Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Extreme calf muscle pain

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:01 PM
  • 14 Replies
I can't figure out what is going on. I didn't exercise on Thursday and on Friday did turbo fire 45 min which I have done a million times over the past year. I did not exercise yesterday but managed to get through 40 minutes of turbo jam today although it hurt.

What could it be? I understand maybe one hurting but both?? I have never had problems with my calf muscles before.

The pain started Friday and is in the exact same spot on both legs. It hurts to squat down and going down stairs gives me horrible pain. If I barely bump them I want to scream.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
admckenzie
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Dehydration? Try drinking water and doing stretches. That should help

haydsmom2007
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:14 PM
Is it like those cramps that you get in the middle of the night? Me and my son both get those.... Dehydration and lack of potassium are causes, I think?
blessed2behome
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Hi There-- Get Excited & Stay Excited!!

I am so sorry to hear about your extreme calf muscle pain... pain in that muscle is NO JOKE!!  When I was a track & field and cross country runner, I used to always get Charlie Horses in my calf muscles and boy did it hurt (and sometimes the pain would last for a long time, a few times it'd last a day or so)... but that was because I didn't have enough potassium in me.... potassium helps with this.

Have you consulted with your doctor about it??  I'm not in no way giving you medical advice... I just know from long-term experience that pains in those muscles (if not from straining or tearing it) can come from lack of potassium in your body... and also you do need to make sure you do a warm up run/jog or exercise before you stretch and then make sure you stretch after you do a cool down jog/run or exercise.

I suggest you go get it checked out if it is lasting this long.

Blessings,
Tresie

PrincessPeach06
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:24 PM
It isn't like a Charlie horse, although if I stretch out it feels like it could happen. Maybe I will try more water and bananas? If it doesn't go away this week I will call the doctor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tanya_marieh
by Tanya on Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:26 PM

This was me the other day.  Both of my calves hurt tremendously.  I ended up putting a natural form of bengay on it and it helped sooth it.  It went away in about 3 days. 

Quoting PrincessPeach06:

It isn't like a Charlie horse, although if I stretch out it feels like it could happen. Maybe I will try more water and bananas? If it doesn't go away this week I will call the doctor.

I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three.

-Elayne Boosler

blessed2behome
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Quoting PrincessPeach06:

Ok, then you may have strained it a bit.... especially if when you attempt stretching it, it almost feels like you can get a Charlie Horse.  But I will say... hamstring muscles and calf muscles are some of the first ones to be naturally "tight" and that's why it is important to properly stretch them... which you should ALWAYS do warm up exercises before you stretch and before you workout and then do a cool down exercise before you stretch when you are done working out.

So your muscles may be tightening up severely due to lack of proper stretching before working out or you may have strained them a little which both are common.

Applying heat (like a heating pad) before working out can also help to warm your muscles and applying ice to those muscles after you are done working out will also help out.  I had to do that before and after track & cross country practice when I started having issues with my calf muscles and getting shin splints.  I even had to do this at home in the morning when I woke up because I was in so much pain and when I came home I had to apply ice to those muscles to cool them down... and all I was doing was either walking or driving my car... which my car is a manual so using the clutch did not help at all!!

Hope this helps!

Let us know how you are doing over the next few days.

Blessings,
Tresie

2boysmommy867
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I have not had muscle cramps in both calves before.  However, when I do feel achy I use a foam roller.  It is wonderful to help stretch some things out.

If your calves are swollen, red or hot I would call your doctor ASAP and let them know what is going on!

Peggy

danarae1976
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Could be shin splints ...

nlonnon
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:52 PM
I would suggest taking a day of rest! Also do a lot of stretching. The water and lack of potassium can also be playing a part.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PrincessPeach06
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:10 PM
Of course I have been freaking about DVT but I wouldn't think that would be both legs?? The pain is also behind both knees and you just have to put your finger on the muscle or behind the knee to feel he pain - no real pressure needed :(

My legs aren't red or hot, I do have huge calf muscles but always have.

Quoting 2boysmommy867:

I have not had muscle cramps in both calves before.  However, when I do feel achy I use a foam roller.  It is wonderful to help stretch some things out.

If your calves are swollen, red or hot I would call your doctor ASAP and let them know what is going on!

Peggy

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)