Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health
by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 1:26 PM
Replies (21-30):
meliscool72
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 6:16 AM

I don't know if it is healthy, but is probably healthier than mac & cheese though

cook the noodles like you would, but instead of cheese use creme of mushroom....

it is very tasty, but it might have a strong flavor so you may want some ranch dressing to dip it in, but I think creme of mushroom is healthier than cheese :)

mv1022
by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Couscous Salad

-Mix: 1 tbsp red wine vinegar, juice from 2 limes, 1/2 tsp olive oil

-Bring 3/4 cup water to a boil, add in 1 cup of couscous - cook for about 5 - 10 minutes (until water has evaporated)

- Chop in very small pieces: colorful bell pepper, cucumber, tomatoes, sweet onions and a bag of frozen vegetales (I like to use the broccoli/cauliflower mix - microwaved or boiled)

Mix all of this together and VOILA!!! It's delish!

barillaelyse
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 11:41 AM

It's great to see so many of you sharing your favorite healthy recipes! One of our favorite things to make here at Barilla is  PLUS Rotini with Asparagus, Salmon and Cherry Tomatoes. This recipe is a great way to incorporate protein, ALA omega-3 fatty acids, and fiber into your family meal tonight. And the best part is that you can have dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes.

If you're looking for more healthy recipes and want to receive other fun treats from Barilla PLUS, be sure to sign up for our online newsletter: http://www.barillaus.com/plus.

- Elyse from the Barilla PLUS team 

Diana-K
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Hi Michelle,

Here is my favorite recipe for Black Bean Brownies:

Here’s what you need:

• 1 1/2 cup almond meal (ground almonds)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 can beans (15oz), drained
  • 1 cup melted dark chocolate (72% cocoa or higher)
  • 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup melted raw honey
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
  • 2 organic, omega-3 eggs
  • 12 walnut halves
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a brownie pan with coconut oil. Set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl combine the almond meal, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
  3. In a high speed blender combine the drained beans, melted chocolate, coconut oil, honey, vanilla and almond extracts. Blend on low speed until smooth.
  4. Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and mix. Add the eggs and mix until fully incorporated.
  5. Pour into prepared pan. Place the walnut halves on top.
  6. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Allow to cool fully before cutting into squares.

Find more healthy baking recipes on my blog http://realhealthyrecipes.com/ :)

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 23, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Avocado Citrus Salad

Mixed salad greens tossed with sectioned grapefruit, sectioned orange, sliced avocado, and thinly sliced red onion. Salad is dressed with vinaigrette prepared from vegetable oil, sugar, fresh lemon juice, poppy seeds, coarse salt, ground mustard and fresh grated onion.

Ingredients -

12 cups torn Salad Greens
2 medium Grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
2 medium Navel Oranges, peeled and sectioned
2 medium ripe Avocados, peeled and sliced
1 small Red Onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings

Dressing:
1/2 cup olive Oil
1/4 cup Sugar (or less)
3 tablespoons Lemon Juice
1-1/2 teaspoons Poppy Seeds
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Ground Mustard
1/4 teaspoon Grated Onion

Preparation:

1. In a large salad bowl, gently toss the greens, grapefruit, oranges, avocados and red onion.
2. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the dressing ingredients; shake well.
3. Drizzle over salad and toss to coat.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 23, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I leave out the pasta when I make this, and I use my own alfredo sauce recipe:

Olive Garden Style Vegetarian Lasagna
A bountiful vegetable mixture, a rich ricotta cheese mixture, and a homemade, cream sauce make this vegetarian lasagna well worth the extra effort.

Ingredients
Alfredo Sauce:

• 1/2 lb. Sweet or salted butter
  • 12 oz. Heavy cream
  • Fresh ground white pepper
  • 1 1/2 C. Fresh Parmesan -- grate
  • 18 slices Mozzarella cheese -- 1/2 oz. ea

Ricotta Mixture:

• 1 pint Ricotta cheese
  • 2 oz. Romano -- grate
  • 3 oz. Mozzarella -- shred
  • 2 Tbs. Green onions -- slice
  • 2 tsp. Fresh parsley -- chop
  • 1/2 tsp. Salt
  • 1/8 tsp. Black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. Dried basil
  • 1/4 tsp. Dried oregano
  • 1 1/4 C. Alfredo sauce – cooled

Vegetable Mixture:

• 4 C. Broccoli florets
  • 2 C. Carrots; sliced 1/4" -- then chopped
  • 4 C. Mushrooms -- slice 1/4"
  • 2 C. Red bell peppers -- dice
  • 1 C. Green bell pepper -- dice
  • 1 C. Yellow onion -- dice
  • 2 C. Zucchini -- slice

Lasagna noodles

Directions

Lay out enough dry lasagna noodles in a 9x13 pan to ensure you have enough to make 3 full layers, with very little overlap on each layer. Remove the dry strips and cook according to package instructions until barely "al dente" and drain. 

Alfredo Sauce: Heat water to a boil in the bottom of a double boiler. Add butter, cream and pepper to the top pot and heat until butter is completely melted, then stir in Parmesan until melted and blended. Remove top pot and set aside to cool. Divide the sauce into 2 equal portions. Refrigerate 1 portion for use later. 

Ricotta Cheese Mixture: Combine all ingredients in a bowl and blend thoroughly with a rubber spatula. Set aside at room temp. 

Vegetables: Combine all veggies and mix well. 

Assembly: Coat the bottom and sides of a 9x13 baking dish with vegetable spray. Lay out cooked lasagna strips (about 4) to cover entire bottom. Spread 1-1/4 c of the Ricotta mix evenly over the strips. Top with 8 c of veggie mix and spread out evenly. Lay out 9 of the mozzarella slices to cover the veggie layer. Repeat this layering. Top the second layer of mozzarella slices with lasagna strips and spread them evenly with 1-1/4 c ricotta cheese mix to finish. Cooking: Spray a sheet of foil with vegetable spray and cover the baking dish tightly with the foil, sprayed side down. Bake in a preheated 375~ oven for about an hour or until the internal temp is 165~. Remove from the oven and allow to sit for a few minutes, covered, before cutting and serving. Immediately prior to serving, heat the reserved portion of Alfredo Sauce and ladle the hot sauce over each slice of lasagna as it is served. Serves 8.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 23, 2012 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Ham, Spinach & Mushroom Frittata

• 10 eggs (yes, ten)
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp. butter
  • 1/2 tsp. (1 clove) minced garlic
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1/4 c. coconut milk (you could substitue evaporated milk or whipping cream for this)
  • 1 c. fresh mushrooms, diced
  • 1 c. diced ham
  • 10 oz. frozen spinach, thawed and drained very well
  • 1/2 c. chopped tomato
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • sprinkle or two of dried red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 tsp. dried parsley
  • 1 cup cheese (cheddar, Swiss, other) -- optional

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs snd coconut milk. Stir in salt, pepper, crushed red pepper and parsley.
Saute onions and mushrooms in the olive oil and butter over medium heat in an oven proof skillet (I used cast iron) for 3 minutes. Add garlic and tomatoes; continue to cook for 1-2 more minutes until onions are translucent. Add spinach and ham to the mix and lightly salt & pepper the mixture.
Spread mixture even into bottom of skillet. Pour egg mixture over vegetable/ham mixture. Use spatula to lift up vegetable/ham mixture along sides of pan to let the egg mixture flow underneath.
Cook on stove top on medium heat until about half set, then put the skillet in the preheated oven and cook for 15 minutes or until puffy and golden.  Top with cheese and return to oven for just a few minutes more until cheese is melted.
Finish by placing frittata under the broiler for up to a minute to get a deeper brown color & a bit of crispiness if you like. Be very careful handling the skillet! It’s extremely hot once placed in the oven. Allow to cool before slicing. Makes 6 - 8 servings.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 23, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Italian Sausage and Spinach Soup

• 28 to 32 oz. chicken broth
  • 1/3 c. diced onions or 1 1/2 Tbsp. dry minced onion
  • 10 oz. package frozen chopped spinach
  • 1/2 lb. hot or sweet Italian sausage, crumbled, cooked and drained
  • 8 oz. tomato sauce
  • grated parmesan cheese for garnish

In a saucepan, combine all the ingredients except for the cheese. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes if you can stand to wait that long (it smells really delicious). Sprinkle a bit of parmesan cheese on each serving.

4puddintaters
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:34 AM
2 moms liked this
Apple-banana peanut butter oatmeal. Its my breakfast/lunch after a good morning workout. I eat after 12 when im completely empty. Its about 1/4 cup of plain cooked oats, add in 1/2 a small diced red apple with skin on, 1/2 diced ripe banana and a nice spoonful of smart balance natural peanut butter chunky. Mix it all together with a little soy milk. U can also add cinnamon and raisins with side of coffee. Sooooo nourishing!!!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Capratio
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Whole grain strawberry pancakes

1 1/2 C. Whole wheat flour
3 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs
2/3 C Strawberry yogurt
3/4 C water
3 Tbsp canola oil

1 3/4 C sliced strawberries
2/3 C yogurt

1. Mix all dry ingredients in large bowl
2. In separate bowl, Beat eggs, yogurt, water, and oil with a whisk until well blended.
3. Pour egg mix into dry mix and blend well.
4. For each pancake, pour about 1/4 C onto the griddle

Top with fresh strawberries & yogurt.
( I like to have my fruit on the side and dip my pancakes into the yogurt.

-- added bonus- these are great to eat cold, too!

Serving size 2 pancakes, 1/4 C strawberries, 1-2 Tbsp yogurt

170 calories
9 g fat
4 g. Protein
19 carbs

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN