Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Alternative to jumping jacks?

Posted by on Sep. 27, 2011 at 9:53 PM
  • 6 Replies

What can I do as an alternative to jumping jacks? Or how can I strengthen my knees? Every time I do jumping jacks, I feel like there is a knife being stabbed into my knee. They are in the 30 Day Shred and I always have to stop during that time, so what can I do instead or how can I make it to where it doesn't hurt?

by on Sep. 27, 2011 at 9:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Im1superduperrn
by on Sep. 27, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Instead of the jumping out & back with the jumping jacks, move your arms with the motion  like you are doing the jumping jacks, but kick one leg out to the side at a time, bringing it back to the original position & then kicking out the other. Sure, your not burning the same amount of calories that you would be if you were doing the full jumping jack, but the most important thing is that YOU ARE STILL MOVING...so a few calories burned is better than no calories burned. If you are still experiencing pain in your knee, even with making this modification, you may try buying an athletic knee support and  wear it while exercising. Continue to do your modified jumping jacks & see if the athletic knee support helps.  Don't listen to the old adage "no pain, no gain". If your knee continues to pain you with exercise, you need to get it checked out.  Having this kind of pain in a major joint, your body is telling you something is wrong. If your knee continues to be painful, go to your primary care provider who can refer you on to an orthopedist so you can have a full work-up & find out what the problem is.

chrisnjoesmom
by Adrienne on Sep. 27, 2011 at 11:24 PM

You could do a move like the pp said, that's a good alternative.  Also, when I do any type of jumping activity, I learned that when I am landing, I need to bend my knees at that time.  It helps A LOT.  

jendawn1
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2011 at 12:23 AM
If your looking just for the calorie burn the best workout that isn't hard on knee is standing punches. Gl momma
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaKarrot
by on Sep. 28, 2011 at 1:07 AM

How about like these? Not as much cardio, but better than nothing? Looks easier on the knees.

Mweddle
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2011 at 1:51 AM

First off you can do the modified version which is what they said.  I have bad knees.  When i first started all this stuff I would injure my knee and one time it was really really painful! One thing that someone once told me was to strength train my legs and hips (leg lifts) to make your leg stronger to protect your knee. It really worked for me and I just did leg lifts to the side and front and back.  I haven't injured my knee in the same way since. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Sep. 28, 2011 at 4:47 AM

Great advice ladies!  I totally agree about the modified version of jumping jacks..better than nothing!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN