• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Only $100 added to the normal groceries...... OMG no dairy can be expensive

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:42 PM
  • 9 Replies

So found that I am better off on a non-dairy (dairy - free) diet - so did some adjusting to accomidate not having certain staples in my families life and it took an extra 100 bucks for the first trip - thank fully I don't have to buy this stuff weekly LOL But am glad now I have the ingredients to make what I have menue planned for.  I am looking forward to getting my body back!!!!  Here is to a healthier life!!!!  

Luv2nap ~ "I'm just say'n" wink mini

"Bitch..... I don't know your life!"

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
slvrbtrfly
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:44 PM
Some dairy free milks ,yogurts, and cheeses can be made at home, its healthier and waaay cheaper
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luv2nap
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:46 PM

thanks for the tip - i am going to be looking into more and more ways to do exactly that!!!  :)  

Quoting slvrbtrfly:

Some dairy free milks ,yogurts, and cheeses can be made at home, its healthier and waaay cheaper

al09
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:53 PM

I recently went vegan. So I'm also dairy-free along with meat-free and I totally get what you're saying. It was expensive stocking up on all of the things I'd need to be able to prepare meals, but I think in the long run it's cheaper.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:21 PM

What kinds of things do you have to buy in place of the dairy items that you would have bought?  I'm just curious:)

luv2nap
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:22 PM

well i bought 2 times the fresh veggies and fruits along with pine nuts, walnuts, craisins, and ingredients like lemons, garlic, mushroom, basil, cilantro, sundried tomatoes, I am substituting for mayo with dairy free pestos... i can now make 2 versions - and I am also loving making hummas... basically I am just doing stuff a bit more high end to create food for the family and me that works for both.... 

Quoting darbyakeep45:

What kinds of things do you have to buy in place of the dairy items that you would have bought?  I'm just curious:)

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:23 PM

I see what you mean.  Thanks for explaining to me!

Quoting luv2nap:

well i bought 2 times the fresh veggies and fruits along with pine nuts, walnuts, craisins, and ingredients like lemons, garlic, mushroom, basil, cilantro, sundried tomatoes, I am substituting for mayo with dairy free pestos... i can now make 2 versions - and I am also loving making hummas... basically I am just doing stuff a bit more high end to create food for the family and me that works for both.... 

Quoting darbyakeep45:

luv2nap
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:24 PM

I am looking forward to converting the family hehehehe!!!!  

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Quoting luv2nap:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

MamaKarrot
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I was curious too! :D

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Quoting luv2nap:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

luv2nap
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 9:12 AM

what so many don't realize is being dairy free goes beyond cheese and milk & butter- there is a list of other no no's that go with it - I can't have anything with casin, whey and other lactose dirivitives and when you start to read lables it becomes very apparent that so many things are no longer my friend!  LOL 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)