• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

getting started the right way.

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:49 PM
  • 5 Replies
Okay I need some help. Am look for a program or something that can kinda lead me to what I need to be doing as far as eat what, when and all that. And also something that can kinda give me an outline or something to what I need to do for exercise. Also someone to come kick my butt and keep me going lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Ihereainti
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:06 PM
Well I am good a butt kicking :)
I use my fitness pal.
Eat nothing white
No sweets
Move all the time... Yes you will look silly but who cares lol

Eat constantly :) dark green veggies is what I snack on

This is my advice
Oh and green tea and oolong tea

If you can handle a little spice, I sprinkle a little cayenne on my food
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Claire on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Most of us in here track calories and exercise. If you want to try your hand at counting calories, I would suggest having either myself, Suzanne( musicpisces), Darby ( another Mod) or Karen ( another Mod) do your BMR for you. We would need your age, height, weight and how many days per week you want to work out. 

BMR or Basal Metabolic Rate is the number of calories your body needs to function and be inactive-think digestion, blood flow and organ functions. Once you add activity, you have to consume more in order to offset that activity. If you consume too few calories, your body will go into starvation mode, which means your body will store fat as fuel and burn lean muscle mass which comes from your heart, liver, lungs and brain. We would give you a range of calories to consume daily. 

If you plan on tracking calories, I would suggest one of these sites: www.myfitnesspal.com, www.sparkpeople.com or www.livestrong.com. All of them are free and help to hold you accountable. 

Diet: 

Lean proteins: chicken, turkey, seafood, soy products, beans, nuts, nut butters, greek yogurt

Whole grains: breads, tortillas, brown rice, quinoa, barley, lentils, couscous, cereals, oatmeal

Dairy: low fat if you consume it. 

Produce: fresh and frozen

Water- take your weight and divide by 2. This is how many oz you should drink daily. 

Exercise: Find something that you enjoy and it will be easy to stick with it. Personally, I'm a runner so I run 3-4x per week as well as use Beachbody workouts exclusively.I do recommend that you do at least 4-5 days of cardio each week that is 30-45 minutes in length as well as 2-3 days worth of strength training as well. The strength training can include pushups, pull ups, sit ups, squats, lunges and things like that.

If you want to try running: www.coolrunning.com  is a great place to start. This is the couch to 5k or c25K program. It is a running program that teaches you to run a 5k (3.1 miles) in 9 weeks. 

Strength challenges: www.hundredpushups.com. There are links on the left side of the site for squats and situp challenges as well. 

HTH! Let me know if I can help you at all! 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 5, 2012 at 5:16 AM

Claire said it all!  Good luck mama!

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 5, 2012 at 9:59 AM

I agree with Claire.  I eat clean, which has helped with my weight loss.  You can see what that's all about here.  It's basically a set of principles to eat within.  Then having your BMR/calorie range, you can create your own meal plans based on all this info.

Sparkpeople has some great exercise demos to give you ideas, and there are tons of workout videos out there (Jillian Michaels is popular, Beachbody workouts are too, like P90X, Insanity, Turbo Jam, etc).  Many of us are at home for our workouts, or at least, not in the gym.  I run, bike, swim (at a local pool), hike, trail run, strength train at home, and do videos.  But these are what I enjoy, so I'd suggest trying something YOU enjoy that gets your heart rate up!

Good luck!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

kgmmw
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Good Luck 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)