Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bread

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:12 AM
  • 6 Replies
It was asked in the other forum but I thought we could get an expert opinion on which type of bread is good, better, best! Multi-grain, whole grain, wheat, white, potatoe, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Jory
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 11:36 PM

I'm not an expert but i would say whole grain and multi grain are the best. white is a no no and regular wheat or whole wheat is okay if your on a budget. i don't eat flavored breads like the potatoe so i wouldn't know.

ElisaZied
by on Jul. 11, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Whole wheat bread that boasts at least 3 grams of fiber per slice is a very healthful, whole grain option. To tell if your favorite bread is whole grain, read the ingredients list on the package-it should list the following as the first ingredient: a whole grain (with name of grain), whole wheat, whole (with name of grain), stoneground whole (with name of grain). Make sure to choose breads with little or no added sugar--some breads can be surprising sources of the sweet stuff! (4 grams of sugar = one teaspoon). Hope this helps!

Elisa Zied, MS, RD, CDN; elisazied.com 

Hope_Warshaw
by on Jul. 12, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Elisa -

Thanks for your great response. Glad you beat me to it!

Yes, there have been myriad breads added to the supermarket shelves and it's enough to make us all a bit crazy!

A couple of additional points:
- Find a health whole wheat/whole grain bread that you and your family enjoys (remember if they're not going to eat it, you may need to slowly transition your family members to a healthier bread. One step at a time. If you are now using a 0 grams of fiber bread and you move to 1-2 grams/slice - that's progress.

-The rush is on to fill breads with fiber so you are seeing some with "double fiber" and they have around 4 grams/slice....guess what, they don't taste great (at least to me).

- A good product(s) to come along for the kiddies and for us calorie counters is the whole grain/high fiber sandwich thins (the big bread brands have their variety). We started buying them in the Spring and my daugther was pleased to take sandwiches on them.

A wonderful reliable resource to educate yourself on whole grains is: The Whole Grains Council - www. wholegrainscouncil.org.

Also, keep in mind (and not to be confusing) whole grains are not the same as dietary fiber. Here's a blog I wrote that might sorth this out if you are confused: http://www.hopewarshaw.com/blog/whole-grains-and-dietary-fibers-end-your-confusion.

Have a great day!

Hope Warshaw, RD, CDE

Stefanie83
by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 10:32 AM

thanks ladies!  i'm definitely going to check out my bread's label when i get home ;)

Gloria_Tsang
by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Both Elisa and Hope shared great points!  I'm the type of person who gets bored with the same thing very easily.  So you're tired with square bread, try other bread varieties!  We've published a feature last year about different bun options to jazz up your sandwich. http://www.healthcastle.com/sandwich_buns.shtml

Livin4_AnO
by on Jul. 16, 2011 at 12:49 AM
Awesome post! I need to check mine as well :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)