Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

absolutely out of shape, and just joined a gym. what equipment and and excersize?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:50 AM
  • 21 Replies
I'm 28 y/o and weigh 260lbs. Horribly out of shape. I am looking for suggestions on what equipment to use, and what some of you ladies have fun doing. Honestly, I hate the treadmill and the eliptical. Thinking about trying the bike, cross country ski thing, and the row machine. But I know I'll get bored quickly.
What is your routine? Do you still do it even though you don't like it? Take classes?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LveMy2K1dS
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:19 PM

I do it at home! I can't get to a gym, I work at home. plus I know I would get bored if I did, and the thought of getting dressed and looking decent to go there does nothing for me lol. I have done P90X off and onn for the past year, and I just recently started the Insanity workout dvd's 4 days ago, and wow does it kick your butt!!  I couldn't imagine going to a gym, after doing this, it doesnt compare at all!!!

3earthangels
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:23 PM
How does that work for you? And at what level of fitness were you when you started? I've heard nothing but good about the P90X, but never heard of Insanity.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Natalie5
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:24 PM
I started at 237 and couldn't handle too much. I started with yhe treadmill- I knoe, boring, but it worked best for me. After as while I added the elliptical, and just recently added exercise tapes- I also work out at home. I am not much help cuz you do not like those exercises- but it has helped me lose 54 pounds since July. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3earthangels
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:26 PM
And I totally don't look good to go lol. Figure evryone else is there to sweat, why bother trying to impress them. When I did the tour there were several there in what looked like pj's. And most were older people there for silversneakers. That is the time of day I plan on going, right after I drop my oldest 2 off at school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3earthangels
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:27 PM
What tapes do you use?

Quoting Natalie5:

I started at 237 and couldn't handle too much. I started with yhe treadmill- I knoe, boring, but it worked best for me. After as while I added the elliptical, and just recently added exercise tapes- I also work out at home. I am not much help cuz you do not like those exercises- but it has helped me lose 54 pounds since July. Good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LveMy2K1dS
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:30 PM

I did not excercise much before doing P90X, at least not at that level. We would walk and stuff, but nothing major, It was hard at first, but it gets easier, I highly reccomend it!!!  Now Insanity, it is like 4 times harder in my opinion from what I got out of it in the last 4 days, I thought I was going to die each time LOL. I would reccomend P90X over Insanity for someone who hasn't worked out a lot.

Tigger0281
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:37 PM

If you get bored really easily, I think you should switch daily. One day do the bike, the next do the rower etc. Plus confusing your body like this will help you not hit plateaus as often. I would also suggest incorporating strength training as that will help your body burn calories longer than just cardio. Classes are another great thing, you can try them out to see which ones strike your fancy and do those as well.

I started at 220 and did the elliptical. After about 4-5 months I started taking Zumba classes as well which I loved. I have then gradually gone to the treadmill for interval training. At the gym now, I have done this machine that's kind of like an elliptical and a stair stepper.

fissette02
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Hi, I dont go to the gym..I have two kids that are in preschool part time, both at different times so I dont have time to go to the gym but I do use Insanity. I was very out of shape. All I did was go on walks occasionally and would get in brief routines of using my elliptical a couple times a week before the motivation would die out. I have been doing Insanity for 7+ months now and I love it. Not only do you lose weight but you really tone up. You dont need any equipment, you only use your own body weight. If you look on the website you will see that ppl of all weights can use it..the key to being able to do it is you go at YOUR OWN pace and take a short break when you need it! I've been doing it for a while and I still have to go at my own pace...otherwise if you are trying to do as many as the trainers are doing as fast as they are doing it you can over do it quickly and no one likes throwing up lol. I didnt weigh myself much while doing it, but I taped myself and I lost half an inch in my waist by the end of the 2nd week. Insanity is hard, but if working out was easy, everyone would do..no problem ;) and the more you do it the better you get at it and the better you feel/look. I know its hard to keep motivation, this is the longest I have ever stuck to an exercise routine, but if you decide to try it give it two weeks(no skipping days)and you will see results and results=motivation. Best of luck, hope you find something that you works for you!!

newmom_007
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:01 PM

i do zumba on m,w,f and the gym on tue , thurs , sat. And I have lost 5 pounds in 4 days doing this. The most important thing you need is cardio to lose fat.People will tell u to do weights to build muscle to burn more cals but doing cardio does build muscle it's just lean muscle instead of the bulky muscle you get from doing heavy weights. I HATED running but i built up my stamina and now it's not so bad. I can easily do 3/4 of a mile without stopping. And I use specific ab, leg and arm weight machines but i use super low weights (between 20-50 pounds depending on the machine) and i'll do 50-100 reps to build some lean feminine muscle.  

kaytikat
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:05 PM
Try the cybex arc. Its easier on the knees than the elliptical. For strength start with anyrhing really
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)