Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

thyroid?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:50 AM
  • 8 Replies

My mom and my grandma...hell all my aunts too are all obese. I work really hard at trying to lose weight and i know everyone is different but i never get the same results as others (like say in a zumba class) and yes i know its not just exercise i work on eating healthy and the right amount. But recently my grandma got some thyroid pills and she is now at a healthy weight... And she changed nothing in her daily exercise or diet. A month latter my mom went in and got the same pill some result.

So i asked my doctor about it (who I'm not impressed with anyway) and he just felt my throat and said seems fine...
A part of me accepted it and just thought well i just must not be working hard enough.
But the other half of me said... Come on every other female on my moms side has this problem ! What up? I'm working my ass off and i am still "obese" ... (100lbs over weight ya that's obese.) I for sure walk an hour everyday... Now i even walk with the baby on my back... Come on i should be getting somewhere...

So what do u think should i get. Second opinion? Or could i just be doing something wrong?
I cut out processed foods, i walk everyday, i get my calorie intake close to my bmr. I should lose something after a month right? ...or is a month to short?
*sigh*

banging head into wall

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mcginnisc
by Claire on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Hmmm....close to your BMR? Are you talking your actual BMR or are you talking loss calories after working out? There is a difference in those numbers. I can't remember if I've done your BMR or not...

Do you journal your food on a site like MFP or livestrong? 

What does your diet look like? Would you be willing to post a day's menu for me to peruse and possibly tweak? 

It could be your thyroid...let me take a look at your menu and do your BMR for my benefit so that I can see what is going on in those areas... are you just walking or are you incorporating strength training? You may need to switch up your workouts and the durations... you may need to increase your calorie intake. How many calories are you consuming daily? 

I know it is a lot of questions, but if you give me that information maybe I can help you a bit... Oh and if I could get your age, height, weight and exercise schedule/durations I can do your BMR, maintenance and loss calories so that I can see just what is going on...

claire

mom_of2_n_twins
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Once Claire figures up everything and see if you are doing it all right then I would say go for a second opinion. Maybe the doc your grandma and mom used. But let Chaire check into it first. Good luck with everything though .

Crash13199
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:18 AM

I use mfp at first i had it set to lose 2lbs a week and everyone said it was a bad idea. So i put it to 'normal', i eat after i walk to make up the calories...usually a bowl of oatmeal cause i love it. it's like my new cake :P

anyway. I am 25, about 5'8" about 214. 

i have oatmeal or cereal or bagel and lite cream cheese for breakfast.

usually a ham and cheese sandwich or lite bean and cheese burrito.

and for supper i try to have a chicken breast with veggies. 

main snacks are, no butter popcorn, mini babybel lite cheese, banana, apple, rarely an orange. 

those are my usuals. 

I walk one day with both kids in the stroller and the next day with one in a stroller and one on my back. at least for 60min. i did find a 5lb weight...but i only found the one and have done nothing with it :P

i think thats all?

Quoting mcginnisc:

Hmmm....close to your BMR? Are you talking your actual BMR or are you talking loss calories after working out? There is a difference in those numbers. I can't remember if I've done your BMR or not...

Do you journal your food on a site like MFP or livestrong? 

What does your diet look like? Would you be willing to post a day's menu for me to peruse and possibly tweak? 

It could be your thyroid...let me take a look at your menu and do your BMR for my benefit so that I can see what is going on in those areas... are you just walking or are you incorporating strength training? You may need to switch up your workouts and the durations... you may need to increase your calorie intake. How many calories are you consuming daily? 

I know it is a lot of questions, but if you give me that information maybe I can help you a bit... Oh and if I could get your age, height, weight and exercise schedule/durations I can do your BMR, maintenance and loss calories so that I can see just what is going on...

claire

suziq1982
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Get Second Opinion. They need to do comprehensive thyroid blood work. Usually you have to ask for it to be comprehensive too. It took them 7years to dx mine correctly. I won't overweight in that 7years but it was messed up. One Dr did a comprehensive lab work for thyroid and found out I was hypothyroidism and diabetic. He could tell that I had it for a long time and it was left untreated for a long time. My mom it took them 10years to find hers. With her it also only took one Dr to do comprehensive lab instead of basics.

mcginnisc
by Claire on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:27 AM

BMR: 1788

Maintenance while working out 5 days per week: 1788*1.55=2771 

To lose 1 lb per week: 2771-500=2271 

Your ideal range is 1778-2271 calories per day. How many are you typically eating? 

You need A LOT more fruits and veggies...you should average about 65% of your diet in carbs- whole grains and veggies/fruits. You should also drink half you weight in water daily. This will help tremendously. 

I would also switch up your workouts. Walking is okay, but it is not going to really give you the results that you want. You need to incorporate strength training into your workouts. Cardio is essential...pushing a stroller and wearing a munchkin is great, but it won't burn as many calories as 30 minutes of serious cardio will burn..as you build more muscle in strength training, you will burn more fat in cardio workouts. 

Claire

Crash13199
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:32 AM

good to know thanks!

Quoting suziq1982:

Get Second Opinion. They need to do comprehensive thyroid blood work. Usually you have to ask for it to be comprehensive too. It took them 7years to dx mine correctly. I won't overweight in that 7years but it was messed up. One Dr did a comprehensive lab work for thyroid and found out I was hypothyroidism and diabetic. He could tell that I had it for a long time and it was left untreated for a long time. My mom it took them 10years to find hers. With her it also only took one Dr to do comprehensive lab instead of basics.

Crash13199
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 10:41 AM

mfp had me at 1,768 :P 

i only i had 1 fruit a day because someone said something about "even if it's a natural sugar its still a sugar." but i always feel out of energy. 

I try to get my 8 cups of water a day. 

any tip for at home cardio? I don't have any spare $ for a gym or anything.

my big workout everyweek is ...cutting the grass :P (sad i know)

jeez it looks like i have been making a bunch of mistakes :P

thanks so much for the help! 

Quoting mcginnisc:

BMR: 1788

Maintenance while working out 5 days per week: 1788*1.55=2771 

To lose 1 lb per week: 2771-500=2271 

Your ideal range is 1778-2271 calories per day. How many are you typically eating? 

You need A LOT more fruits and veggies...you should average about 65% of your diet in carbs- whole grains and veggies/fruits. You should also drink half you weight in water daily. This will help tremendously. 

I would also switch up your workouts. Walking is okay, but it is not going to really give you the results that you want. You need to incorporate strength training into your workouts. Cardio is essential...pushing a stroller and wearing a munchkin is great, but it won't burn as many calories as 30 minutes of serious cardio will burn..as you build more muscle in strength training, you will burn more fat in cardio workouts. 

Claire

mcginnisc
by Claire on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Yes, fruit is a natural sugar...however it is a HEALTHY choice! More veggies is a definite though. I eat at least a fruit or veggie or both at every meal most days. 

Cardio is easy- you can do c25K...couch to 5K- it is a running program that teaches you to run a 5k ( 3.1 miles) in 9 weeks..you can also invest in some cheaper DVDs- there are a million on the market...Biggest Loser, Jillian Michaels, Billy Blanks, Bob Harper, etc..most of them are $10 or less at Walmart. 

Claire

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)