Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

55 down.....60-80 + to go????

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:15 AM
  • 17 Replies

what does big boned mean to you??? 

i should weigh 130-150 according to the bmi chart, but i had a personal trainer tell me once that 160-165 was a better goal because i was "big boned" (says the 5 foot 89 pound dripping wet waif) and to not overshoot my goal weight because it was very unrealistic.  i have never ever ever ever EVER been under 175 (and a size 12) in my whole life and for once i would like to know what it feels like to be a "normal" weight.

i know that seems stupid, but it is important to me to know that i COULD get down to that low of a weight in a healthy way, unless these big bones of mine are going to make that goal totally impossible. 

thoughts?  am i being unrealistic?  should i just pray for early onset osteoperosis and forget about this silly goal?

also, my skin is starting to look like frosty the snowman having a mai tai in jamaca.....any tips for tightening it up?

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Predestinedmom
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:19 AM

I think you can weigh what you think feels right!!! I am 176.5 now and want to weigh in at 134. I could lose more than that for my height, but I know how great I felt at that weight and will be fine getting to it and staying there!! If u want to be smaller then get there as long as it's healthy for u! good luck on your weight loss!!

tfro
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:21 AM

i have never been under like 175 (maybe in 3rd grade?) so i dont even know what it is like to be that thin....i know what it's like to weigh over 300 though lol!!!

Quoting Predestinedmom:

I think you can weigh what you think feels right!!! I am 176.5 now and want to weigh in at 134. I could lose more than that for my height, but I know how great I felt at that weight and will be fine getting to it and staying there!! If u want to be smaller then get there as long as it's healthy for u! good luck on your weight loss!!

Nykkii
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:22 AM

I think you should get down to 160.  Then decide if YOU want to go further.  She may just mean that you would be skin and bones at that weight and isn't sure if that's what you want... which is possible, depending on your height and bone structure. 

Ultimately, you should be happy.  Do what you want to do!

tfro
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:51 AM

i guess that is my question, how could i be skin and bones if that is what is considered a normal healthy weight range? 

i am 5 foot 6, naturally muscular and while i do have wide shoulders and hips so do lots of other people and they are "naturally" between 130-150! my grandma was 5 foot 9 1/2 and weighed 150 her entire life and she does not have what i would consider a small frame by any means.....does size 12 feet count as small lol???

do you think my goals should be different from the norm just because i weighed over 300 pounds at one point in my life?  do other ex-obese people ever get down that low or am i being unrealisitc? 

Quoting Nykkii:

I think you should get down to 160.  Then decide if YOU want to go further.  She may just mean that you would be skin and bones at that weight and isn't sure if that's what you want... which is possible, depending on your height and bone structure. 

Ultimately, you should be happy.  Do what you want to do!

QueenieAbby
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Hey Momma!

I'm quoting these figures from my nutrition study book from when I took a CEU class last year... so these are up-to-date figures.  For a 5'6" woman, normal weight range is:

Small Frame:  120-133

Medium Frame:  130-144

Large Frame:  140-159

But, how did your personal trainer know what your frame is.  Did he have a partciular test?  The easiest method for figuring your frame is by measuring your wrist.  Following are the measurements for your wrist to determine your frame size for those 5'6":

Small:  6.25"

Medium:  6.25 - 6.5"

Large:  More than 6.5"

Also, did your personal trainer do a skinfold measurement on you to determine your body fat percentage?  That would be the tell-tale on how much fat you need to lose. 

Don't be discouraged because you can get down to a healthy weight.  It just takes determination.  Stay motivated... keep exercising... and eat right.  If you're exercising 5-7 hours per week, then you're doing great in that department.  A lot of times, women think that they aren't exercising correctly and need to change that up when they aren't making progress on the scale.  But, it's usually what they're putting into their mouths that is holding them back.  Exercise and food go hand-in-hand.  I don't know what your diet is currently like, so I'm listing some foods here with a post I did from last week to help you just in case.  Keep your head up and you will reach your goals.  Just be patient.  ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wanted to post a bit of information on good "clean" foods to include in your diet.    Many women believe they need to count calories in order to lose weight which can be very aggravating to say the least as it's time consuming and a big headache.  But, counting calories isn't really necessary.  The best thing to start out with is to get into a habit of eating clean foods and balancing them.  There are so many fad diets on the market that tell you to either stay away from fat or carbs.  But, Ladies, that is NOT healthy!  Our bodies are meant to have protein, carbs (veggies, fruits, whole grains), and essential fats.  When we eat, we need to include all of these foods.  Most people who are overweight gained most of their weight because their diets were unbalanced, and it wasn't necessarily fat that got them there.  It was pre-packaged, processed, and refined foods that did.  Those are actually simple carbs -- JUNK foods!  So, make sure your meals and snacks are balanced from one of the foods from each category --> protein, carbs, and fats.  The following is a list that will help you if you haven't already been eating this way. It's not an exclusive list, but you'll get an idea of what's full of good nutrition that will feed your body lots of vitamins, boost your metabolism, and keep you healthy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PROTEINS:  lean red meats, skinless chicken breast, white turkey, fish (salmon, tuna, mackerel, etc.), pork tenderloin, egg whites, low-fat cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, skim milk, or protein powder/shake.

CARBS (Veggies, Fruits, & Whole Grains): 

Green & colorful veggies include broccoli, spinach, kale, collars, bell peppers, cucumbers, onions, etc.

Metabolic boosting fruits include grapefruits, apples, pears, and berries of all kinds.  Stay away from high sugar fruits like bananas and oranges.

Whole grains include oatmeal, brown or wild rice, sweet potatoes, and potatoes.  Make sure your servings of these are small because there are a lot of calories in these foods.  Also, stay away from corn as it is highly inflammatory and will cause gain.

ESSENTIAL FATS:  extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, flaxseed oil, flaxseed, olives, avocados, nuts (almonds, walnuts, and pecans), almond & cashew butter; natural peanut butter.  Make sure your servings of these are small because they are also high in calories.

~ Coach Abby, BS, FNS, CPT

"A healthy body is not only one that just looks great but is also one that is healthy and can perform throughout life.  Learn a healthy lifestyle with www.911BodyResQ.com!  Get your meal plan now!"

PookaboosMom
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:44 AM

If it makes you feel better, back before I had kids I wore a size 6.  I am 5'4" and when I wore a size 6 I also weighed 170 lbs.  I was muscular and I am big boned.  Every one is different, I have always been "solid" as is my daughter, where as my stepdaughter who is bigger than me and the same height weighs a lot less than me because she is what I call "fluffy."  That's a big reason why I measure progress by how I look, feel, and how my jeans fit, because if I go by weight I'd never be happy.  :)

tfro
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Quoting QueenieAbby:

Hey Momma!

I'm quoting these figures from my nutrition study book from when I took a CEU class last year... so these are up-to-date figures.  For a 5'6" woman, normal weight range is:

Small Frame:  120-133

Medium Frame:  130-144 see?  i knew i wasnt crazy :)

Large Frame:  140-159

But, how did your personal trainer know what your frame is.  Did he have a partciular test?  The easiest method for figuring your frame is by measuring your wrist.  Following are the measurements for your wrist to determine your frame size for those 5'6":

Small:  6.25"

Medium:  6.25 - 6.5" my wrist is 6.5 and not fat

Large:  More than 6.5"

Also, did your personal trainer do a skinfold measurement on you to determine your body fat percentage?  That would be the tell-tale on how much fat you need to lose. not a skin fold test, but she made me hold onto this machine that sent an electric current through my body, when i started with her i was 223 and it said my bmi was 32/33.  yesterday i did a hip to waist ratio calulation and got .8 and i did all my measurments and my body fat % came out to about 33%.  i was told that if i dont lose at least another 20% of my total body weight (from this point) i will be type 2 in less than 10 years but if i lose at least another 40 pounds i can cut my risk factor by over 80%!!!

Don't be discouraged because you can get down to a healthy weight.  It just takes determination.  Stay motivated... keep exercising... and eat right.  If you're exercising 5-7 hours per week, then you're doing great in that department.  i have a foot injury that keeps me from doing just about everything....if i work out even twice in one week i will pay for it for up to a month!  any suggestions?  i would love to go swimming but live 20 miles away from a pool and in wisconsin you can only swim outside for a few months out of the year.   A lot of times, women think that they aren't exercising correctly and need to change that up when they aren't making progress on the scale.  But, it's usually what they're putting into their mouths that is holding them back.  at this point the only thing i have done to lose the weight has been cutting out milk and going gluten free which cuts a tremendous amount of carbs out of my diet.  but i dont really count calories....i used to just worry about sugar content (i am borderline type 2) but now i am starting to realize i eat WAY too much saturated fat and sodium.  Exercise and food go hand-in-hand.  I don't know what your diet is currently like, so I'm listing some foods here with a post I did from last week to help you just in case.  Keep your head up and you will reach your goals.  Just be patient.  ;) i am trying to up my weight loss since i have plateued again, please let me know if this sounds like an unhealthy diet plan!

60g or less a day of fat (increasing the omega 3's!)

76 grams a day of lean protien (good bye hamburger....sigh)

70 grams a day of carbs (as many complex carbs as possible)

35+ grams of fiber a day (from the veggies/fruit)

veggies and fruits with high fiber contents are "free food", veggies and fruits with high sugar content/low fiber get counted as a carb!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wanted to post a bit of information on good "clean" foods to include in your diet.    Many women believe they need to count calories in order to lose weight which can be very aggravating to say the least as it's time consuming and a big headache.  But, counting calories isn't really necessary.  The best thing to start out with is to get into a habit of eating clean foods and balancing them.  There are so many fad diets on the market that tell you to either stay away from fat or carbs.  But, Ladies, that is NOT healthy!  Our bodies are meant to have protein, carbs (veggies, fruits, whole grains), and essential fats.  When we eat, we need to include all of these foods.  Most people who are overweight gained most of their weight because their diets were unbalanced, and it wasn't necessarily fat that got them there.  It was pre-packaged, processed, and refined foods that did.  Those are actually simple carbs -- JUNK foods!  So, make sure your meals and snacks are balanced from one of the foods from each category --> protein, carbs, and fats.  The following is a list that will help you if you haven't already been eating this way. It's not an exclusive list, but you'll get an idea of what's full of good nutrition that will feed your body lots of vitamins, boost your metabolism, and keep you healthy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PROTEINS:  lean red meats, skinless chicken breast, white turkey, fish (salmon, tuna, mackerel, etc.), pork tenderloin, egg whites, low-fat cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, skim milk, or protein powder/shake.

CARBS (Veggies, Fruits, & Whole Grains): 

Green & colorful veggies include broccoli, spinach, kale, collars, bell peppers, cucumbers, onions, etc.

Metabolic boosting fruits include grapefruits, apples, pears, and berries of all kinds.  Stay away from high sugar fruits like bananas and oranges.

Whole grains include oatmeal, brown or wild rice, sweet potatoes, and potatoes.  Make sure your servings of these are small because there are a lot of calories in these foods.  Also, stay away from corn as it is highly inflammatory and will cause gain.

ESSENTIAL FATS:  extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, flaxseed oil, flaxseed, olives, avocados, nuts (almonds, walnuts, and pecans), almond & cashew butter; natural peanut butter.  Make sure your servings of these are small because they are also high in calories.

tfro
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:10 PM

when i weighed 175 i was a size 12 but i have that gross apron of fat that hangs over my belly and onto my thighs..... i "lovingly"  refer to my apron as my butt in the front lol!

Quoting PookaboosMom:

If it makes you feel better, back before I had kids I wore a size 6.  I am 5'4" and when I wore a size 6 I also weighed 170 lbs.  I was muscular and I am big boned.  Every one is different, I have always been "solid" as is my daughter, where as my stepdaughter who is bigger than me and the same height weighs a lot less than me because she is what I call "fluffy."  That's a big reason why I measure progress by how I look, feel, and how my jeans fit, because if I go by weight I'd never be happy.  :)

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:01 PM

You can do it!  I'm 55 lbs down, with about 80 to go myself!!  You sound just like me- when I was my thinnest, I was 174 and about a size 10/12.  I'm trying to get to about 135.  You CAN do it!!  It will take work, as you know, but you can do it!

megz2011
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:34 PM

I'm 5'8, at 250lb I was a size 18. At 140 I was a comfortable size 8. I concider myself big boned, however I'm probably more medium but I have huge hips and broad shoulders so being anything much lower than 140 and I look ridiculous.

I wouldnt really worry about the number on the scale as much as how you feel about yourself. If you're comfortable at 175, that is still not a terrible weight. Anyway, it's totally possible for you to get there but don't worry yourself of the number on the scale. As long as youre healthy, out of the type 2 worry zone, etc- you're good :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)