Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Not sure what to do...UPDATE*

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 7:59 AM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

I need some advice here ladies...or maybe just a kick in the booty!

I did Insanity and finished several weeks ago...I'm on my second week of P90X right now and I just don't like it...it's boring to me for several reasons.  First off, Tony Horton is beyond annoying and I just want to punch the screen!  He talks WAY too much and his jokes are stupid!  Second, I'm not a weights person so the workouts themselves aren't fun to me.  They are just borning.  Third, I don't sweat much with strength workouts...if I do, it's not until the workout is half over!  Another thing is the cardio workouts are blah...Plyo is a good one (nothing compared to Insanity), Cardio X is just a joke, and Kenpo doesn't work...I bought my set off Craigslist for cheap and the Kenpo DVD is scratched and my computer won't read it...now I haven't tried it on my DVD player so it may work there but I haven't done that yet.  I know that's what happens if you buy it used, but I can't justify spending $140 on a workout program!  Not to mention, I LOATHE yoga...it's horrible and I hate it!  So, I do the 3 strength workouts, the Plyo workout, and the other days I just sub Bob Harper workouts...I know that's not ideal as it's not following the program, but I just don't want to do it!

UGH!  My husband says if I'm going to do P90X, then I need to do it and not switch stuff up, but 90 minutes of yoga...are you serious?  I'll cry if I have to do that!  

I still run 5-6 days/week as well but I got so used to doing an extra workout when I was doing Insanity that I wanted to do another BB program after I finished that.  Plus I was trying to branch out and do something different and out of my comfort zone so I picked P90X.  

What do you think?  Should I just do it and stop whining about it?  

UPDATE** - Thanks SO much for all the advice ladies...I really appreciate it!  I think I've decided to do the hybrid version of P90X as well as Insanity.  Even though I just finished Insanity in March, I really loved it and I'd love to do parts of it again.  I plan to do P90X for the 3 strength workouts & use Insanity for my cardio.  I do like Bob Harper's cardio workouts, so I can use those as well to sub for cardio.  I'm glad that it's okay for me to just use P90X for the strength workouts...I didn't realize that people did that...thanks for reassuring me ladies!  I *need* to add in some strength training in my workout schedule so that I'm not just doing cardio, i.e. Insanity & running.  I need to branch out so that's why I'm sticking with at least the strength workouts in P90X.  This is what I'll try:)  Thanks!

by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 7:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by Claire on Apr. 4, 2012 at 8:44 AM
3 moms liked this

Oh, do I understand very well... 

I'm NOT a fan of X. The girlls in the X group know this very well. It is a good program IF you can stick with it, however, it is difficult to devote time to a program that you loathe. Yes, Tony is very annoying. I much prefer Chalene Johnson and Shaun T. They are motivational and not silly like TH. 

I know it is frustrating to do a workout that you've paid for, but if you dislike it so much, then move on to one you DO like. You will never reap the benefits of the program if you just can't bring yourself to do it. 

I told you that I don't sweat doing it either so we have that in common. There are other programs that you might like much better...Chalene is awesome so you might dig Turbo Jam, Turbo Fire or Chalean Extreme...Jam is kickboxing and dancy, Fire is HIIT and Extreme is weights set to music. I understand that Extreme is actually a fun weights program..There is no shame in subbing programs in X. That is actually considered a hybrid of the program and tons of people do it. I do it as well actually. I can understand the 90 minutes of Yoga.. 60 is enough IMO and I'm a former Yoga Instructor!. I never did the Yoga as the X version is too repetitive to do much good honestly. 

I did the whole program, but..boy did I whine the whole time. LOL...Heath and I were BOTH glad when it was over. SInce we are runners, it is not our favorite by any stretch as we both prefer cardio workouts. 

I can't tell you to continue something that you despise....that would go against every fiber of my being since I always tell people to do what they enjoy. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

KCisPaulsMom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Ok... why are you doing P90X? Are you doing it because you want to tone? If so, the most important part is the weights workouts and, IMO... fine to sub out the others for workouts that you like better. I agree... Cardio X is a joke... so I think it is fine to sub-out with a workout that is more challenging to you. Why not sub one of the Insanity DVDs?

I am doing Turbo FIre and I kinda do that with this program. I think her Core, Strenghtening and Stretch workouts are terrible. So, I subout with DVDs from other programs that I think are better. I still do all of the Turbo fire and HIIT workouts per the schedule. Works for me.

twinsies041
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 9:53 AM
I've never done the whole program only a few workouts with a friend. I didny like it either. There's no way I could force myself to stick with it.
I wanna get lmp or chalean
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
asaffell
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 11:36 AM
3 moms liked this

I honestly love P90X, but I LOATHE Kenpo. So we skip it. My husband and I do a TurboFire HIIT instead on those days. The whole thing with Beachbody products is making it work for YOU! Yes, the program was designed to be done in schedule, but if you hate it you'll stop and get NO results.

nlonnon
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I would just skip it.  If you don't love a workout then you are more than likely to just not stick with it.  I'd be inclined to find something more enjoyable.

Hunnybadgerkins
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:27 PM
4 moms liked this

I have never done but I can just hear how much you hate it reading this. Dont do a work out you hate. Ever. Theres a difference between pushing through a hard workout that you love to hate and just plain dreading it. Try and resell it.

bc19
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Why not just keep the weights workout and then sub the rest out with cardio workouts that do work for you and that you find fun/interesting?

militarygirl83
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Do a hybrid schedule with Insanity.  Do three days insanity and 2 days weights with P90X.  You'll still benefit greatly from both!!!

SMLemos
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 3:05 PM

DH is doing the hybrid of P90X and Insanity.  This may help you if you want the variety.  That way you get rid of the workouts you really dislike.  

I switched to TurboFire after completing P90X, I didn't enjoy it enough for me to do it again.  TurboFire I love its more fast paced, great music, I think you just need to find what you are happy with doing.  

-Shannon

Join our group at Fitness, Nutrition & Support

cowboysgirl3227
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I think I would just find another cardio workout that you like.  I am sure it would work fine.  There is no point of pushing yourself to suffer through something you cannot stand :)  I actually really enjoy and it works for me so far but I can see how it might not be the best fit for everyone.  I think Tony is funny he makes me laugh but I have a weird sense humor so maybe that is why LOL.  I love the Kenpo, it is my favorite workout.  The Core Synergistics is probably my least favorite.  I find it effective for me at this point because I am so out of shape that it does make me sweat so it is good for me right now....who knows if it will keep working for me though. 

I don't always follow the exact schedule either, I just simply do not have the time some weeks.  I think finding a mix of the workouts that you do like will be most effective for you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)