Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have LOTS of questions:)

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:32 AM
  • 1 Replies

Hello ladies. I'm Ashley. I'm 21 and from Ohio. I'm married and together we have a 20 month old son and I'm currently almost 36 weeks pregnant with our daughter, who will be making her arrival via c-section on October 22nd.

I've been a member of this group for awhile now. I attempted to lose some weight and then found out I was pregnant with my daughter, so the weightloss has been put on hold for awhile. Obviously, I can't really diet RIGHT now, but I am planning on jumping into weightloss mode as soon as I have my daughter. I am fully aware that I cannot exercise for 6-8 weeks after having my daughter, but I am planning on making healthier eating choices and starting my weightloss journey as soon as possible.

I'm currently 5'2 and 275lbs. I have gained about 15lbs this pregnancy. During the time between both kids, I gained a little over 20lbs. This pregnancy has been so much harder on my body than my first, and I fully believe 100% that it's because of my weight. I wasn't healthy when I was pregnant with my son, but I never had as many aches and pains as I have had this pregnancy.

My ultimate goal would be to get down to 150lbs. That's still a little heavy for my height, but I am aware that I am never going to be "skinny", which is okay with me. I just want to be healthy.

I plan on losing the weight by eating healthier, increasing my water intake, and of course, exercising. I have a membership to the Y here in town.

These are the problems I struggle with:

- Overeating - How do I STOP myself from eating something that I KNOW I don't need??

- I have a HUGE sweettooth - What are some healthy alternatives to satisfy my sweettooth without eating a whole bowl of icecream?

- I get bored with drinking plain water - If I add flavors to my water, is it still JUST as good as plain water?

- I don't know WHAT to eat - What is a typical day of meals for you? including snacks?

- I don't really know HOW much to eat - How many calories do you consume on a daily basis?

- I get discouraged and want to give up if I don't see instant weightloss. For example, in the past, I would do really good losing weight and then I would hit a plateau and the scale would stop moving. I'd get upset and quit. - How do I stop myself from getting discouraged?

Any other advice you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
ChaoticAtBest
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:23 AM

- Overeating - How do I STOP myself from eating something that I KNOW I don't need??  If I find myself at the fridge, I ask myself why am I there. Am I really hungry or am I bored? If I am hungry, I grab something, if I am just bored, I walk away and go find something else to do. Watch your portion sizes and try to get protein in each meal as it will help you feel full longer. Keep fresh fruits and veggies so that you can snack on them. Eat 5-6 small meals per day and honestly that will help with the over-eating as long as you are making healthy choices. This is all about you making a conscious choice to take control.

- I have a HUGE sweettooth - What are some healthy alternatives to satisfy my sweettooth without eating a whole bowl of icecream?

Fresh Fruits! Strawberries are delicious! Grapes are awesome and try greek yogurt topped with fresh fruits.  Peaches are sweet, plus there are sooooo many other fruits that would satisfy your sweet tooth!

- I get bored with drinking plain water - If I add flavors to my water, is it still JUST as good as plain water? Try adding lemon to your water, fresh squeezed lemon is something that tastes great and you can't go wrong with it.

- I don't know WHAT to eat - What is a typical day of meals for you? including snacks? Baked chicken and baked fish are our go to meals. You can season them in so many different ways to create unique meals. Plus with seafood, there are lots to choose from.

Celery sticks with some peanut butter are great snacks, so are fresh fruits, carrot sticks, greek yogurt. There are lots and lots to choose from ;)

- I don't really know HOW much to eat - How many calories do you consume on a daily basis? find out  your bmr this will tell you the minimum amount of calories you need to consume daily. Also find out your BMI. This is a good number to keep track of.

- I get discouraged and want to give up if I don't see instant weightloss. For example, in the past, I would do really good losing weight and then I would hit a plateau and the scale would stop moving. I'd get upset and quit. - How do I stop myself from getting discouraged? Just remember this is a lifestyle change not a diet. You really have to want this for yourself. When you feel down, come in here and make a post, we will try to help keep you motivated.

Also, think about why you want/need to lose weight. Do you ache? Do you have a hard time playing with your kids? If you maintain losing weight to get to a healthier weight, you will feel so much better about yourself and you will teach your children to be healthy :)

Overall it will help you and your family live a healthy lifestyle, not to mention the health problems you will help to avoid.

Create a journal in here and update it frequently with your weight, your exercise and/or food. You will see how the changes are happening as you go along :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)