Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OK Ladies.....help me out here

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:29 AM
  • 10 Replies

last spring I lost about 20 pounds just walking on my treadmill and eating healthy.  Now I am working out even harder, eating healthy and I have not lost a pound or an inch!  I am ready to cry.  I am working sooo hard. I do zumba, spin, and I am adding in yoga soon.  I am so frustrated do be doing all this work and nothing is coming off.

I am logging in calories and exercise and NOTHING.    I decided to try and add in protein shakes this week to see if that will help.  I am doing whey protein.  I just do not  know what else to do.  This is becoming such a stressful time for me.  Such hard work and NOTHING to show for it.  Oh, and I have been working out for well over a month now.  I keep hearing all these stories of people that are dropping weight in the first week, and I have NO changes at all.

So frustrating especially since I have done this before and done fine.  I am so lost here.

Cindy
Army wife, Full time college student, Soccer Mom of 6

Want to know more about me?  Follow my blog
Married to the Military

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by Claire on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this

What are you eating? How many calories per day? What are your workouts and how long are they? Do you know your BMR? Where are you logging calories? 

It may be as simple as tweaking your diet or switching up your workouts more... if you answer those questions for me, maybe I can help figure it out. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

RomansMommy0108
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I woukld say you probably arent eating enough, or maybe are eating too many calories per day. Claire (above ) can deff help shes fantastic. Good Luck!

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Big hugs, mama, this is a frustrating process sometimes!

Get rid of the whey protein.  You're taxing your kidneys with all that protein, and you can get plenty of protein from food.

Have we calculated your BMR for you?  How many calories a day are you eating?

We can calculate how many calories you ought to be eating for healthy weight loss.  We will just need your height, weight, age and how much you're working out.

How long have you been at the same weight/size?  I go through plateaus (I think we all do along the way), where no matter what I do, NOTHING is coming off.  Then it finally starts coming off again.  Often if we restrict calories too much the weight stops coming off.  Taking it easy for a little bit, even just a few days, might actually help.  The stress alone is working against you!

I've been on my journey for the past 2 years.  Over Christmas, I gained back 5 lbs of what I'd lost.  After Christmas, it melted off, plus another 10 lbs or so!  Really fast!  I was like, WOO HOO!!  Then, it came to a screetching halt.  I haven't lost anything in a good 3 weeks.  Sigh.  So I'm just keeping on keeping on.  My body will catch up.  I'm changing up my workouts, and I know I'm eating enough calories (I think I may be eating too many here and there, but that's my personal issue).  It'll start coming off again.  It seems to happen in spurts like that.  I know when I started this, the first 20 melted off, then for MONTHS, NOTHING.  Then I started running.  Since then, I've lost, plateaued, lost, plateaued, back and forth.  It happens, mama.  But overall, I've lost 86 lbs that I sure don't miss!!

You can do this!!  And we are here for you!  We know what you're going through!  =)

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

momof5kiki
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:42 AM

I am eating about 1,800 calories a day when I work out.  I do spin for an hour or zumba, or even bootcamp.  I am working out for at least an hour each time ( 4-5 days a week).  As for what I eat that varries day to day.  Eggs, chicken, occasional red meat, lots of veggies, very little fruit just because I am not a big fruit eater.  I have coffee every day ( with sugar free creamer), and I just this week added in whey protein shakes that are about 180 calories on the days that I workout about an hour before my workout.  I drink about 60 ounces of water a day on the days that I work out and about 40 on the days that I do not.  I am doing everything that I know right. 

mcginnisc
by Claire on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Quoting momof5kiki:

I am eating about 1,800 calories a day when I work out.  I do spin for an hour or zumba, or even bootcamp.  I am working out for at least an hour each time ( 4-5 days a week).  As for what I eat that varries day to day.  Eggs, chicken, occasional red meat, lots of veggies, very little fruit just because I am not a big fruit eater.  I have coffee every day ( with sugar free creamer), and I just this week added in whey protein shakes that are about 180 calories on the days that I workout about an hour before my workout.  I drink about 60 ounces of water a day on the days that I work out and about 40 on the days that I do not.  I am doing everything that I know right. 

Let me do your BMR. My guess is that you are not eating enough for those workouts. Seriously, 1800 may not be enough depending on your age, height, weight and that activity level. 

Claire

momof5kiki
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:58 AM

165 33 5'4

Cindy

Married to the Military

mcginnisc
by Claire on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Quoting momof5kiki:

165 33 5'4

BMR: 1518

Maintenance while working out 3-5 days per week: 1518*1.55=2352

To lose 1 lb per week: 2352-500=1852

You could easily use the 6 day formula since you work out for 1-2 hours daily though. 

Maintenance while working out 6 days: 1518*1.725=2618

To lose 1 lb per week: 2618-500=2118

You could actually increase to 2118 and be safe with as much as you are working out. 

Claire

momof5kiki
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:17 AM

I am totally confused as to what the - 500 means?  Can you help explain what you just told me  and what the 6 day thing is?  So you think I need to add in more calories to loose?  This morning I had my coffe with sugar free creamer, two eggs with cheese..... I wish that there was a site that you could put in what foods you actually eat and it would make meal plans for you.....I have texture issues and I do not eat fish. 

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting momof5kiki:

165 33 5'4

You could easily use the 6 day formula since you work out for 1-2 hours daily though. 

You could actually increase to 2118 and be safe with as much as you are working out. 

Cindy

Married to the Military

mcginnisc
by Claire on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Quoting momof5kiki:

I am totally confused as to what the - 500 means?  Can you help explain what you just told me  and what the 6 day thing is?  So you think I need to add in more calories to loose?  This morning I had my coffe with sugar free creamer, two eggs with cheese..... I wish that there was a site that you could put in what foods you actually eat and it would make meal plans for you.....I have texture issues and I do not eat fish. 

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting momof5kiki:

165 33 5'4

The -500 is subtracting 250 calories from diet and 250 from exercise OR 500 from exercise. 

When I do BMR for people, I use their age, height, weight and their activity level. Most of the ladies in here, I would use the Harris Benedict Formula for exercising 3-5 days per week, but if people work out 3-5 days per week for a couple of hours per day or even 6 days per week at least 1-2 hours each workout, I will use the 6 day workout formula. The 6 day formula is typically for people that are athletes or that do 2 a days. 

If I were you, I would take what you like and build meals around those items. Concentrate on eating lean proteins, whole grains, low fat dairy and tons of produce. 

Claire

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Good luck mama!  Glad Claire was able to help out!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)