Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

how to start over? PIOG

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 11:26 PM
  • 10 Replies

So I am an emotional eater and I have been examining what has got me to this point. I realized that i was never taught healthy habits. ( in true form I am not teaching my kids healthy habits either and i need to change that) It seems so daunting to me to start cooking everything from scratch ( i live with my parents and they arent for meal planning) How do i start without feeling so overwhelmed that I just go back to eating fast food for every meal?

by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 11:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tia-J
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 12:27 AM
First off. Dont get overwhelmed. Write a list a foods that you and your children like. Next, for someone like you, what you need to do is sit down and talk with your parents about food and how your relationship with it is affecting you and your kids. Next, go to a bookstore and look for a basic cookbook that has healthy recipes and kidd friendly recipes, or you can go online to a recipe website and look for recipes there also. If your kids are old enough, have them pick out recipes that they may like and let them help you cook. When it comes to eating healthy, your meals need to be structured. Easier said than done. So you have to have some type of meal planning going on unless you are the creative type. So far as the list of food, learn how to create new recipes with them and try it out. If your stuck on creating something new, dont run to the fast food shack, call up a friend that you know is a good cook and ask for sme pointers.
MamaKarrot
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this

My only piece of advice is keep it simple and allow room for mistakes.  

Frozen veggies microwave up quickly, and you can put a few chicken breasts in the crock pot. 

Whole wheat spaghetti noodles, marinara, and a frozen veggie.  

KWIM?  Don't overwhelm yourself and assume it has to be some elaborate meal.  Honestly most of mine are as basic as the ones I listed.  

Also keep fruits, yogurts, nuts, hummus, cucumbers, stuff like that in the house and grab and go.  (Tiny ziplock bags are my best friend.)  I used to sit and eat Taco Bell at night and now I force myself to grab something I've pre-prepared.  It's part willpower, part leaving the kitchen and staying out.  

Tigger0281
by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Baby steps. You can't jump into everything all at once or it will be harder and you will probably be more likely to let it all go. Start one day at a time. Switch whole wheat pasta for regular of skim milk for 1% or something.

Make lists of what everyone will eat and then you can see how you can make some changes to recipes and such that are healthier.

mcginnisc
by Claire on Nov. 29, 2011 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree about making a list of things your family enjoys. Then, find healthier versions of them! There are a million healthy recipes out there. 

I make turkey meatloaf, mashed cauliflower, roasted veggies for wraps and sandwiches, there are healthy versions of pasta dishes by switching to whole wheat pasta and ditching the heavy sauces...healthy lasagna recipes, tacos, enchiladas- I make them with veggies and Dh loves them! 

Keep fruit and veggies in the house to snack on, nuts, nut butters, yogurt...all of those are great snacks! 

You can do it! 

Claire

" I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Moderator- Healthy Weight Loss

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Nov. 29, 2011 at 1:27 PM

These ladies have some great ideas!  I responded to your post in the other group:)  Good luck mama!

wahmx3
by Shelley on Nov. 29, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Start with meal planning and making it yourself, one meal a day for a week or two (or longer if necessary) and then go to 2 meals a day. Also plan your snacks, that is an easy place to start. Who pays for the groceries since you live with your parents? How do you decide who is cooking? How can you afford fast food/eating out so often? Start slow, change a little bit at a time, drink lots of water, track your food and calories online, there are plenty of free sites, I like myfitnesspal but there are also sparkspeople and livestrong.

Try to talk with your parents so you are working together to have a healthier home.

jenniferlee_12
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2011 at 2:00 PM

I say start with one day at a time and increase your cooking from scratch days until you get up to 7 days a week. Good luck.

takeme2carolina
by on Nov. 30, 2011 at 9:19 AM

I feel ya!  I'm starting over too...

although I do love to cook from scratch, I have to say I haven't been making the wisest choices...

planning ahead is the way to go (for me anyway)...I make lists...plan menus...etc...

Good luck!!

JCakebread
by on Nov. 30, 2011 at 12:35 PM

I love cook from scratch because It's fun to play with the recipes, but being a mom I don't have a whole lot of time either so I only do this maybe one a week. the rest of the time it's chicken in the toster over or something that I've made a lot of that's easy to heat up. Just keep it simple. Talk to your parents about removing some of the tempting bad items from the house all together. I know there is stuff that if I had it in my house it would undo my diet so I don't bring them into my house. Good luck!!!

SlightlyPerfect
Kids are raving nowadays?
Today at 2:31 PM
by on Dec. 2, 2011 at 2:13 PM

I think cooking from scratch looks daunting only because you need to learn some simple patterns that cooking has. Once you learn how certain foods work with or against each other, the possibilities are endless.

Some essentials for the kitchen are:

• a good skillet
  • a good pot (one stock pot and one smaller point to boil liquids)
  • utensil set (like this one)
  • tupperware (for leftovers) and steam bags (for veggies)

Some essentials for the pantry are:

• salt & pepper
  • extra virgin olive oil
  • flour
  • sugar (and Splenda--you can cook with it)
  • cornstarch
  • chicken, beef, and veggie stock
  • whole-wheat pasta
  • canned tomatoes and other veggies (I separate tomatoes because they're so versatile)

Some essentials for the fridge are:

• fat-free milk
  • fat-free cheese and low-fat cheese
  • fat-free Greek yogurt
  • fat-free sour cream
  • produce (always buy fresh and prepare it as soon as you get home, like clean, cut, and store it)

Some essentials for the freezer are:

• lean proteins (for freezing, in bulk)
  • frozen veggies (especially steamable ones)
  • frozen meals like Lean Cuisine (for when you're on the go)

Then, you have to know a few things in order to get the patterns of cooking down. Always flour/coat because frying in EVOO (dry outsides fry better), use butter and flour make a great rue, cornstarch is for thickening, flour can be used for thickening, learn how to make a bechamel sauce, deglaze your skillet with a good wine to make a nice sauce (and clean your skillet at the same time), learn casserole basics, learn what pairs well, know that every good meal consists of a lean protein and a veggie alongside a small carb, and don't eat a lot of nuts.

For me, it's all about substitution. Diet for regular. Egg whites for eggs. Applesauce for oil in baking. That kind of stuff.

I know I was scared to cook because before I had my DD, I never had to budget. We just always went out, so I never thought about cooking or baking. I didn't know how. But when I was on maternity leave with DD, I watched The Rachael Ray show, like, religiously, and I learned so many tips. You should really check out the show Good Eats for more about the science behind cooking, too (like this one on potatoes).

slightlyperfect

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)