Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I actually have to "lose weight"... **UPDATE**!!!

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:44 AM
  • 14 Replies

I'm new to the group. My name is Whitney, I'm 23 years old and have two kids. I'm a SAHM and have been married for 4 years.
  I've never been super skinny, but I've always been very happy with my body. I could dress to fit my body type and be more than impressed with what I saw in the mirror...until now =/ After two pregnancies, I am disgusted with myself. I've even gained a ton of weight AFTER having my youngest, and a couple of days ago I hit 200 lbs :(
 Since I've never had to lose weight, I don't really know what to do. I've always been one to eat healthy, so WHAT to eat isn't really the issue at all. We don't eat fast food or processed stuff. For the most part, if it didn't grow in the ground or on a tree or isn't dairy/chicken/turkey/fish- we don't eat it. But my eating habits are insane, most days I hardly eat anything because I just don't think about it and since I'm  breastfeeding right now, my body is hoarding it all for milk production so everything sticks to me like glue. I hate to cook, so I make what's needed for the kids/DH and always think I'll grab something later and by that time I just want to go to bed. Then at the end of the week, I find that I'm starving and binge. It's on "healthier" stuff at least, but it's still not good.
   I'm having some tests done next week to see if there is a thyroid issue and to talk with the doctor about a nutrition plan to help me know how to eat to get my body out of "survival mode" and stop hoarding calories so I can lose weight. So...wish me luck, I guess. I've decided to start working out more, got a gym membership and hit it hard today. Probably a bit too hard because I'm in alot of pain right now, but I know that will pass. I'm just kind of down about getting to this point, need some motivation...I don't know. My mother has struggled with her weight for as long as I can remember, and has been on every diet known to man, never stuck with it, and I can tell it eats away at her. This is my first time to try and lose weight so I guess I'm afraid to follow in her footsteps so I really don't want to fail or have this be some life-long issue. I just want to deal with it now and be done with it.

If anyone has some ideas for easy snacks that I can just grab on the go to keep myself eating, ways to keep myself focused and motivated, or workout routines that I could try- it would be greatly appreciated! Other than the cardio machines, I'm kind of lost in the gym. But I'm starting Yoga classes on Tuesday! That should be fun :)

So since I posted this...
***I've lost 2 lbs!!! I've been setting a timer each day to eat every three hours, it's been a challenge to stop what I'm doing and sometimes I'm a little late here and there but I've been getting it done...and I feel like I have more energy! Usually I'm fuzzy and exhausted during the day but I guess eating more has been helping with that. Makes sense :) lol
  I've been going to the gym every day. I usually just run or cycle, but it's actually been a nice little vacation...pop the earbuds in, crank up the music and just go into my own little world. I'm finding myself looking forward to that little bit of "me time" every day. I'm also doing Yoga, which has been challenging but I love it. I had to push myself to make it through the classes, but it was worth it. I'm sore right now, but good sore. I had no idea it could be such a workout! It *looks* so easy.
  It's been 11 months since I've seen the numbers on the scale go down. I had my son, lost my pregnancy weight within a couple of weeks, and then started steadily gaining it all back- and then some. Seeing those 2 lbs. gone just gave me a huge jumpstart this morning. Yay! Thank you all for your help and advice ladies :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Welcome, Whitney!

Your body is DEFINITELY in starvation mode, which is the opposite of what you need!  Time to work toward eating more often.  We can calculate your BMR for you and give you a calorie range that will help you lose weight healthfully.  We will need your height, weight, age and how much you're planning to work out.

This doesn't sound like a thyroid issue, it sounds like a how you're eating issue.  Your body cannot process all of your calories in one sitting (evenings).  You NEED to be eating throughout the day.

What are you making for your family?  Why can't you make the same things for yourself?  Have you ever tried planning your meals?  It really takes the stress off, and you can plan ahead for what you need, and plan for those days you know will be hectic, and make things ahead when you have the time.

Have you considered tracking your food?  I think it might make a big difference.  There are free websites like sparkpeople.com, myfitnesspal.com and livestrong.com, and they all have free apps, too!  All of these sites calculate the calories in your foods for you, so once you have the calorie range you need (don't go by the ranges provided by the sites, they tend to be too low, and will keep you in starvation mode).

I thought I was eating right, and I was exercising, when I ballooned up to 269 breastfeeding my son.  When I started tracking my food, it turned out my portion sizes were out of control.  But the way you're eating, where you aren't eating most of the day, then having one huge meal at the end of the day, is actually how sumo wrestlers gain weight.  They rely on starvation mode to hold onto fat, and this slows the metabolism.  Starvation mode makes your body switch from burning fat to holding onto fat and burning lean tissue, including organs (like heart, liver and kidneys).

Be careful about getting too crazy with the workouts right from the start, so you don't burn yourself out or hurt yourself.  Find activities you enjoy that get your heart rate up.  You don't have to spend all your time in the gym!

Good luck, mama!!  I hope you find what works for you!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

lexiandelismama
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 4:11 AM

Well when I make dinner I make decent stuff, usually some sort of chicken or fish dish with veggies, sometimes casseroles, pastas, etc...I mean all kinds of things but I guess my problem is stopping to eat with DH and the kids. I will admit I'm guilty of just never stopping and always going going going. Once I make dinner I can't stand the kitchen to be messy so I clean that up, by the time I'm done with that the kids are finished and it's time to bathe them and get them in bed. After that I'm so exhausted and starved so I just eat anything. It's kind of a cycle. Also alot of times during the day, even if I tell myself it's time to eat I'm just not hungry. And then there's times that I just don't think about eating at all. I know I really need to slow down and not stress over little things, so I'm going to try and direct that energy towards working out and paying more attention to the way I eat.

My height is 5'5"
My weight is 200 lbs
23 years old
I plan to work out pretty much every day, maybe take one or two days off per week at maximum.

I will definately try those apps, thanks!

Quoting musicpisces:

Welcome, Whitney!

Your body is DEFINITELY in starvation mode, which is the opposite of what you need!  Time to work toward eating more often.  We can calculate your BMR for you and give you a calorie range that will help you lose weight healthfully.  We will need your height, weight, age and how much you're planning to work out.

This doesn't sound like a thyroid issue, it sounds like a how you're eating issue.  Your body cannot process all of your calories in one sitting (evenings).  You NEED to be eating throughout the day.

What are you making for your family?  Why can't you make the same things for yourself?  Have you ever tried planning your meals?  It really takes the stress off, and you can plan ahead for what you need, and plan for those days you know will be hectic, and make things ahead when you have the time.

Have you considered tracking your food?  I think it might make a big difference.  There are free websites like sparkpeople.com, myfitnesspal.com and livestrong.com, and they all have free apps, too!  All of these sites calculate the calories in your foods for you, so once you have the calorie range you need (don't go by the ranges provided by the sites, they tend to be too low, and will keep you in starvation mode).

I thought I was eating right, and I was exercising, when I ballooned up to 269 breastfeeding my son.  When I started tracking my food, it turned out my portion sizes were out of control.  But the way you're eating, where you aren't eating most of the day, then having one huge meal at the end of the day, is actually how sumo wrestlers gain weight.  They rely on starvation mode to hold onto fat, and this slows the metabolism.  Starvation mode makes your body switch from burning fat to holding onto fat and burning lean tissue, including organs (like heart, liver and kidneys).

Be careful about getting too crazy with the workouts right from the start, so you don't burn yourself out or hurt yourself.  Find activities you enjoy that get your heart rate up.  You don't have to spend all your time in the gym!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Suzanne has wonderful advice and I agree with everything she's said!  

Your BMR is 1722...you need to NEVER go under this amount of calories each day (technically you need 500 more than that since you're BFing)...

Working out 3-5 days/week, 1722 x 1.55 = 2669 calories per day just to maintain your current body weight

To lose one pound per week, you would subtract 2669 - 500 = 2169, BUT since you're BFing, you need to add that 500 calories back in to keep up your supply...make sense?

So you need to eat around 2669 calories each day to maintain your milk supply plus to support your workout schedule.  

Quoting lexiandelismama:

Well when I make dinner I make decent stuff, usually some sort of chicken or fish dish with veggies, sometimes casseroles, pastas, etc...I mean all kinds of things but I guess my problem is stopping to eat with DH and the kids. I will admit I'm guilty of just never stopping and always going going going. Once I make dinner I can't stand the kitchen to be messy so I clean that up, by the time I'm done with that the kids are finished and it's time to bathe them and get them in bed. After that I'm so exhausted and starved so I just eat anything. It's kind of a cycle. Also alot of times during the day, even if I tell myself it's time to eat I'm just not hungry. And then there's times that I just don't think about eating at all. I know I really need to slow down and not stress over little things, so I'm going to try and direct that energy towards working out and paying more attention to the way I eat.

My height is 5'5"
My weight is 200 lbs
23 years old
I plan to work out pretty much every day, maybe take one or two days off per week at maximum.

I will definately try those apps, thanks!

Quoting musicpisces:

Welcome, Whitney!

Hunnybadgerkins
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:47 AM

Welcome! You got great advice from the other ladies!

jendawn1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Hi! I was like you when first came here. I would binge in one meaL because my body wasn't "hungry" I started counting calories. It helps me thing hey I need to eat. Even set a timer if you have to. I had to force myself to eat at first but now my metabolism is working properly and I feel hungry every 2-3 houtrs and have meals and 3 snacks a day. What I also do while I'm cooking I have the sink half full so if there are dishes I can clean before hand I can. I have ocd. So I have to find tricks to let me still live lol.
Family time is very important. And meal times are usually the best time to connect. Take it once day at a time you can do this!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RomansMommy0108
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Welcome, great advice from the other ladies. I am a 22 yr old SAHM of 2 little ones also BFing my 5 month old. So I know how you feel! I joined Myfitnesspal.com right after delivery and have lost all my baby weight from second pregnancy, plus some left from my first. Alot of ladies on here have had great success on there if you join and would like to add me ( or anyone else wants to ) my username is Katfields120609. I am on there every day, but only here soemtimes as I do my internet from my ipod most of the time.

JCakebread
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I would suggest trying calorie counting. When I was nursing my daughter, I fell into the same rut and it was what helped even out my eating. The thing was more often than not I wasn't eating enough calories. If you're not getting in enough calories then you can be interfering with your bodies ability to produce the milk your baby needs! Good Luck!

TarahCarr
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Im a free coach and I was totally once in your shoes. If you have a facebook my page is public and you can check out my pictures. I was a size 14 and in 90 days was down to a size 4. About 62 lbs in 90 days. All healthy and natural ways too! FUN as well!

lexiandelismama
by on Mar. 9, 2012 at 1:03 PM

BUMP!

andiecheyenne
by on Mar. 9, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I'm not alone! lol. I hardly think to eat... which is a bad thing! The ladies on here suggested the same thing to me, to set a timer or to eat with my DD. I haven't set the timer yet, but so far I've eaten right after her and it's worked out pretty good. :) I'm thinking on taking her for a walk, since I'm not able to go to the gym yet. WTG on your progress so far!! :)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)