Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bread Winners

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:29 AM
  • 4 Replies

Bread Winners

Confused by the rows and rows of breads at the store? We were. So we asked our experts for four rules to help you select the best loaf.

Whether you're whipping up a sandwich or a couple of slices of toast, most breads will only add inches to your waistline. Next time you're in the mood for some (healthy) carbs, keep these simple guidelines in mind.

IGNORE COLOR
White bread is never the best choice, but a darker hue doesn't mean the loaf is better, either. "That's very easy for companies to fake with food coloring," says Cynthia Harriman of the Whole Grains Council.

GO FOR WHOLE
You want a bread that's made with 100% whole wheat, oats, barley, or other grains, says Jennifer Nelson, R.D., a Mayo Clinic nutritionist. Whatever flour is on the ingredient list, it should always come from a 100% whole grain.

CHECK THE FIBER
A good loaf should have at least two grams of the stuff per slice.

DON'T FALL FOR "HEALTHY" PHRASES
Terms such as "stone-ground," "multi-grain," and "bran" don't mean the bread is better. Neither do lots of nuts and seeds. Buy the loaf if you like the taste, but don't let marketing be the deciding factor.

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phillipians 4:13

Group Mod- Healthy Weight Loss

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Predestinedmom
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:58 AM

I hate shopping for bread! I also look for breads that have any sort of sugar listed far from the beginnig ingredients. whole grain is def. the better way to go!

jendawn1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:27 AM
Thank you! I always stand in the ile wondering what to get. I hate bread shopping
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mkmb129
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:28 AM
I just make my own. Problem solved! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nykkii
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:04 PM

So sad that companies with put dye in the bread to fool ppl.  Wth? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)