Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First Time Gym Experince

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 8:17 AM
  • 4 Replies

I went to the gym for the first tiem yesterday, a little scary. WellI had a meeting with a personal trainer(first session free). He weighed me(166) and did my body fat index(377.7%). Then had me warm up for 10mintues on a treadmill and then did a few exercises and then tried to get me to purchase a 12 month contract with him, I cant afford that, it would be nice to have the help but money does not allow for that. So I was wondering what kind of exercise should I do sense I am a beginner? He also said I should be there 3x a week- Day 1:chest/back, core, cardio. Day 2:Legs, core, cardio. Day 3:Shoulders, arms, core ,cardio.

On my gym off days I am wanting to walk, how many miles a day should I shoot for? I will be pushing my 13 month old DD.

by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 8:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
NotUrMama72
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 8:23 AM

When I went to the gym I did a lot with the elliptical first then I'd move over to weights (if your just trying to tone you dont need to lift a lot) and I used the treadmills a good amount too.

I push my 13 month old everyday to the park and back that is 20 mins each way and play on the swings and run around the playground for 20-30 mins with him. I don't know how many miles that is but it seems to be helping!

Good luck!! 

gymgirl
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Lifting is very important to tone. Cardio sheds fat. The weights are very key. Take 2 rest days a week. No exercise. Mabey 1 day you could walk. But that is it. rest days are as important as workouts.

Kathy0327
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Figure 20 mins = 1 mile.  But that does depend on your pace.  You didn't say which gym you went to.  But YMCA gyms offer financial assistance.  Our family membership was 42$ per month and they waived the "sign-on" fee. And I think you can take your stroller onto the track.  I know I've seen women several times with strollers on the track.  Walking is by far the best exercise.  Try putting a song on an mp3 player with a pace you can do and set it on repeat.  Add weights (1 to 2 lbs), when your muscles work you burn energy which burns calories.  and be sure like gymgirl said - take a day or two off, lest you get bored and give up.

TonyaLynn84
by on Aug. 25, 2010 at 6:09 AM

Thanks

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)