Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi! bmr? :)

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:37 AM
  • 11 Replies
I started in this group in jan but got pregnant in feb and haven't been around. lol. anyways my baby is 15 days old and i want to start counting calories again but i'm breastfeeding so i'm not sure how many i should be eating. i was hoping someone could help me figure that out. :) thanks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jendawn1
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:13 AM
If your on mfp thEy have a breastfeeding spot in the food.
But someone might know thE right amount I think its 500 but not to sure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stefanie83
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:24 AM
Yea if you want to count calories on myfitnesspal, you can set it to one lb lost per week and add your breastfeeding to food and it will up you calories. I think it's 500 too. Congrats on the LO. :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xanayda
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:40 AM
Thanks!

Quoting Stefanie83:

Yea if you want to count calories on myfitnesspal, you can set it to one lb lost per week and add your breastfeeding to food and it will up you calories. I think it's 500 too. Congrats on the LO. :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xanayda
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 12:13 PM
bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Claire on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:16 PM

I will help you as soon as the site I use comes up! It has been down since yesterday... 

I need your age, height , weight and how many days per week you work out...and a reminder that you are BFING..

Claire

" I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Moderator- Healthy Weight Loss

xanayda
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:37 PM
Awesome thanks! i'm 25 5 ft 2in and 195 and i still have 4 weeks before i can work out but afterwards i'll be doing turbo jam 5 days a week. :)

Quoting mcginnisc:

I will help you as soon as the site I use comes up! It has been down since yesterday... 

I need your age, height , weight and how many days per week you work out...and a reminder that you are BFING..

Claire

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stefanie83
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:09 PM
I like this site
http://www.bmrcalculator.org/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Claire on Dec. 3, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Quoting xanayda:

Awesome thanks! i'm 25 5 ft 2in and 195 and i still have 4 weeks before i can work out but afterwards i'll be doing turbo jam 5 days a week. :)

Quoting mcginnisc:

Claire

OK... I used a different site that I know is reliable as my favorite is down still...ergh...very frustrating. 

BMR: 1675+500(BFing)=2175

Maintenance while working out 3-5 days per week: 2175*1.55=3371

To lose 1 lb per week: 3371-500=2871

Your ideal calorie range while BFing + working out 5 days per week:2175-2871  calories per day. 

Claire

xanayda
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 10:57 AM
What happenes if i don't eat all these calories? honestly right now all i eat is a small dinner and 2 cups of coffee everyday... unhealthy i know but with a newborn and 2 other kids i forget or don't have time.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting xanayda:

Quoting mcginnisc:

Claire

OK... I used a different site that I know is reliable as my favorite is down still...ergh...very frustrating. 

Your ideal calorie range while BFing + working out 5 days per week:2175-2871  calories per day. 

Claire

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Claire on Dec. 4, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Quoting xanayda:

What happenes if i don't eat all these calories? honestly right now all i eat is a small dinner and 2 cups of coffee everyday... unhealthy i know but with a newborn and 2 other kids i forget or don't have time.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting xanayda:

Quoting mcginnisc:

Claire

Claire

Well, as you are BFing, you are going to lose your supply for one...you HAVE to eat a lot more in order to keep your supply and to nourish your infant properly. 

The next thing is your body is in starvation mode already if you have been doing that for longer than 2 days. When you go into starvation mode your body burns lean muscle mass and stores fat as fuel. The lean muscle mass comes from your heart, liver, lungs and brain first and when your body exhausts those options it will then start on the fat stores. 

Concentrate on eating lean proteins, whole grains, dairy needs to be full fat since you are BFing, and tons of produce. You also need water and a lot of it. Take your weight and divide by 2 and this is how many oz you should be drinking daily. 

Claire

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)