Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

working your abs, do it or dont?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:59 AM
  • 12 Replies

ok so here is my question, I have been told that if I start working out my mid section (abs) i will gain muscle and not go down on size.. meaning my abs will look the same size but muscular.. which i don't want.

but other people tell me to go ahead and work them hard, that the fat will go off and my muscles will not grow..

who is right?  I want to work them so bad, because i store all my weight mainly in my midsection..

HELP!

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/yvonne37
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StephenieBryant
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:24 AM
Ive never heard that before... But you need cardio and ab workouts to shrink your stomach. If you work diligently on it, you will lose inches, and your stomach won't look the same.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yvonne37
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:30 AM

thanks.. i do cardio now, im working with the p90x and my treadmill, but have not started the dvd that concentrates on the abs.

veganmommy04
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:41 AM
I have always heard that ab exercises will strenghten ur abs and create muscles but those muscles will be under the fat until it gets worked off which is where the cardio comes in
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aquarianmom69
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:08 PM
I've been working mainly my abs + cardio and my mid section definitley does NOT look the same as before. Work those abs girl!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nngmommy83
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:32 PM
This is what I've heard also. I personally work my abs constantly to try and tighten my stomach again!

Quoting veganmommy04:

I have always heard that ab exercises will strenghten ur abs and create muscles but those muscles will be under the fat until it gets worked off which is where the cardio comes in

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natural.mama
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 4:07 PM

I do p90x and if you want a toned stomach AND strong core then you really need to work the abs. Just watch the video and you will see the lady on there doing the exercizes- her stomach is just flat and toned. I did the core synergetics video today and it was awesome!

MOM2SWEETNESSx3
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 4:25 PM

This is true. Doing BOTH are important!

Quoting veganmommy04:

3roosters1hen
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:53 PM

You need to work your core!  It is probably the most important.  If your core is strong you will burn the fat in your mid-section.  Lean muscle = burn fat.  Abs are an important part of a work out.  I say work them!!! and whats great is you can work your core everyday! No recovery needed!

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Feb. 20, 2011 at 6:19 PM

It's REALLY difficult for women to bulk up.  Men have more testosterone, which is why they are able to bulk up, plus their muscles are different (more muscle and less tendon, vs women, who have more tendon and less muscle, but that's why we're more flexible).  be aware that you will need to lose fat to shrink your waist as well, but ab work and other weight lifting will help firm and tone your shape.

NewMommyB
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 6:48 PM
Another tip too is a lean diet. That will help with the belly fat and once the fat dissipates if Ur working the abs Ur gonna see the muscle. Remember - abs r made in the kitchen :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)