• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Protein powder... Not for me.

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:59 AM
  • 8 Replies

I was wondering if you could give protein powder to an 8 yr old to help them gain weight? My ds is super skinny, it's a combo of him being naturally skinny and the medicine he is on and I am worried he is to skinny (57lbs at 8). Anyone know?

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
saraface5383
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:00 AM
I dont. but heres a bump :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jendawn1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:24 AM
Does he eat meats, dairy and nuts? If so there really isn't a need for portein power. Why not try healthy fats first. Such as avocodos, whole milk , yogurts , cheese, peanut butter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jendawn1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:25 AM
Also is your doctor worried about his weight?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:21 AM

I totally agree.  I would definitely get a doctor or nutritionist's advice on this one, before giving protein powder.  You can do smoothies to get some extra calories in, too, but ask a doc about the protein powder before adding it.

Quoting jendawn1:

Does he eat meats, dairy and nuts? If so there really isn't a need for portein power. Why not try healthy fats first. Such as avocodos, whole milk , yogurts , cheese, peanut butter.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

AlliJadesmama
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:43 AM
Maybe give him pediasure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:42 AM

I agree...talk to his doctor!

Quoting musicpisces:

I totally agree.  I would definitely get a doctor or nutritionist's advice on this one, before giving protein powder.  You can do smoothies to get some extra calories in, too, but ask a doc about the protein powder before adding it.

Quoting jendawn1:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:42 AM

This is a good idea too...my son gets Pediasure through his g-tube for added nutrition.

Quoting AlliJadesmama:

Maybe give him pediasure.

Hunnybadgerkins
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:41 AM

Protein powder (whey) wont really help gain weight and I wouldnt give it to my kids. Many of the labels have warnings.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)