• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

being under daily calories....

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:27 PM
  • 10 Replies

Okay ladies, I seem to be going under my daily calories the last 2 days. I am not sure how that happened except for obviously I am not eating enough! I have been doing much better at tracking on myfitnesspal and when I add afternoon snack (f there was one) and dinner, I have been 200-400 under. So, how long does it take for your body to go into starvation mode? Is it better to eat more to get closer to my calorie goal, even though it is at least 9pm?? My calories according to BMR (done just last week) is 1427-1711, and I haven't been getting close to 1427 unless I eat at night. I always have an evening snack, usually a treat of 100 calories or so and something healthier.

I am eating great during the day, fruits/vegies, whole wheat bread, protein, not enough dairy though. So what are your thoughts? I know I should be tracking more throughout the day so I can plan to have enough, especially when I exercise. So, should I also eat back my exercise calories that I gained??

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by Claire on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Quoting wahmx3:

Okay ladies, I seem to be going under my daily calories the last 2 days. I am not sure how that happened except for obviously I am not eating enough! I have been doing much better at tracking on myfitnesspal and when I add afternoon snack (f there was one) and dinner, I have been 200-400 under. So, how long does it take for your body to go into starvation mode?Believe it or not, only 2 days. 

Is it better to eat more to get closer to my calorie goal, even though it is at least 9pm??Short answer..yes..you need to be in calorie range or you will go into starvation mode.

My calories according to BMR (done just last week) is 1427-1711, and I haven't been getting close to 1427 unless I eat at night. I always have an evening snack, usually a treat of 100 calories or so and something healthier.

I am eating great during the day, fruits/vegies, whole wheat bread, protein, not enough dairy though. So what are your thoughts? I know I should be tracking more throughout the day so I can plan to have enough, especially when I exercise. So, should I also eat back my exercise calories that I gained??Well, I dislike MFP greatly due to the whole "eat back calories". When I do BMR, maintenance and loss calories I take into account workouts- there is no eating back calories- it is eat within your ideal range. If your range is 1427-1711 then that is what you should consume daily. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Moderator- Healthy Weight Loss

Mom2Jack04
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:33 PM

I hear conflicting numbers on the starvation mode, been the majority of what I see says 3-5 days....which is why fasts don't usually last any longer than that!  Pick a higher calorie, healthy fat to add in to bump it up....such as adding a serving of almonds to a meal of snack or adding half an avacado to a salad or eggs, burrito, etc etc.  Those alone should get you pretty darn close.

The evening snack, you can add a few more calories with it, like when I eat my greek yogurt, I can put some banana in it or some chopped nuts or granola.....or with my raw veggies I can have some hummus or even a laughing cow cheese wedge

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Claire's right on the money for this!  You need to eat your BMR each day...no matter what!  Eat more earlier in the day vs. at night...eat more protein and fiber earlier in the day, and you'll be fuller for longer as well:)

Good luck!

Stefanie83
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:00 PM

it's a controversial topic but i like these links/articles

http://www.healthscience.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=512:are-you-in-the-starvation-mode-or-starving-for-truth&catid=102:jeff-novicks-blog&Itemid=267

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=35501&sc=801

Article By: The Weight Watchers Research Department

The idea that "not eating enough" causes the body to stop losing weight because it goes into "starvation mode" is a popular myth among dieters.

Restricting calories during weight loss lowers metabolism1 because the body becomes more efficient, requiring fewer calories to perform the necessary daily functions for survival. Consequently, this can slow (but not stop) the anticipated rate of weight loss.

For example, if an individual needs 2,000 calories per day to maintain weight, reducing intake to 1,500 calories, assuming exercise stays the same, should provide a 1 pound per week weight loss (Note: 1 pound of weight is equivalent to about 3,500 calories). Furthermore, reducing to 1,000 calories should result in a weight loss of 2 pounds per week and going down to 500 calories a day should result in a weight loss of 3 pounds per week. However, if an individual actually reduces their intake to 500 calories, the weight loss would not likely be a steady 3 pounds per week because of the reduced metabolic rate. It would likely be around 2¼ to 2½ pounds. This "lower than expected" rate of weight loss is a lot different than "no" weight loss as the "starvation mode" notion proposes.

It is unclear as to whether the relationship between reduced caloric intake and a lower metabolism follows a straight path or becomes more pronounced the greater the caloric reduction. Some studies have found no significant reduction in metabolism until the caloric restriction is quite large (e.g. 800 calories or less per day).2 Others suggest a linear relationship with small reductions in metabolism accompanying small reductions in caloric restriction, with the gap increasing as the caloric deficit is enlarged.

While there is no biologic evidence to support the "starvation mode" myth, there may be behavioral reasons why weight loss stops when calories are severely reduced. Over-restriction of calorie intake, known as high dietary restraint is linked to periods of overeating, hindering successful weight loss.3 (For more information on dietary restraint, read the Science Center article, The Skill of Flexible Restraint).

Metabolism after Weight Loss
The good news is that after the weight-loss goal is achieved and weight has stabilized, it does not appear that the dip in metabolism is permanent. Several rigorous studies done at the University of Alabama in Birmingham showed that metabolism goes back to expected levels with sustained weight loss,4 discounting the theory that a lowered metabolism helps to explain the common phenomenon of weight regain following weight loss.

Weight Watchers Approach
The <PointsPlus system is designed to provide a caloric intake that supports a healthy rate of weight loss, produces a minimal reduction in metabolism and avoids inducing too-high levels of dietary restraint.

This content is reviewed regularly. Last updated November 20, 2010.

mom_of2_n_twins
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Ok Claire quick question. I use MFP and I know it adds back in my exercise calories for the day but I never go by my "net" numbers only by my "food" numbers. Is that ok? My BMR says between 1464-1783 or something like that and I always eat to 1464. Some days I go over but most days I eat 1464 or like 20 cal under.

MamaKarrot
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Sometimes I have super low days - it happens.  I try to balance them out with higher days and that has seemed to have helped.  Not every day will be perfect, for sure. :)

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Helica888
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:22 PM
Omg i have the my fitness tracker app too i just atarted it again today
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Claire on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Quoting mom_of2_n_twins:

Ok Claire quick question. I use MFP and I know it adds back in my exercise calories for the day but I never go by my "net" numbers only by my "food" numbers. Is that ok? My BMR says between 1464-1783 or something like that and I always eat to 1464. Some days I go over but most days I eat 1464 or like 20 cal under.

I would go by food numbers... I don't like MFP for that reason alone...shrugs... Try to get at least your BMR and maybe a bit more. It will help you in the long run.

Claire

" I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Moderator- Healthy Weight Loss

mom_of2_n_twins
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Awesome thanks. Its easier for me to do MFP then to write it down b/c sometimes i can't figure out the portions and everythign but I will do that thanks again :)

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting mom_of2_n_twins:

I would go by food numbers... I don't like MFP for that reason alone...shrugs... Try to get at least your BMR and maybe a bit more. It will help you in the long run.

Claire

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

JleeG
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 8:07 PM

I go under every now and then. Just happens. I eat and I just don't want to eat anymore so I don't. I try not to force myself unless always under eating becomes a habit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)