Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

the gym gives me anxiety

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:40 PM
  • 7 Replies

so yesterday I joined the Y down the street.  From 5-9 pm they'll watch your kids while you work out. so I went, saw how crowded it was and left.  How do you get over gym anxiety?

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
kimmybaby
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:21 PM

i wish i knew!! i dont like to be around anyone when i work out!! i started last  month with p90x in my home and i am amazed, its the best thing ever!! and no one looking at me!!

armywyfe07
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:38 PM

lol you just have to realize everyone else in there is just as self conscious as you are & no one is watching or judging you for fear you're doing the same to them. :) I had the gym anxiety too but my gym is full of soldiers so it's a bit more intimidating. lol my husband told me none of them would even notice I was there & when I was running I saw that they were all too focused on their own workouts that I was practically invisible. Just focus on what you are there to do & don't worry about anyone else. :)

Kimmybaby-I was thinking about getting p90x. don't mean to get personal but how fit were you when you started & how are you doing so far? I've heard nothing but great things about it but I'm worried I'm not physically ready for it. Any advice?

Elsasmom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 1:45 PM

I agree that most people are too focused on their own workouts to really notice what you're doing, I know that's how I am at the gym. It is a pain though when it's so crowded stuff isn't available to use, cuz I hate waiting lol. Is it packed that whole time period? I can imagine at 5, but what about like 7 or 8? I'd adjust my schedule to avoid the busiest time. 

katieGrace
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:08 PM

I actually went around 7.. and yeah it was packed. bummer!

I love working out at home and thats all I've ever done.  But i've been slacking big tmie and I thought buying a membership would motivate me a little more.  I have a meeting with a trainer tomorrow... so hopeefully that will make me more comfortable in the environment and with the equiptment.

Elsasmom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Quoting katieGrace:

I actually went around 7.. and yeah it was packed. bummer!

I love working out at home and thats all I've ever done.  But i've been slacking big tmie and I thought buying a membership would motivate me a little more.  I have a meeting with a trainer tomorrow... so hopeefully that will make me more comfortable in the environment and with the equiptment.

Oh bummer! I actually like having other people around me exercising, it's kinda motivating, just not so many that I can't get a machine:) That's a great idea starting out with a trainer, you should get some great tips and I'm sure it'll help make you feel more comfortable. I love my Y, joining is one of the best things I've ever done for myself, hope you get just as much out of it!

kimmybaby
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:14 PM

i am very overweight!! but, i like to think i am a "fat" fit person LOL.... i have always worked out hard... i posted a thread when i started p90x and am tracking my progress.... i think any fitness level can start p90x and benefit from it.... you just may have to pause or slow down to catch your breath, stuff like that..... i know i do.... ive tried insanity...now, that was just too much for me!! its a lot of plyometrics (jumping up and down) and being 50+ pounds overweight, thats tough!! LOL..... ive done chalean extreme also.... i want to do turbo fire.... ok i could go on and on, send me a message if you wanna chat?? or have any questions, i'd LOVE to help!!

Quoting armywyfe07:

lol you just have to realize everyone else in there is just as self conscious as you are & no one is watching or judging you for fear you're doing the same to them. :) I had the gym anxiety too but my gym is full of soldiers so it's a bit more intimidating. lol my husband told me none of them would even notice I was there & when I was running I saw that they were all too focused on their own workouts that I was practically invisible. Just focus on what you are there to do & don't worry about anyone else. :)

Kimmybaby-I was thinking about getting p90x. don't mean to get personal but how fit were you when you started & how are you doing so far? I've heard nothing but great things about it but I'm worried I'm not physically ready for it. Any advice?

JuliaW
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:25 PM

I don't know :(  I'm like you, I'm a member of our Y, they have a great babysitting program and a fantastic new gym but I can't bring myself to go. I also love to swim and they have a pool but I won't put on a bathing suit. I need to get over it. Until then, I'm walking laps around the soccer field when my son is at practice, I don't feel so self conscious doing that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)