Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what point does it become unhealthy?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:54 PM
  • 4 Replies

To lose weight?  I have seen pictures of people, and heard of people talking about how they have lost soooo much weight..but they look unhealthy!  They are just sooooo stick skinny you want to feed them a cheese burger!  I mean, if I am 5'7'' (which I am lol) and I want to weigh say 130, that is a pretty reasonable weight..but if I said I wanted to get down to 115 that would be wayyy too small for my height.  So at what point do you think it becomes an obession to be smaller and is no longer about being healthy?  I just worry that if I ever get down to my goal weight I will become one of those girls..that even if its being done a healthy way..its just not right for me or my body!

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
runner-mom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:17 PM

This is a touchy subject.   There are many things to take into consideration.  People carry weight differently despite height. I've been 115 and I am 5' 7" and while I was tiny, I wasn't UN-healthy.  Someone else may be though, because everyone's body is different. I think at the end of the day if you still have a healthy body fat percentage, and haven't experienced symptoms of malnourishment such as amenorrhea (ceasing of your menstrual cycle due to low body fat), losing hair, etc (this could be a long list) than you are ok.

I think what you are talking about has a lot more to do with mental health than physical..in which case the number on the scale really doesn't matter, because as you said it was an obsession.

This is exactly why it is important to focus on exercise and healthy eating, not the numbers on the scale. Your body will do what it needs to do :)

Run Like a MOM!!                        my blog               Cafemom Healthy Moms

TK87
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Some people eat and eat and are super skinny.  So I wouldn't consider a skinny person unhealthy unless they were starving themselves.  It's unhealthy when people don't eat or overeat.  If your eating right and exercising right I don't see how it would be unhealthy.

sunshine86912
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:01 PM

I did say though...they LOOK unhealthy, even if they really are (healthy).  So based off just looks alone...I dont want people to look at me and think I am anerxic or anything because I am soooo tiny, but I got that way and stay that way in a healthy manner.  (I am not tiny by any means though lol  I am 5'7" and 158-160)

Quoting TK87:

Some people eat and eat and are super skinny.  So I wouldn't consider a skinny person unhealthy unless they were starving themselves.  It's unhealthy when people don't eat or overeat.  If your eating right and exercising right I don't see how it would be unhealthy.

Tigger0281
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:01 PM

Everyone's body make up is different. Some women are all legs with short torsos so less weight looks okay on them while others have long torsos with shoter legs so less weight might look like too little on them. When we lived overseas, my mom joined a TOPS group and lost 53 pounds in 9 months. She looked great and felt great, but looking back now at pictures, she was almost too tiny. My grandpa tells her all the time he was too little. I think that if you are a bigger person needing to or wanting to lose weight, it's hard to stop once you start and then the body image thing comes into play. What we see and what others see is hard to guage. I am feeling better about myself now than I have in a LOOOONNNNNGGGG time. I am currently 165 and 5'6" because of swelling from a procedure I had, and I would like to lose 15-20 more, but as it is I am feelin GREAT about myself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)