• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HOW HEALTHY IS THE SPECIAL K CHALLENGE?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:05 AM
  • 12 Replies
My friend wants me to do this challenge with her, but how healthy is it? Will I even make my 1678 calorie mark? Last thing, I want is to eat less than 1200 calories a day. Any input would be great! Thanks.
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2boysmommy867
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I have not done this challenge.  However, I like having a challenge where ther is fitness + nutrition + support which for me keeps me motivated and on track

Peggy

Katherine696997
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:18 AM
Quoting 2boysmommy867:

I have not done this challenge.  However, I like having a challenge where ther is fitness + nutrition + support which for me keeps me motivated and on track

Peggy

chosen_of_god
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Not. If u plan on doin that better plan on not exercising. Even then.... you prob still won't hit your calories
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Plastic.karma
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:25 AM
2 moms liked this
Chances are you won't hit your calories. I tried it for three days but had a hard time hitting an good amount of calories.
The cereal has 110 or 120 calories for 3/4 cup. One cup of slim milk has 80 (?) calories. So that 200 calorie meals, twice a day. It also calls for 2 snacks, which are about 100 calories, I believe.
200+200+100+100= 600 calories before dinner.
Plus, where are the nutrients?!?
I admit, i will eat the cereal for breakfast, because their chocolaty delight is delicious, but I add fruit on the side. I also eat more than 3/4 cup.
I don't think it's a good diet, it might make you lose weight because you are so low on daily calorie, but it does nothing for teaching a good, healthy diet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Claire on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:27 AM
3 moms liked this

The challenge consists of :

Replacing 2 meals with shakes, cereal or bars

Eating 2 snacks consisting of bars, fruit crisps, protein water,  and chips/crackers

One meal per day...

Now, my question: Does that sound healthy?

Do you really want to drink 2 shakes or 2 bowls of cereal, eat processed bars, crackers, chips, and eat only 1 meal per day?

Nowhere do I see fruits and veggies except for 1 meal...the protein is coming from artificial sources such as meal replacement shakes, fiber?? Sodium will be increased significantly as you would be relying on processed items all day long.

No, it is not healthy....at all. Relying on shakes, meal replacements and processed foods does NOT teach you how to eat a healthy well balanced diet of whole foods...and exercise? Who could on that few calories per day and live to tell the tale?

IMO it is a reckless way to lose weight as nobody should rely on shakes and such for the rest of their lives, but should consume whole foods and exercise in order to be healthy.

Claire
" I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Moderator- Healthy Weight Loss
Moderator- Adoptive Moms

Elizma001
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Sorry, idk?

RomansMommy0108
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this

When I was seeing a nutritionist at my old Dr office, we discussed this. She said the problem is its alot of carbs and sugar, not enough calories, and that your eating kind of in reverse meaning your biggest meal of the day should be breakfast, the special k diet makes your biggest meal dinner, which then sits in your tummy all night instead of fueling your day.

Also my sister did this before, yes she lost weight, but right after she stopped the diet she put it back on and then some. Could you really be happy eating 3/4 cup of cereal with 1/2 cup skim and some black coffee every morning?? I dont know about you but thats not enough for me.

Jts123fisher
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:18 AM
This is exactly what I was thinking. That's why I told her I didn't know if I would join the challenge. My biggest thing was not eating enough calories in a day! I pass on that challenge. I like a bowl of special K cereal for breakfast along with my fruit and water, but I couldn't see myself eating it all day long.
AjCeCeMom
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Its not, its not teaching you anything apart from replacing meals with cereals that are bad with you to begin with.

Stefanie83
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:07 AM

naaa I don't think the foods are healthy and it seems like it'd be hard to get enough calories

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)