Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Processed foods....

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:54 PM
  • 22 Replies

I know I shouldn't eat them and I do really good mostly. I don't eat mac and cheese anymore. I do eat the occasional bowl of Mult-Grain Cheerios if I am lazy and don't want to cook. We occasional will get the Rice Sides in bags.

Anyways, my point with this is how bad are they really? I mean if you eat the occasional or maybe eat a Lean Pocket or Lean Cruisine for lunch?

I never know what to buy for lunch for me. The boys usually eat a turkey or ham sandwich but I try to not eat a lot of bread. If I have leftovers then I will eat them. 

What can I do for lunches? Tuna fish sandwich? We don't have a lot of money to spend on extra food so I just buy lunch fixings for my husband and the kids eat that. 

Help!

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 5:55 PM
Bump, i still eat processed food. I just eat a 'healthy' size portion
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:10 PM
It's "bad" for you because the more it's processed the more opportunities it has to lose nutrition and have crappy things added. Lunch meat is a great example. It's horrible for you. It's pumped full of all kinds of chemicals, preservatives, sodium..
The less processed it is, you also know more how it's been cooked, so you'll know if it's been fried, etc.
I know all about tight budget. Think beans & rice! I have a black bean, chick pea, brown rice, tomatoes dish that makes 5 bowl servings, had about 330 calories in each and costs about $3 (less if you buy dry beans and soak/cook instead of canned)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:12 PM
That's $3 for all 5 servings, so less than a dollar per serv.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katiebug840204
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:17 PM
I usually eat leftovers from dinner, sandwiches(ham or turkey, chicken salad or tuna salad). Canned soup(Is that processed?). Fruit and raw veggies, stuffed pita bread with hummus and chicken. Mini pizzas made on flat bread or biscuits.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
flowrsgalore
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:18 PM

yes my family eats plenty of processed food. I have hotdogs in the fridge right now.  I have awful guilt w/ food, it's so dang hard to not eat stuff you shouldn't.  I'm contemplating getting our beef & chicken from a local gal who raises her animals in  manner that is supposed to be really good. No hormones, no overcrowding. I know it'll cost an arm & a leg & the hassle of driving extra far to get it.  I get worried about our food supply & how things are so different now than say 15 years ago. Those stir articles don't help either.  So I don't have an answer for how bad it really is or what the worst offenders are. 

katiebug840204
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:19 PM
So you should get your lunch meat from the deli cause it's cut off right there? Or is that processed too?

Quoting larissalarie:

It's "bad" for you because the more it's processed the more opportunities it has to lose nutrition and have crappy things added. Lunch meat is a great example. It's horrible for you. It's pumped full of all kinds of chemicals, preservatives, sodium..

The less processed it is, you also know more how it's been cooked, so you'll know if it's been fried, etc.

I know all about tight budget. Think beans & rice! I have a black bean, chick pea, brown rice, tomatoes dish that makes 5 bowl servings, had about 330 calories in each and costs about $3 (less if you buy dry beans and soak/cook instead of canned)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stefanie83
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:20 PM
I don't think it's particularly bad for weight loss, just not great for your health. I just say that because you said your kids eat it more than you. Of course my kids and I eat loads more than we should :\
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Great advice!  Love your beans and rice meal...sounds tasty!

Quoting larissalarie:

jendawn1
by Ruby Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:46 PM
I think if your on a tight budget. Just do what you can. And add as much fresh and healthy items yo your plate then not. Gl momma
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:04 PM

I agree!  

Quoting jendawn1:

I think if your on a tight budget. Just do what you can. And add as much fresh and healthy items yo your plate then not. Gl momma

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)