Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Transform Your Workout Day 18: 4 simple tips for weight-loss success from Rachel Murray!

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 4:34 PM
  • 56 Replies
2 moms liked this

Celebrity fitness personality, nutrition expert, and coach Rachel Elizabeth Murray is here with not one but 4 tips to help YOU get fit and lean!

From Rachel:

Tip 1) Remember what you love about yourself. Make a list of 5-10 things you love about yourself NOW, not 10 pounds lighter. I’ve seen so many people pick themselves apart so much they become depressed. Depression is a major reason people give up on their weight loss training programs. However, many symptoms of depression are reduced drastically when you exercise regularly. Need fitness and nutrition challenge ideas? Check out my weekly ‘Monday Challenges.’ But first things first, remind yourself daily why you do deserve to take care of yourself. Then get to the gym! A happier, healthier you means a happier healthier family!

TIP 2) Keep your sugar intake under 30 grams a day. Sugar, whether artificial, table sugar, or fruit sugar, all affects your brain and body the same way. It triggers insulin spikes, promotes fat storage, and increases cravings. Yikes! Eliminate sugar and you’ll not only crave it less often, it’s also an easy way to seriously reduce excess calories too! NOTE: Beware sneaky sugars in things like condiments, bottled beverages, and alcoholic drinks and mixers. Read the ingredients and labels carefully. Check out recipes and grocery lists on my website for more help with what to limit and which treats you can enjoy in moderation and still stay fit!

TIP 3) Can’t get to the gym today? Let your chores and your kids become your substitute! Housework, like scrubbing floors, vacuuming, carrying hampers full of laundry, and playing with your kids can burn tons of calories and double as a full resistance training and cardio when done right! For example: try vacuuming the carpet while lunging into every step (push with right arm, lunge with left leg for 10 strokes/steps, then switch sides). The push strengthens your core, arms, chest, and shoulders, while the lunge works your thighs and butt, and that’s just the ‘push’ part of the movement. When you pull the vacuum back, and step out of the lunge, you get more leg work, but you also get the benefit of back, arm, and shoulder work. Want more calorie burn with some added kiddo bonding time? Have your little one ride piggyback while you do the housework. Who wouldn’t want to make cleaning house a calorie burning, challenging, and fun activity? Check out the ‘at-home’ workouts and get inspired with more training ideas on my website. (Then let me know how your cleaning-inspired workout went!)

TIP 4) Challenge yourself and start a ‘streak’! Every one falls off the workout-wagon once in a while. So don’t let it discourage you and cause you to give up on getting to your goals! Instead, start a ‘streak.’ Get a calendar and hang it on the wall somewhere you and your family will see it all the time and put a big ‘X’ over every day in a row that you get your training or cardio or other activities/goals done. When the inevitable drop off comes, you will have a lot to show for it as encouragement, and you’ll also have a real number of days in writing that you can use as the number to ‘beat’ when you start your next ‘streak'!

What's one thing you love about yourself right now? Tell us! Then try the rest of Rachel's top tips and let us know how you do!

Rachel Elizabeth Murray is a celebrity fit­ness per­son­al­ity, nutri­tion expert and coach deter­mined to make a pos­i­tive change in the lives of peo­ple around the world through research and fact based fit­ness and nutri­tion edu­ca­tion, proven results-based work­outs, opti­mal health and physique-improv­ing nutri­tion, and gen­eral but reli­able tips and tricks to change your lifestyle to a fit lifestyle for life.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's tip from Leah Segedie of Bookieboo.com and Mamavation.com.

Remember, you must participate in at least 15 of the 20 challenge days to be eligible to win our grand prize! If you haven't signed up yet, do so here.

by on Nov. 18, 2011 at 4:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stefanie83
by on Nov. 21, 2011 at 12:16 PM

I love the streak idea.  that was kind of one of my strategies at the beginning.  i really need to start paying attention to my sugar/sodium/fat/carb/protein better again.  :(

I think i'm open-minded, kind, intelligent... qualities I like about myself :)

swdesigns
by on Nov. 21, 2011 at 12:17 PM

I can make an effort to keep the sugar grams under 30.  #4 could be fun too.

millermom07
by on Nov. 21, 2011 at 12:18 PM

I think I'm caring and smart.  I love my eyes.

I really need to just get back on track with weight loss, so I need to watch what I eat and exercise!  I like the streak idea.

sexydiva4279
by on Nov. 21, 2011 at 12:23 PM
Love the housework idea. Have to.try that. I love that I have a big heart and an open mind. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mooknmama
by on Nov. 21, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Great tips!! i do the Streak thing i have a huge white board and i mark off every day whether its sticking to my diet or getting my exercise in! i see it every minute of the day!!! Great motivation!!

5forjulie
by Member on Nov. 21, 2011 at 12:44 PM

I love that I am trying to be healthy and will keep the suger intake to lower now. 

JCakebread
by on Nov. 21, 2011 at 12:47 PM

I love number 4! What a great idea. I am super competitive so that would be a good one for me. The tough days for me are Wednesdays and Sundays.

chrissydan
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2011 at 12:58 PM
Love mfp it helps me keep track of everything to keep me motivated
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cgray87
by on Nov. 21, 2011 at 12:58 PM

I like trying to turn housework into a workout!!

TigerofMu
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2011 at 12:59 PM

What great ideas!  I walked today :)!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)