Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ugh c25k is trying to kill me

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:51 AM
  • 12 Replies
I was doing great up until the last workout of week six. I did the other 20 min run and now I am at a 25 minute run and I am dying. I am sweating way more and getting shin splints! What can I do? I don't understand how one day I am doing great and then POOF! I SUCK! Help me out runners!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yngmomma21833
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:11 AM

I am not sure! I am on week 3 of c25k. Here is a bump!

kaylamae90
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:26 AM
It's very weird. I was doing so great and then it just stopped
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jendawn1
by Ruby Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:46 AM
Bump for you. I'm not a runner yet. Hope you feel better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaylamae90
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:36 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Erica_Smerica
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Make sure you are stretching and take a few off days here and there. Plus cross training. 

My only other thought is that it's totally normal to have an off day. I know I am physically capable of running 10+ miles, but there are some days when I get out there and it's all I can do to finish one. Sometimes I think that might be our body's way of saying it's time to slow down for a little bit and then get back on track. 

Good luck! 

JleeG
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:32 PM
Some days (like today) I just suck at running. It's normal. Ice (mineral ice or icy hot helps too) your legs. Stretch. Do like you're doin the calf stretch but leave your feet close and bend at your knees until you feel it in the calf at the back leg. That part of the muscle, stretching it may help your shin splints. Are you running on pavement or different type of terrain (going from trail to pavement to grass etc)? That may be causing it too. Switching terrain contributes. Pavement also pounds hard on your legs, if there isn't a track nearby maybe find a trail, less impact on your legs. Otherwise do some easy jogs and ice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JleeG
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 3:34 PM
Oh shoes are a big part too, try going to an actual runing shoe store and try to find the right shoes for you. It'll help a lot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaylamae90
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:24 PM

So maybe this is just an "i suck" day.  I have been fitted for shoes and I am running on a treadmill.  I know at this point I should be able to run for 2 miles.  I have done it.  My body is just saying no right now.  I think I will redo this week and try again. 

Not.So.Virginal
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:30 PM

when my shins are hurting, I ice them when I get home. I also heard that you can crush some ibuprophen and rub that on your shins with the ice. Somebody else will correct me if that's wrong.

I also don't think you suck, you're getting out there and doing it, and that's better than a LOT of people. If you have time, you can repeat a week (if you're not running towards a 5K right away) and try to get more comfortable with that before moving forward.

Right now I'm training for a 1/2 marathon in October and I started early so that I could work up to what they were asking for me to do. When my legs hurt, I try to rest the best I can after until the next run and then ice after a run.

Not.So.Virginal
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:32 PM

my shin splints were worse on the treadmill than on the road.... it could be messing with your gait. But if you've been on the treadmill this whole time and it's just starting to bug you, that may not be it.

I hope you figure it out, good luck and dont give up

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)