a bug bite and cleaned it accordingly.. Well it started to SPREAD. So I took him in to see his doctor, and it was a STAPH INFECTION. THey prescribed him an antibiotic, that he ended up having an allergic reaction to. So I had to take him to the ER, since it was the middle of the night. I took him to the closest ER, which isn't where his regular doctor is. They treated him for dehydration, and switched his antibiotic. The infection cleared up. I took him to his dermatologist (he has other skin problems including eczema and moluscum contagiosum), who said it looked great, it had healed great.. and we were good to go. So I tossed out the remaining anti biotic, like I was instructed to do.

Well this morning, I notice a lesion in the same spot. I call the nurses hotline, and explain that it is the STAPH infection back again. She looked at his records and said "It certainly sounds right, I'll call in a prescription and bring him in on Monday" Okay, thanks.

I go to the pharmacy, and it's the same antibiotic he had the allergic reaction to. When I took him in for his follow up, I told them that he had been seen at the other ER for having an allergy to this antibiotic. So I called the hotline back and told them that he can't take this antibiotic, and asked if they could call in another one. The nurse got an attitude with me, saying I shoudl have told her and yada yada yada. You were looking at his medical records, I would assume that it was noted.. I was nice, because maybe I should have told her.. but really how hard is it to call in one more prescription

So she pulls up his medical records and says that it's not noted, and she can't call in another one since this is the default prescription for STAPH. Well I told the doctor that you work for, at my son's appointment, in person that he was seen in the ER for an allergy to this prescription.. how is it my son's fault that it's not noted.. So I ask what I can do to get another prescription called in and she told me I'd have to wait until monday, when he is seen. That doesn't fly with me, so I asked to speak to the doctor on call.. I've seen how fast STAPH spreads, I'm not waiting until monday to get him on an anti biotic.. So I talk to the doctor on call who tells me to call the ER that I took him to, and ask them to fax over documentation of his allergy..

So I did, and I called the nurses hotline back with the confirmation number of the fax. She got an attitude with me again.. "Do you expect me to just drop what I'm doing to run to the fax".. No I expect you to put an order in for the doctor to call me back, so we can get this sorted out so my son can get the antibiotic he needs. She got huffy and said "Fine I'll have the doctor call you back, but you need to cut his nails or something so this doesn't happen again"

She crossed a freaking line. I know that the only way to get staph is through a break in the skin, I also know that my child has eczema, so I keep his nails cut as short as possible, and the are so clean they shine. You need to mind your own business and not get an attitude with me, because the doctor you work for told me that is was GONE.

Really? Are you serious? You are in charge of taking calls for patients, and my kid is a patient. He needs a prescription and I held up my end, and got the information faxed over.. now you need to make sure he gets the prescription he needs.. STAPH is not something to play with..

I am filing a complaint against her on Monday when I take my son in.. That is just ridiculous.

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
norahsmommy
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:18 AM

always ask for the name of the person you are talking to. That way if you need something or need to complain you have the name.  I hope your son's infection clears up soon! 

LovingMyJaybird
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Thank you. I understand her reasons for not being able to get another prescription without the fax, but once the fax is there, don't get an attitude with me, because I'm on top of things. And don't tell me what you THINK I need to do with my sons nails.. it's already done, don't act like my kid is dirty because he has a staph infection.. You're looking at his medical records, you should see how many skin problems we have dealt with. He's even allergic to sun block.. I mean really? Why would I lie about an antibiotic?? That makes no since..

Quoting norahsmommy:

always ask for the name of the person you are talking to. That way if you need something or need to complain you have the name.  I hope your son's infection clears up soon! 

mummaof2lilboys
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 11:53 AM

hugs

I'm soo sorry for all the nonsense you're going through!

I'm not familiar, how do you get a staph infection?

SoniaL
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 11:56 AM

That is horrible!  Definitely file a complaint.  She was way out of line.

ChaoticAtBest
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 4:02 PM

wow, I am sorry momma!

I hope his infection clears up again. However just be careful because they can come back again and again. If it is in his blood stream it will spread to various parts. I am actually shocked they told you to not finish the antibiotic.

kat928
by on Aug. 13, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Quoting ChaoticAtBest:

wow, I am sorry momma!

I hope his infection clears up again. However just be careful because they can come back again and again. If it is in his blood stream it will spread to various parts. I am actually shocked they told you to not finish the antibiotic.

i'm with you on that. it is always a good idea to finish the antibiotics they prescribe. hope he gets better quick.

katiebug840204
by on Aug. 13, 2010 at 4:53 PM
First off yes she was rude. But you should always finish antibiotics. They shouldn't be thrown out unless I was reading wrong, maybe u were referring to throwing out the antibiotic he was allergic to? Also some dr's want to see patients again if staph isn't cured with the first treatment of antibiotics because it can spread. My son got a splinter 2 weekends ago that he removed by hisself. A week later the area was red and swollen and he was limping. I took him to the dr and they said it was staph and felt his glands in the area because it can spread so quickly. She said after 2 days on the antibiotics if it wasn't better to bring him back cause by then it could have spread to those glands. Thank god it worked. But point is they should have seen him on an emergency basis when u noticed it was back or referred u back to the ER if they couldn't see him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)