Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Before a workout? (UPDATED)

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:13 AM
  • 26 Replies

I know this has been posted and I'm drawing a blank... I can't search because I'm mobile.

I'm going to hit the gym in the morning and do cardio mostly. What should I eat before hand? Protein (veggie sausages) or carbs (cereal)?

Which is best before a workout focusing on cardio?

*** Thanks Ladies ***

I took a little of everyone's advice :) I had a fiber one bar and coffee.... tomorrow I am thinking cereal and some veggie sausage patties... maybe I need some protein because although I have eaten since I got home I feel jittery and like I still need to eat, although I don't. I must have burned through those carbs pretty fast :)

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blessed2behome
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:48 AM
Hi there!! Get Excited & Stay Excited!!

Its best to have a smart energy drink (smart energy supplement in water) before you workout. Some have a health bar... I just drink my Neuro (smart energy supplement) in water and Im good to go. But I do have to admit my workout time ia later AM or evening sometimes... So I have consumed a shake and snack/meal by then. On the times I've way early AM, I've only had my Neuro ( sometimes with Low Sugar dry cereal)

Whatever you consume make sure its 30 min before your workout... You don't want it to be heavy in your tummy.

Hope this helps a bit.

Blessings,
Tresie
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:13 AM

You don't have to drink an energy drink before workouts...not necessary.  Eating carbs before a workout is more than sufficient...banana, granola bar, etc.  You don't have to drink all these shakes, eat bars, etc. to be able to workout and sustain your workout...you can get just what you need from food.

Quoting blessed2behome:

Its best to have a smart energy drink (smart energy supplement in water) before you workout. Some have a health bar... I just drink my Neuro (smart energy supplement) in water and Im good to go. But I do have to admit my workout time ia later AM or evening sometimes... So I have consumed a shake and snack/meal by then. On the times I've way early AM, I've only had my Neuro ( sometimes with Low Sugar dry cereal)

Whatever you consume make sure its 30 min before your workout... You don't want it to be heavy in your tummy.

Hope this helps a bit.

Blessings,
Tresie

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:16 AM

I would suggest carbs before a workout like a banana (my personal favorite) or a granola bar or something similar...maybe a peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread.

2boysmommy867
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:26 AM

I think for me it depends upon what I am doing ..... if I am swimming I eat an apple on the way over to the pool.  If I am running I can not even imainge eating something like that before I workout .... it jiggles too much in my tummy so I have a gel (think what triathletes eat when they are doing a race) or an some of my results and recovery fromula (so it is protein and carbs).

Lesgerm
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:51 AM
I am addicted to Luna bars!! I have one about an hour before working out :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kathleen69699
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:52 AM
Quoting blessed2behome:

Hope this helps a bit.

Blessings,
Tresie

Kathleen69699
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:53 AM
Quoting blessed2behome:

Hope this helps a bit.

Blessings,
Tresie

nlonnon
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:09 AM
Ditto. I should add that I have mine after a workout, I cannot eat prior to a workout.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I would suggest carbs before a workout like a banana (my personal favorite) or a granola bar or something similar...maybe a peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
raegansmom
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:10 AM
I love Luna bars!!! They are usually my breakfast on the go.

Quoting Lesgerm:

I am addicted to Luna bars!! I have one about an hour before working out :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LokisMama
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:43 AM

Carbs, definitly.   

Though I do have friends to swear by drinking a cup of black coffee before working out as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)