Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Settle this debate for us

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:23 PM
  • 18 Replies

My friend and I were dining out. Had calculated the number of calories for our meals. At the end of the meal, she starts subtracting calories for food that she didn't eat.

I say if it's on your plate, the calories are yours - no subtracting. She says that she didn't finish all the pasta and it's a deductible, didn't eat the crust on the bread - subtract. Had them to box her dessert - subtract. Is she going to get the dessert calorie free later?

Okay, I can compromise taking 30 calories off for the pasta, 10 calories for the bread crust, and 420 calories for the dessert (long as she adds the dessert when she eats it).  

She thinks that she's entitled to subtract 50% of the calories. The pasta dish had 720 calories and she subtracted 360 calories for about 1/2 cup of pasta that she dragged out of the sauce. She said that everybody knows that the crust on bread has the most calories.

What do you think? (if I ordered a hotdog, I wouldn't subtract relish just because I didn't put any on)

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:25 PM
When we eat out i alway just add in the entire amount of calories. But thats me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beti78
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Count the calories you actually I ate...even if you eat them later.

Mweddle
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:50 PM

well you should count the calories you eat so if she only ate half her pasta then she only had half the calories.

MeredithDav
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Quoting Mweddle:

well you should count the calories you eat so if she only ate half her pasta then she only had half the calories.

She ate all the pasta sauce and meat. She just dragged out some of the pasta. I think that most of the calories are in the sauce. Maybe meat had fewer calories than the pasta, it was chicken.

Stefanie83
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:34 PM
Well I don't see why it matters how your friend does it. Lol. But I try to put for what I actually eat. If I eat 3/4 of something, I put 3/4. I do try to be safe and overestimate the calories I eat but sounds like she's the opposite. Lol. Maybe she wants to be sure she eats enough?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GigantaursMommy
by Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:36 PM

I solve this by just eating everything on my plate. But if I only had a few noodles and a crust of bread left no I wouldn't subtract those calories since a calorie count is an estimate anyways I may have already reached that point.

Stefanie83
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:39 PM
That's true. Usually the actually calories are like 10% more

Quoting GigantaursMommy:

I solve this by just eating everything on my plate. But if I only had a few noodles and a crust of bread left no I wouldn't subtract those calories since a calorie count is an estimate anyways I may have already reached that point.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Let your friend do it the way she wants to ...if she doesn't count all the calories she's actually eating, then she's just cheating herself...oh well...that's her issue, not yours:)  If I eat it, then I count the calories...if I don't eat it, then I don't count it...simple as that for me!

M2EandB
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:50 PM

I agree with Darby! I wouldn't worry about what she is doing....if she is not adding it up accuratelyit will show on the scale but that's her problem. I coun't what I eat not what's on the plate.

Powerstamper
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 2:24 AM
I only count what I eat. If a whole sandwich is 400 calories and I only eat half then I only count 200 calories. Some meals are harder to do that with though. I tend to err on the side of caution and count my calories on the high side. I'd rather not eat enough than too many. I don't think I would worry about subtracting crust. That's too trivial for me personally.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)