Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Young Woman's Nugget-Only Diet Is Slow Suicide

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:40 PM
  • 11 Replies

Young Woman's Nugget-Only Diet Is Slow Suicide

Posted by Amy Reiter

chicken nuggetsCan you imagine how sick you'd be if you ate only fast-food chicken nuggets and nothing but chicken nuggets (apart from the occasional order of fries) for years and years and years? Um, yeah … pretty sick, as it turns out. A British teen named Stacey Irvine apparently learned that the hard way. After eating a diet almost exclusively comprised of fast food nuggets for the last 15 years – yes, since she was only 2 – the 17-year-old factory worker was rushed to the hospital two weeks ago after she collapsed, unable to breathe. Her unhealthy fast food addiction (no fruits, no vegetables; only fried chickenish items and french fries) had caused her to suffer from anemia, extreme deficiencies in vitamins and nutrients, and (get this) inflamed veins on her tongue. (Ick!)

After pumping her full of nutrients, the doctors instructed Irvine to change her diet and start eating healthier foods. But, now that all that fast food has finally caught up with her, does Irvine intend to mend her ways? Well, that's not entirely clear.

Her mom swears she's tried everything she can. I see no reason not to believe her. Still, it's hard not to call what Irvine's doing sort of a slow suicide. I mean, sheesh, has the world learned nothing about the hazards of eating too much fast food after Morgan Spurlock vividly documented his own downward health spiral from eating McDonald's for a month in his alarming 2004 documentary "Super Size Me"? After watching what happened to Spurlock in that eye-opening film, I swore off fast food once and for all.

Irvine's sad saga just underscores not only how bad for us fast food is, but also how important it is for us to eat a varied, healthy diet with lots of fruits and vegetables. Eating too much fast food is just slow suicide, pure and simple. And if eating a lot of it is so very bad, it's hard to want to eat even a little of it. Who needs a little bad when you can have no bad at all? And no, thank you, I don't want fries with that.

What do you think of this British teen's nugget-only diet?

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jendawn1
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 12:54 PM
3 moms liked this
Personally I think its her parents fault. There are SO many ways to get your children to eat healthy. I'm not saying all children will LOVE spianch but there are so many different types of fruits and veggies out there. I'm also not saying that the occasional treat is bad either. My dd has had chicken nugget. But she eats a verity of healthy foods as well other wise I would have never given them to her in the first place. Now she loves my home made nuggets better then MC'ds . And I do hope she can change her ways. IMO
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nlonnon
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:04 PM

From age 2-17, who bought all those nuggets???  I'm sure she couldn't walk or drive to the fast food joint.  My kids love their nuggets, but they have a limit on the number of times we eat out per month.  So they can use them all up front or spread them out, but as their parent I'm responsible for feeding them.  They can't read, so they don't know what's on the childrens menu when we go out either.  I usually just make something up!

RMT1995
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:13 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree - if your child is 18 and living outside of the home and has a job, you have no control. When your child is 2 years old and is dependent on YOU for food, you give them options. Those options do NOT have to include fast food nuggets! My daughter would eat cereal every morning if given the choice, and for a while would make a BIG stink about having to eat a whole wheat waffle or scrambled eggs, sometimes refusing to eat. You know what, though? She never starved .. because when she DID get hungry, she ate what was offered (NOT cereal!) because that's all that was there.

It's sad that some parents don't realize that THEY are in charge and not their kids. They worry too much about making them feel bad or hurting their feelings. Shame on them for letting it get to that point.

haydsmom2007
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Ewwwwwww!! Why?? What is wrong with her parents? Why would they give their 2 year old only chicken nuggets and fries to eat? That's disgusting.

mes_deux_amours
by *Andrea* on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:27 PM

I have a picky eater, my 4 year old. This article really substantiated my biggest fears.

And no, it is not my fault. I have tried everything. But, I do try to sneak things to him and I give him a daily vitamin. I am hoping with age that he will start to try new things... at 17, unlike that girl I hope he understand his health better.

mes_deux_amours
by *Andrea* on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:28 PM

oh and my pciky eater does not like chicken nuggets, infact he eats NO MEAT. At all.

EiuGirl316
by Leah on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I'm going to say what I said when a friend posted this a few weeks ago. The girl is 17 and therefore still a child. In the article, her Mom was quoted as saying that she "tried" to make her eat normal foods but she only wanted the nuggets. Who is the adult in this situation? As the girl's mother, it was entirely her responsibility to make sure that her daughter ate well and nutritiously. She cannot, after 15 years of this, turn around and say it's entirely on her daughter when she is the one that dropped the ball. So yeah, I fully blame the mother for not putting a stop to it 15 years ago. 

MamaJAG
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:55 PM

This is her moms fault.  I am so freaking sick of parents saying that their kid won't eat anything, so they give them what they WILL eat.  I have a friend who gives her kid chocolate chip cookies to eat cause at least it means he's eating something.  PU-LEASE.  I used to think I had picky kids.  Turns out I just had kids that knew how to work the system.  I have turned my "picky" eaters into vegans who eat all kinds of new a different things.  It took a couple days of hungry boys, but they decided they would rather eat what was served than go hungry and now we are all healthier for it.  A chicken nugget diet from the age of 2 is a parent problem. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:12 PM

That's a very sad situation to be honest.  It's sad that the mother didn't seem to have enough control over her child to make her eat anything but nuggets over the past 15 years.  I'm in no place to judge other parents, but this is just sad:(

jendawn1
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:29 PM
There is a huge difference between her mother and you. Your trying and you offer other foods. The mother gave up. You aren't.

Quoting mes_deux_amours:

I have a picky eater, my 4 year old. This article really substantiated my biggest fears.

And no, it is not my fault. I have tried everything. But, I do try to sneak things to him and I give him a daily vitamin. I am hoping with age that he will start to try new things... at 17, unlike that girl I hope he understand his health better.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)