Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is Your Mom (or other family) overweight....or have had weight issues?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:56 PM
  • 23 Replies

Just curious?

My mom -yes.

She's probably roughtly 50 lbs overweight. Has tried numerous diets, lost some, gained some, but never got within healthy weight.

I now weigh 129 (i'm still slightly overweight b/c I'm only 5'2) but yet she still insists on giving me dieting advice, even though she's never been successful (?)

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nlonnon
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:59 PM
My mom is about 10 pounds overweight. She says after spending 20 years in the military it isnjist hard for her not the think about her weight. She is also a cancer survior so she is pretty careful about what she eats.

She does offer advice but I don't pay much attention to her because it is always some fadish thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
reneawesley
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:18 PM
Most of my family is overweight. My cousin and I are the only two not and she was about 2 years ago. She has lots of health issues which led her to lose the weight. I've never technically been overweight but I was close after having my girls.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Claire on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Yep....she is overweight. She refuses to do anything that I tell her though. She says she can't eat all the calories I tell her she should eat...yet, when she eats it is crap. She is very active though, she just doesn't eat well.

Claire
" I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Moderator- Healthy Weight Loss
Moderator- Adoptive Moms

nikki0522
by Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:23 PM

My mother is overweight, but hasn't always been. On my fathers side, all of the women are overweight. My aunts are all morbidly obese, as well as my cousins. My half sisters and half brother are also overweight and have struggled with their weight since childhood. Unfortunately I have some bad genetics working against me, but I'm fighting back!

haydsmom2007
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:25 PM

No. Between me my mom and my sister I weigh the most.

And I'm not overweight, I'm average. I'm sure my sister is underweight, she's really skinny. 

emmiesmommy1113
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Yes. Almost constantly since having us kids.

She did get into body building at one point and was in very good shape. I usually will ask her for advice because I know she has been there and even if some of the things she tired did not work for her, they make work for me.

I am currently overweight. Slowly but surely losing it. It would be going faster if the weather would make up it's damn mind. I'm starting with walking on nature trails and changing my diet because, I've tried running and it hurts my joints too bad right now. I've never been heavy before, well once but I lost the weight very quickly after I started working. I'm thinking in 20lbs I can start running again. I hope. I miss being able to run for long distances. My mom and I used to run 5ks a lot.

Thre are only probably 2 people on my mom's side who are not overweight, tons that are not overweight on my dad's side.

mrssummerlin
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:33 PM
My whole family is over weight. :^\

I'm the only one working on being healthy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
danarae1976
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Both my parents are obese.   My brother is, too.   My sister is about average.  But her weight does go up and down. 

Stefanie83
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:54 PM
My mom is the only person over 10 in my family (not including dad's side) who isn't overweight! She has struggled with her weight on and off through the years between having 4 kids, becoming a widow, etc. But now she's active, eats well, and is basically a hottie. Lol.

My grandparents, her brother and sister, all of my cousins, and my sisters are obese. My ten year old brother isnt overweight. I just went from obese to overweight a few weeks ago.

My mom doesn't really give us advice. I think she knows we all know HOW to lose weight, we just have to find the motivation and determination to do it :D

My younger sister started trying to lose weight a couple months ago and she's lost ten lbs. My older sister had lost 20 lbs before she got pregnant in November but shes really doing well food and exercise-wise now. And I've lost 60 lbs so far. Only 25 to go to not be overweight!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JCakebread
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:55 PM

My mom has been overweight most of my life. She's a big fan of fad diets and diet pills. She's still a little overweight, but is smaller than she's been in the past. She use to tell us that when she got us diet ice cream we could eat twice as much becuase we weren't needing to loose weight. We were taken out  to eat at resturants all of the time as my mom was a single mom. All of my siblings are over weight. I am currently still overweight, but I've lost about 110 pounds since having my DD(some of which was baby weight). I am determined to change my eating habits for good so I don't pass on bad habits to my kids. They are 15 months and 2 1/2 years old.

I love my mom and my siblings and I want them to want a healthy life  for themselves. I don't judge my mom for how we were brought up, but I know that I want to be a better example for my kids than she was to us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)