Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How did you get started?!!?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:36 PM
  • 18 Replies

Okay, so I've been about 50 lbs overweight for about 5 years now. (I'm currently 213 and 5'5") I luckily didn't gain any weight during my pregnacy and a week after having my son I was 2 lbs under my pre-pregnancy weight. That was almost 3 months ago and I've watched my weight go up slowly and am now up 6 lbs. :(   

I've had a lot of stress in my life during the last 7 years so you can imagine how hard it is to lose any weight. Things are getting better now and life is a lot more balanced for the most part. My fiance and I have been engaged for 6 years now and we are finally going to get hitched in October, however I DO NOT want to be overweight for our wedding, or any more at all! I'm just plain tired of being depressed about my weight and hiding my body under clothes. The problem I'm having, is getting started!! How did you get motivated enough to get started and keep to it?? I have a huge problem with telling myself that it's time to lose weight and eat better, but I find myself gorging on everything I'm not supposed to have like pop, chocolate, fast food, etc. and then I end up gaining a few pounds!! UGH!  The last 3 weeks have been a super big eye opener... there has been 6 people I knew pass away and 5 were due to health problems. This scares the crap out of me! I don't want to ever experience what it's like to fight cancer, or have kidney and liver failure.

I obviously know the benefits of losing weight and eating healthier, but I just can't seem to get going with exercise and eating right. I don't know if i'm just thinking about it too much or what. I have several exercise tools to help with weight loss, but the motivation is no where to be found right now. I am very in tune with weight loss tips as I read several magazines, books, internet articles etc. And after I read stuff, i'm motivated to get started but then it goes away when it's time to focus on one of the kids or the hubby.  I have a 4 year old and a 3 month old, so life seems to be so hectic. I know I can do this, I just need to get started!!! ..... Give me some of your advise that has helped you lose weight!!  Thanks!! :)

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Stefanie83
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:39 PM
2 moms liked this
I started by joining myfitnesspal.com for tracking my calories and other nutritional info. And buying an exercise bike. Sounds like you have the motivation, you just have to commit and make the change :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:41 PM

I decided to get healthy right after my son was born.  He is special needs with Cystic Fibrosis, Autism, Aarskog Syndrome, and Brain Abnormalities/Damage.  He is my entire world, and I want to be around to take care of him!  He's now 3 years old, and I'm in the best shape I've ever been in my entire life:)

nlonnon
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I just said enough was enough! I started tracking calories and started couch to 5k. It hasn't been easy but it has been worth it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newme27
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this

We just bought an exercise bike too. My hubby has gained a few extra pounds since he started a new job a year ago which requires him to be on standby in his work truck for many hours a day. So we both are trying to get healthy but he isn't as concerned about losing his weight than I am wanting to lose mine. I figured a bike would be a good start since I have foot pain that 3 different doctors have not been able to figure out the cause of. I have zumba for the wii and unable to do it due to the pain so I hope using the bike will be enough to start losing some weight and then my foot won't hurt so bad. Maybe it's due to the extra weight...

I guess I just need to get going with all the different tools I do have and not let anything stop me. I often let my fiance's eating habits rub off on me and that is what has got me where I am now. Ever since he and I got together 7 years ago, i would start eating what he ate and almost as much as him :( I'm responsible for my own actions and my outcome....that's what I need to remember each day!! I CAN and WILL do this!! :D

newme27
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:06 PM
Quoting darbyakeep45:

I decided to get healthy right after my son was born.  He is special needs with Cystic Fibrosis, Autism, Aarskog Syndrome, and Brain Abnormalities/Damage.  He is my entire world, and I want to be around to take care of him!  He's now 3 years old, and I'm in the best shape I've ever been in my entire life:)

I hope this is the case for me too! I want to be in the best shape of my life as well! In high school almost 10 years ago I was in great shape, but there was a lot of room for improvement as well. My kids are my world too and I do not want to leave them behind for something I could have prevented! What do you do for exercise and how do you find time when you have to take care of your special needs son?? I can't imagine all the time you have to give to him, where do you find time for your needs? I struggle with this very much! I seriously don't know what ME time is! lol

jendawn1
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:15 PM
I started when I realized I weighed more then I did when I was pregnant.
I came here, went on myfitnesspal and started exercising!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:26 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting newme27:

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I hope this is the case for me too! I want to be in the best shape of my life as well! In high school almost 10 years ago I was in great shape, but there was a lot of room for improvement as well. My kids are my world too and I do not want to leave them behind for something I could have prevented! What do you do for exercise and how do you find time when you have to take care of your special needs son?? I can't imagine all the time you have to give to him, where do you find time for your needs? I struggle with this very much! I seriously don't know what ME time is! lol

Well, there's plenty of room for improvement with my body as well:)  I'm working on losing about 30 pounds, and I've lost almost 15 pounds since the beginning of the year.  

The year after my son was born I started running and doing Jillian Michaels workouts.  Last year, I ran 2 half marathons and ran a total of almost 800 miles for the year.  This year, I've started Insanity, and I LOVE it!  I've continued with my runs, and I have another half marathon in 2 weeks and then a full marathon in November.  I typically run about 20-30 miles per week along with 6 days/week of Insanity as well.  I usually workout (Insanity) in the morning while my son is doing his morning treatments, and I run while he's at school or therapy.  He goes to special ED preschool 4 days/week for about 3.5 hours, so I usually get in my long runs then.  He's also in physical, occupational, speech, feeding, and ABA therapies each week totaling about 10 or so hours/week.  I get in short runs then or some cross training.  I've found that if I make time for myself to exercise, even if it's just a short amount of time, I am in such a better mood for the day, and I have so much more patience with my son.  

I'm passionate about running b/c it's the most natural way to clear your lungs, and if I want to my son to run one day, then I should do it!  I can't expect him to do something that I won't do myself!  Cystic Fibrosis is a genetic disease where mucus builds up in your lungs & digestive system causing frequent chronic lung infections, GI problems, and related issues in your liver and digestive system.  He's fed through a g-tube (feeding tube) for most of his nutrition...he only eats mashed bananas & applesauce...nothing too nutritious:)  

Even if you have to get up early to workout or stay up a little later, it's worth it mama!  I promise you, it's worth it!  You'll feel better about yourself and you'll have more patience with your kiddos...not saying you don't have patience...sorry if that comes across in the wrong way as I don't mean it to:)  

Finding time for YOU is SO important...more important than you may think!  Another thing I do EVERY night is take a nice hot bath, by myself!  My husband will care for my son while I have my own quiet time, and it's very relaxing for me:)

Good luck mama and let me know if you have any questions or if I can help you in any way!

emtgirl885
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:25 PM

What helped me was joining an only women's gym, I do not feel so uncomfortable. Right now, I have a personal trainer, so I know that I have to be at the gym at least that day, which is good, plus she pushes and motivates me.

2boysmommy867
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I think the thing that really changed my mind was when I saw pictures of myself.  I drew a line in the sand.

Also, I got a support network and celebrate the small victories!

I have read "the Slight Edge" by Jeff Olson and it really changed the way I think about the small things. 

I knw for me a problem was what i called the viscous cycle .... I would eat poorly so why work out -> if I did not work out -> then why eat well.  This book along with the support really helped change my mind set.

The small things do add up!

Peggy

haydsmom2007
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:44 PM

I started small.... with being healthy my main goal, not losing weight. I stopped eating fast food. A couple months later I decided to cut out all soda. I have been soda free for about 4 months? Or something like that. On Christmas I was at my grandma's house and she has a scale in her bathroom so I stepped on it and I was like 161... I didn't have a scale at my home at this point so I never really knew how much I weighed and the 160's was just a lot more than I was ok with. So I started eating healthier... just by doing small things, like eating smaller portions and eating more snacks throughout the day, eating more fruits and stuff. I was down to 150 just by doing that, and then a couple weeks ago I started using myfitnesspal to track calories and I've been doing that every day since then. I have only lost like 1 or 2 pounds since then but slow and steady is the way to go. I only have about 15 more pounds that I want to lose. (I want to be at 135)

ETA I forgot to mention that the first time I weighed myself at 161 was in the evening and now I weigh myself in the mornings.. my weight is quite a bit higher in the evening than it is in the morning. I didn't lose 10 pounds initially. I lost probably closer to 7 or 8. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)