Share your healthy desserts here ~
Gluten-Free Spice Cake
A medley of seasonal spices fills this cake with mouthwatering flavor. You'll want to try it even if you don't follow a gluten-free diet!
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup soy flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dried apricots
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat the applesauce, honey, eggs, oil and vanilla
- until well blended. Combine the rice flour, soy flour, ginger,
- cinnamon, baking powder, salt, baking soda, nutmeg, allspice and
- cloves; gradually beat into applesauce mixture until blended. Stir in the walnuts, apricots and orange peel.
- Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted
- near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle with
- confectioners' sugar.
- Yield: 9 servings.