Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sodium? Fiber?

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:50 PM
  • 7 Replies

Do you keep track of sodium? If so, what's "normal" for you to take in daily? I'm having a hard time keeping it low. I don't think I eat alot of processed stuff, but a "normal day" for me is between 1800-2400 mg, and this is the high end of what spark says I should get. 

What about fiber? I should be getting 20+g a day? I'm averaging 9 or 10..lol what am i doing wrong? I eat tons of fruit & veggies.

Truthfully, I'm having problems keeping calories up, carbs and fats down, fiber up, and sodium down. Ugh. This nutrition stuff is complicated :/

Jenn

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Predestinedmom
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:53 PM

I don't so I'm not sure? I've heard that too much sodium causes someone to hold water.

joeykttn
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:56 PM

yea, that's what I think..that I'm eating way too much and retaining water, so I started tracking it, and it's crazy :/ I want low carb because carbs make me gain. I want low fat so I'm burning my own fat haha and I want calories to be above 1000 a day...which if i'm watching everything else, is impossible. I'm lost

Deb51956
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Recommended daily fiber should be between 25 - 35 grams of fiber daily.

mcginnisc
by Claire on Apr. 13, 2011 at 10:10 PM

The trick is WHAT fruits and veggies are you eating?? Some have more fiber than others..apples have a good amount of fiber, spinach, raspberries...just to name a few...beans have a ton of fiber to them ( black beans especially)

Fiber One products are a great way to get fiber as are whole grain or whole wheat products. The Fiber One shredded wheat cereal has 12 grams of fiber per serving.. I use La Banderita whole wheat high fiber tortillas and they have 12 grams as well...

I tend to get about 45 grams of fiber per day...

Claire

twinsnseptember
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:47 PM
If ur phone has internet download a calorie counter. I have 1 from fatsecret.com. it allowes u to track everything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JenniferZiemba
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 12:00 AM

2400 mg of sodium for a 2000 calorie diet is normal.  So if your on a 1200 calorie diet (which you should not go below) 1200 - 1600 is about what you should consume.  I think it's hard to count everything.  I count calories and fiber.  I only count fiber because foods high in fiber make me feel fuller.   

MommytoBlake04
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 12:00 AM

my box of cereal says 45 but you're probably right. i have no idea i just try and eat plenty of it because its good for you and helps you lose weight and stay full during the day. just try and eat plenty of cereal, whole wheat foods, plus as much veggies and fruits as you can. they have those fiber bars and other snacks or fiber drink mix also if you're worried about not getting enough. now the sodium thing i can't be much help on because i struggle with that. i like salt and i tend to get a lot of sodium i think and i need to stop it!! lol

Quoting Deb51956:

Recommended daily fiber should be between 25 - 35 grams of fiber daily.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)