Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health
by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 1:26 PM
Replies (11-20):
MdMom289
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I use a lot of recipes from skinnytaste.com and eat-yourself-skinny.com
AmasCorner
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Healthy Soup that your man will love.  This soup is really delicious and healthy.  It is said that if you eat only this for lunch and dinner with a low fat breakfast that you should lose 5 to 8 pounds.  It is a little spicy and very filling. I use it to maintain my weight.  Hope you enjoy.

Saute 2 boneless chicken breasts- cubed -note-it is easy to cube them when they are still partially frozen, along with 2 cloves of chopped garlic until chicken is cooked.  Take the chicken out of the pan and set aside. Add 2 tablespoons of virgin olive oil, 1 squash cleaned and cubed-note-1 bag of chopped squash in the produce section works great, 1 chopped onion and 1 chopped pepper and saute until it starts to soften. Put chicken back in the pot and add 1 32 oz bottle V8 juice, 1 14oz can of diced tomato or use fresh if in season, 1 10oz can diced tomato with green chiles, 1 can drained chick peas, 1 can drained black beans, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon tumeric and 2 teaspoons chopped celantro. A little water can be added if the diced tomatoes were to watery.  Simmer for about a half hour and enjoy. If you want to diet the healthy way check out the video in the banner on this site!

KittyGram
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Way too many to list seperately, so I'm just going to reference my favorite new source for healthy food, and name the recipes that I've tried - hopefully I can remember them all!  Most of them have been incredible, and the others have been at least quite good - none that I DIDN'T like!!!!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/

Stuffed Pepper Soup (I'd give this one 5 stars!!!  Just add red pepper flakes for a little extra umph!)

Linguine with Shrimp Fra Diavolo  (at least 4 stars!)

Red Thai Coconut Curry Shrimp (oh, yum!!!  Definitely 5 stars)

Broiled Tilapia with Thai Coconut Curry Sauce (4 stars!)

Zesty Lime Shrimp and Avocado Salad (5 stars!!!!!)

Cajun Chicken Pasta (pretty good, but I need to make a few changes when I make it next time)

Baked Potato Soup (again, pretty good, but will add onion and garlic next time)

Filipino Adobo Chicken (4 stars - 6 year old granddaughter devoured it!!!!)

KittyGram
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Another great new source I've found is http://www.eat-yourself-skinny.com/.  This recipe is from that site, and it is GOOD!!!

Garlic and Red Pepper Pasta

from eat-yourself-skinny.com

Servings: 6 Serving Size: 1 cup Calories: 301 Fat: 15 g Carbs: 6.8 g Fiber: 0.8 g Protein: 4.3 g Old Points: 7.1 pts Points+: 5 pts

1 box of spaghetti
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
3/4 cup olive oil
4 cloves of garlic, minced
3 Tbsp. light butter
1 tsp. lemon juice
2 pinches red pepper flakes
1 cup Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste

Boil water and cook pasta per box instructions until al dente. Meanwhile, saute olive oil, butter, garlic and red bell pepper on medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add lemon juice, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and allow to simmer until ready to toss.

Drain pasta and immediately toss with Parmesan cheese. Add the sauteed garlic sauce, sprinkle some extra Parmesan cheese on top and garnish with some fresh parsley. 

KittyGram
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 12:11 PM

From http://www.mylifetime.com/, Cook Yourself Thin:

Spanish-Style Paprika Shrimp

Serves 2 as a first course

Calories per serving: 195; WW original points 5 (add 1 pt for each 1/4 cup of rice, if serving)

1 T. olive oil
1/4 t. smoked paprika
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 t. salt
1 t. dried Italian seasonings
pinch of cayenne
1 1/2 T. lemon juice

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add paprika and garlic, and saute for 1 minute, stirring constantly so the garlic and paprika don't burn.

Raise heat to medium-high, add the shrimp, and saute for about 3 minutes, until the shrimp turn pink and are opaque.

Transfer shrimp to a warm serving dish, and toss with salt, Italian seasonings, cayenne, and lemon juice. Serve over rice if desired.  

KittyGram
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 12:12 PM

from http://www.skinnymom.com/:

Skinny Spaghetti and Meat Sauce

Serves 10

•1 pound lean ground sirloin
•1 onion, chopped
•1 green pepper, chopped
•1 tbsp minced onion
•2 6 ounce cans tomato paste
•1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
•1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
•1 tbsp Italian seasoning
•2 basil leaves
•2 tablespoons Splenda granulated sweetener
•1 teaspoon salt
•1 teaspoon garlic powder

1.In a large skillet, brown lean ground sirloin for 4-5 minutes.
2.Add chopped onion, green pepper, and garlic and continue cooking meat until no longer pink and the onions and peppers start to soften.
3.Next, add tomato paste, tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes to meat and onions. Add in 1/4 cup water and stir sauce.
4.Add garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and Splenda to sauce and stir until well mixed.
5.Add in basil leaves and turn heat down to low. Cover and let simmer for 20–25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with pasta immediately or

freeze or refrigerate for later.

Nutrition Info Per Serving: Calories: 165.9, Fat: 4.9g, Carbohydrates:19g, Fiber: 3.5g, Sugars: 9g, Protein: 13.3g; WW Points 3

Spinach Stuffed Shells with Meat Sauce

Serves 10

•1 box Barilla Jumbo Shells Pasta
•1 10 oz bag frozen spinach
•16 ounces Fat Free Ricotta Cheese
•1 tsp salt
•1 tsp pepper
•1 tsp garlic powder
•1/2 cup Tbsp reduced-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
•1 Tbsp Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese, grated
•10 Servings Skinny Spaghetti and Meat Sauce

Directions:
1.Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2.Add pasta shells to boiling water and cook for 8-10 minutes until almost al dente.
3.Drain pasta shells and spread pasta shells onto a sheet of wax paper to dry.
4.Place spinach in microwave and cook for 5-6 minutes
as directed on package.
5.Drain spinach and make sure to remove all of the moisture from spinach until it is dry.
6.In a medium sized bowl, mix spinach, fat-free ricotta cheese, 1/4 cup of the mozzarella, Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese, salt, garlic powder, and pepper.
7.Using a 9×13 casserole dish, spoon a small amount of Skinny Spaghetti and Meat Sauce to cover the bottom of dish.
8.Next, fill pasta shells with spinach mixture by using a spoon to place mixture inside each pasta shell.
9.Place filled pasta shells face up into casserole dish.
10.Top filled pasta shells with Skinny Spaghetti Meat Sauce and sprinkle reduced-fat Mozzarella cheese on top.
11.Heat pasta shells in oven for 15-20 minutes and serve hot.

Nutrition Info (3 stuffed shells with meat sauce): Calories: 323.4, Fat: 7.2g, Carbohydrates: 48.1g, Protein: 22g, Fiber: 5.1g, Sugars: 11.3g; WW Points 7  

KittyGram
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 12:13 PM

adapted from http://www.skinnyweek.com/:

Buffalo Chicken Fingers

Serves 4, 5 WW Points

1 spray Pam
1 1/4 lb. uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 16 strips
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp minced garlic
2 Tablespoons butter
4 tsp. hot sauce or to taste
1/2 cup fat-free blue cheese dressing
4 stalks celery cut into 4 sticks each

Coat a large nonstick skillet with Pam and heat over medium-high heat.
Place chicken on a plate and sprinkle with salt and paprika. Add chicken to skillet and cook, turning occasionally until lightly browned and cooked through, about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic; reduce heat to low, stir and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

Remove skillet from heat; stir in margarine and hot sauce until margarine melts, coating chicken with sauce. Serve chicken with celery and blue cheese dressing on the side. Yields about 4 pieces of chicken, 4 celery sticks and 2 tablespoons of dressing.

KittyGram
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 12:14 PM

From a yahoo group that I'm in:

Ginger Beef and Broccoli

Prep time 20 minutes, cooking time about 10 minutes
Makes 4 servings

1 lb. sirloin steak, thinly sliced
1 T. chopped fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, chopped
3 T. soy sauce
2 t. cornstarch
3 T. vegetable oil
1 medium onion, halved and sliced
4 c. small broccoli florets
1 T. brown sugar
1 T. rice vinegar
1/4 c. ketchup
1/2 c. beef stock

Place the steak in a bowl. Add the ginger, garlic, soy sauce, and cornstarch and toss to coat. Marinate the beef 20 to 30 minutes. Heat 2 T. of the oil in a large skillet or wok over high heat. Add the beef and stir-fry until nicely colored, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the meat from the pan. Add the remaining oil to the pan. Add the onion and broccoli and stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Return the beef to the pan and heat through. Spoon onto a platter and serve.

per serving: about 306 calories; 27.4 g protein; 14.5 g fat (2.4 g saturated); 16.2 g carbohydrate; 2 g dietary fiber; 54 mg cholesterol; 1158 mg sodium

7 WW Points (original Points plan)  

KittyGram
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Adapted from Weight Watchers, this is probably my "most favoritest" food!!! 

Cincinnati Chili

16 oz very lean ground beef
4 t vegetable oil (1 T. plus 1 t.)
3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
3/4 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T chili powder
1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
1/8 t ground cinnamon
1/8 t salt
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped canned tomatoes, with juice
1 cup tomato sauce
1/2 t granulated sugar
6 oz. spaghetti
1 1/2 oz. medium-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
2 T. minced scallions

In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, warm the oil until hot but not smoking. Crumble in the ground beef and cook, stirring frequently, until the beef is no longer pink, about 6 minutes.

Stir in the bell pepper, onion, and garlic, and reduce heat to medium. Saute until the vegetables are tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in the chili powder, black pepper, cinnamon, and salt, and cook unti the spices are fragrant, about 30 seconds.

Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, and sugar, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the chili is thinckened and the flavors are blended, about 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti in a large pot of boiling water until al dente, 9 to 11 minutes, or according to package directions. Drain in a colander and transfer to a serving bowl. Spoon the chili over the spaghetti, top with the cheddar cheese and scallions, and serve.

Serving size: 1 1/2 cups

Nutritional values: 401 calories; 27 g. protein; 12 g fat; 47 g carbohydrate; 52 mg cholesterol; 731 mg sodium  

kathislove80
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 10:40 AM
Awesome! Thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)