Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Another question, likely been asked before by another...

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:20 AM
  • 6 Replies

Okay so FINALLY I started journaling my calories and excercise.  Yes you read that right, I excercised yesterday.  Now I am at a loss.  The website I am using is The Everydayhealth.com journaling system and it gives me the exact number of calories to eat a day in order to burn 1 lb a week (which apparently is the website suggestion for healthy).   I have a lot to lose so it is a big number and already hard even eating small snack every two hours to consume those calories (I checked some other websites for bmr and it seems the number is correct).  So when I excercised it then took those calories I burned away from what I had eaten which left me in a 300 calorie deficit.  Do I need to then eat 300 more calories in order to keep from my body from storing food or will I just burn more b/c I excercised?  I certainly don't want to cause my body to go into what I call "starvation mode" where it doesn't burn b/c I don't eat enough.  I have struggled with that the past month b/c it is hard to eat the calories I am supposed to while eating healthy things.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
darbykeep
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:40 AM

You'll see many answers from the group on this one.  Many people will say that you need to eat back those 300 calories that you burned, but honestly, I think it just depends on your total calorie intake for the day.  For example, if you consumed 1800 calories for the day and burned 300 that left you at 1500 for the day, then it's okay and you don't need to eat those back.  If you had only eaten 1300 & then burned 300 which took you to 1000, then you do need to eat those back.  That's just my opinion.  It also depends on how much weight you have to lose and how many calories you're eating each day.  Does that make sense?

I hope that helps...also if you do eat those calories back, make sure you eat healthy food and not junk!

mcginnisc
by Claire on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:45 AM

Here's the thing...

One pound of fat contains 3500 calories this means that you have to burn an extra 3500 calories per week...this comes out to be a 500 calorie deficit between what you burn daily ( by breathing, working out, etc..) and what you consume.

When I was in loss mode, I would set my burn for 2000 and my consumption for 1500. I would burn over 2000 and then consume around 1300-1500 for a deficit of 500-700 daily. This ensured me a 1 lb weekly loss.

Claire

Allylicious
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:02 AM

That is helpful.  I will make it to at least 500 today.  That way I can ensure the weight loss.  Was confused as to if to add back in or no

darbykeep
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:05 AM

Very well said Claire.  Thanks for simplifying that for me:)

Allylicious
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Thanks, Darby that was really helpful. I have done exceptionally well not eating junk this last month, we are eating all lean meats, veggies, fruits, fiber, etc which is partly why I struggle to get in the calories they say I need, but I am really watching my calories now to make sure I am not over, not too far under, etc.  I also read an article today that says for all meals, snacks included to eat fiber with protien something about how it supercharges the way we metabolize it.  I will see if it is online as well later on and post it.  But I found it really helpful.  It includes all the things we already eat, just paring them together.  Like cheese with an apple...etc...

Quoting darbykeep:

You'll see many answers from the group on this one.  Many people will say that you need to eat back those 300 calories that you burned, but honestly, I think it just depends on your total calorie intake for the day.  For example, if you consumed 1800 calories for the day and burned 300 that left you at 1500 for the day, then it's okay and you don't need to eat those back.  If you had only eaten 1300 & then burned 300 which took you to 1000, then you do need to eat those back.  That's just my opinion.  It also depends on how much weight you have to lose and how many calories you're eating each day.  Does that make sense?

I hope that helps...also if you do eat those calories back, make sure you eat healthy food and not junk!

ChaoticAtBest
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Quoting darbykeep:

Very well said Claire.  Thanks for simplifying that for me:)

exactly! Thanks Claire!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)