Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

calories burned during workout DVDs?

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2010 at 4:08 PM
  • 5 Replies

how do you calculate how many calories you burned during workout DVDs?  or do you just not even worry about it? 

I have decided that as of December 1st I will start doing a workout DVD in the AM and my bike in the PM instead of the bike twice a day - but i have no idea how to add in my exercise on the app I use. 

by on Nov. 28, 2010 at 4:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
momojcbc
by on Nov. 28, 2010 at 4:47 PM

I wish I knew! I was going to get a body bugg..but then I think I would eat more!! I guess I would guess when I am really sweating I burn 500 in 30 minutes and when I am just doing weights and lunges and such half that?? This is just my guess I could be totally off! As long as you are eating right and then the twice a day should really pay off! What DVD are you doing? You know spark people has a tool for this..

miller060905
by on Nov. 28, 2010 at 5:02 PM

I use an app on my iphone called "Lose It"  they also have a website. 

anyways - I have a couple different DVDs:

Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred

Leslie Sansone - Walk Slim - 4 Fast Miles

Leslie Sansone - Walk away your Hips and Thighs

10 Minute Solutions - Knock Out Body

plus I just ordered

10 Minute Solutions - Target Toning for Beginners

I want to get 10 Minute Solutions - Blast Off Belly Fat   but it'll have to wait til next payday.  I'm one that has to have a really big variety to exercise with DVDs or I get bored with them... so my plan is to just mix them up and do diffrent workouts each day, plus try to add at least one new DVD a month!  . 

momojcbc
by on Nov. 28, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Thats awesome! I have done the 30 day shred and No more trouble zones by Jillian. I really like teh different beach body dvds becasue they have a whole 90 day plan and that way I dont get bored doing the same thing! lol!

Quoting miller060905:

I use an app on my iphone called "Lose It"  they also have a website. 

anyways - I have a couple different DVDs:

Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred

Leslie Sansone - Walk Slim - 4 Fast Miles

Leslie Sansone - Walk away your Hips and Thighs

10 Minute Solutions - Knock Out Body

plus I just ordered

10 Minute Solutions - Target Toning for Beginners

I want to get 10 Minute Solutions - Blast Off Belly Fat   but it'll have to wait til next payday.  I'm one that has to have a really big variety to exercise with DVDs or I get bored with them... so my plan is to just mix them up and do diffrent workouts each day, plus try to add at least one new DVD a month!  . 

darbykeep
by on Nov. 28, 2010 at 9:41 PM

The most accurate way to know how many calories you're burning is to use a heartrate monitor that attaches to your arm just like an mp3 player.  They are semi-expensive, but that's the most accurate way to get that info.  Otherwise, you can use websites like livestrong.com, sparkpeople.com, etc. to plug in the type of exercise you're doing during the workout DVD, like cardio, aerobics, strength training, circuit training, etc.  The amount of calories you burn will be based on your heartrate and your weight.  Honestly, it would take some serious intensity to burn 500 calories in 30 minutes depending on what your weight is.  If I remember correctly from your journal, you're about 150...I'm around 153, so we're close enough.  I'm 5'6 and I do some of those same JM workouts that you listed above.  I also run quite a bit too.  Just for an example, during an hour run, if I run about 5.5 miles (11 minute mile approx.), I usually burn about 720 calories or so.  When I do the JM workouts, I usually burn about 400 calories or so depending on which workout I do, between the trouble zones and cardio ones, which last 50 minutes or so.  Doing the 20 minute workout, I burn less than that of course.  I hope that helps:)

ChaoticAtBest
by on Nov. 29, 2010 at 8:28 AM

I have no clue, but darby has a good idea of going to sparkpeople or one of the other sites to get an idea.

Maybe even go to the products website to see if they have it listed. If not, sometimes you can contact them via e-mail, they might be able to give you an idea =)

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)