Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did an extra long workout and I GAINED a pound? WTH Man!

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:08 AM
  • 11 Replies

So last night, I did chest and back with my DF, then decided that I needed to sweat more so I ran around the block three times, Came back in and did Ab ripper X. (i do p90x)

I did not eat any differently, maybe even ate better because there wasn't many carbs in my dinner.

This morning the scale shows a pound and a half more than yesterday, How does that happen!? It's discouraging, I'd rather do the bare minimum and maintain my weight, then to bust my ass and gain. Ugh!

banging head into wall

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Predestinedmom
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Sometimes I go up the next day after a hard workout, but the following day my scale usually goes back down. Maybe u could have even gained muscle too? Don't give up!!

ChaoticAtBest
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:07 AM

how close is that time of the month? Did you weigh yourself at the same time as before? did you eat or drink anything before weighing?

Honestly, my weight can fluctuate 3-4 lbs easily in a given day, try not to stress too much!

Livin4_AnO
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:27 AM
Thats exactly why I only weigh myself once a week! lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
reneawesley
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:30 AM
I know it can be frustrating but fluctuations are normal. The same thing has happened to me. Just remember it will all be worth it in the end.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Carloe09
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:46 AM
A few weeks ago I killed my workout - burned 400 calories at home with my Wii then went to the gym and did 60 minutes on the eliptical for 600 calories. I thought when I weighed the next day I'd see a difference. Yep, I went up a pound. But a few days later I was down two pounds. I think it might have been muscle, but don't get discouraged.

The main thing you have to remember: the only weight you gain by exercising is muscle and that's a good thing. Stick with it and you'll see results.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Marimaru
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:49 PM

If you insist on weighing every day (and I do), only count one day a week as a weigh in day.  Use the other days to kind of monitor the ups and downs, but only one day really counts for your official "how much have I lost" tally.

I am ALWAYS up on Mondays.  I have a strict diet Monday through Friday, and it's more relaxed on the weekends, although I don't go way overboard or anything.  Some weekends, like this past weekend it just doesn't make sense that I'd be up.  But, by Wednesday, I'm back down where I was, if not more. 

LveMy2K1dS
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:12 PM

I've done P90X and now I do insanity, and I have had the same problem, its because you are burning fat and gaining muscle, I wouldn't let it discourage you, you'll get there. measure your inches instead of weighing yourself!

luvhubandbabys
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:16 PM
Go by inches or how clothing feels. That's the best way. Cuz right now I weigh 153 but like prebaby I weighed 138 like 5 yrs ago. My hip and waist measurements are the same. So even I weighed less 5 yrs ago I must have more muscle right now. That's what counts I think. Just keep at it. I'm sure it will even out eventually.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
k_hall1784
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:19 PM
That happens to me too! I have no idea why. What I have noticed happening is after I gain, I lose drastically. Like a couple of weeks ago, I gained about 2lbs over night. For the next 3 days, I was dropping 2lbs a day, literally! Then for the days following that, it was 1lb. I dropped about 8lbs in one week. I did a happy dance in my bathroom next to the scale. LOL. Oh, I'm doing Atkins btw. I'm down 18lbs in 6 weeks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caterpilar
by Silver Member on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:43 PM

That is exactly what happened to me yesterday only I gained 2lbs instead of 1! I worked out for 2 hours on Monday and Tuesday morning I stepped on the scale and I was 2lbs heavier than the day before! It is soooo frustrating! I weighed this morning and I have lost 1.4lbs since yesterday.    

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)