Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Claire, I need your help!!!!

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:51 PM
  • 12 Replies

So I've been eating around 1800-2000 calories a day. I'm working out pretty hard 5-6 days a week, and I'm still nursing at night. My weight loss has stalled since Christmas(going up and down between the same 3 pounds). I figured up my BMR and with my activity level in order to loose 2 pounds a week I would have to drop about 150 calories below my BMR whick I've you recomend not doing. I run do Zumba and do light weights when I'm working out. Anyways can you redo my BMR and help me figure out what's going on. I wouldn't mind only loosing 1 pound a week if I were doing that consistently.

I weigh 167.

I am 5'4".

I am 28.

I am a female(of corse).

I am moderately to very active. I workout between 5-6 days a week.

I am nursing like 1-3 times a day, but I'm not sure that it's enough to still be adding the extra 500 calories a day.

Thanks!!!!!!

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Bump so Claire can see this:)  Good luck mama!

Stefanie83
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JCakebread
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Thanks!

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Bump so Claire can see this:)  Good luck mama!

mom_of2_n_twins
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this

BUMP!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I would definitely say that since you only nurse 1-3 times each day, you probably don't need the extra 500 calories each day for that...maybe 200 extra but not more than 250...that's just my thought, and Claire can give you more input on that, but I wanted to put that out there:)

JCakebread
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Thanks. That's what I think too. When I did the caculations myself, it said to loose 2 pounds a week I'd have to eat 1400 calories, but that's under my BMR. (I did it without adding in any extra for the nursing.) She's on all solids during the day so it 's just a matter of when she chooses to wean herself. I want it to be child driven when she weans, but if I'm producing less milk maybe it'll help her with the weaning. IDK. TMI!

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I would definitely say that since you only nurse 1-3 times each day, you probably don't need the extra 500 calories each day for that...maybe 200 extra but not more than 250...that's just my thought, and Claire can give you more input on that, but I wanted to put that out there:)

mcginnisc
by Claire on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi girl! Sorry, I have been gone all day! 

BMR: 1550+250 ( BFing- Darby is right, you don't need 500 since you are not EBF)=1800

Maintenance while working out 3-5 days per week: 1800*1.55=2790

To lose 1 lb per week: 2790-500=2290

Maintenance while working out 6 days per week( this is usally reserved for people pulling 2-3 a days or athletes): 1800*1.725=3105

To lose 1 lb per week: 3105-500=2605

Your ideal calorie range is 1800-2605 calories per day if you work out 6 days per week. 

HTH!

Claire
" I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Moderator- Healthy Weight Loss
Moderator- Adoptive Moms

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Totally understand and not TMI!  LOL!

Quoting JCakebread:

Thanks. That's what I think too. When I did the caculations myself, it said to loose 2 pounds a week I'd have to eat 1400 calories, but that's under my BMR. (I did it without adding in any extra for the nursing.) She's on all solids during the day so it 's just a matter of when she chooses to wean herself. I want it to be child driven when she weans, but if I'm producing less milk maybe it'll help her with the weaning. IDK. TMI!

Quoting darbyakeep45:

JCakebread
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Quoting mcginnisc:

Hi girl! Sorry, I have been gone all day! 

BMR: 1550+250 ( BFing- Darby is right, you don't need 500 since you are not EBF)=1800

Maintenance while working out 3-5 days per week: 1800*1.55=2790

To lose 1 lb per week: 2790-500=2290

Maintenance while working out 6 days per week( this is usally reserved for people pulling 2-3 a days or athletes): 1800*1.725=3105

To lose 1 lb per week: 3105-500=2605

Your ideal calorie range is 1800-2605 calories per day if you work out 6 days per week. 

HTH!

Sounds  good. Thank you! I've been eating right in that range of 1800-2000, and I round up a little to make sure I'm not going over. I've pulled out my measuring cups again and I'm going to try and make sure I'm not going over by accident. If were to eat the 1550 would that be too low? I know the 1400 that I can up with would have been because it's below my BMR.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm going to jump in here and say something (Claire doesn't usually mind:) about just eating your BMR if you're working out 6 days per week plus breastfeeding...you can eat just 1550 calories if you want to, but you won't lose weight as your body will be in starvation mode within a matter of a few days plus your milk supply will go down as you won't be eating enough to support the milk you're making for your little one.  You HAVE to eat mama!  I know sometimes people can be afraid to eat thinking they won't lose weight if they do, but I will tell you from experience as I've been there...I haven't eaten much...eaten JUST my BMR while working out hardcore and running and lost NOTHING...actually I ended up gaining a few pounds.  SO frustrating!  Your body needs those calories to function especially if you're working out!  If you just eat your BMR while working out like that, your body will stop using the fat for energy and start using your muscle for energy...muscles like your heart, which are MEGA important!  Make sense?  Not trying to be hard on you but just telling you the truth as I've been there!

You can eat upwards of the 1800-1900 calories per day and do it in a healthy way...you can mama!  I know as I do it myself!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)