Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Need tips for restraining myself at parties :P

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 11:36 AM
  • 8 Replies

So I've been doing so good. I've been resisting temptations but this weekend just got to me. My son's birthday was Thursday. Of course we got a small chocolate cheesecake for his birthday that I just had to have some myself. Along with the fried chicken I made him. Then we had a birthday party on Saturday for my cousin's kid that I ate a ridiculous amount at and my son's birthday party on Sunday. I just totally lost control this weekend. I'm back on track now but I've gone up three pounds from what I was at the end of last week :o( To make matters worse I have a baby shower next weekend and other parties in the weekends following.

Any tips on how to stay strong during all these events? I swear food is like an addiction for me. I tried to eat fruits and veggies on Saturday which I did, I ate A LOT of them along with a ton of everything else! I'm dreading the upcoming weekends because my self control feels like it's slipping :o( I do great during the week!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 11:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this

eat before you go?   Take snacks you CAN have...or figure in a certain amount of calories in that day for the party?

Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 5:06 PM

bump I have the same problems

Threes.Company
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Before I go to a party, I try to make sure I eat something low fat, but filling.  I don't like to go to a party hungry, or I know I will end up overeating or making bad choices.  I highly recommend nonfat, plain Greek yogurt with a little honey on it.  This always fills me up.  I also drink a lot of water to make myself feel full.

When I get to the party, I try to stick to things that are not fried or things that are not creamy.  Those two tend to be huge in the calorie department.  I would recommend even bringing something yummy to the party that you CAN eat... like a veggie tray with some hummus or something.

The other thing you can do is workout before you go... to "earn" extra calories for the party.  I am not sure if you have a heart rate monitor or not, but my HRM calculates my calories for me, so I know how many extra I've earned for the day.  If I know I am going to eat some extras at a party or have a few drinks, I try to burn off 800-1000 calories in my workouts so I don't have to worry about it.

Also, the 3 lbs you gained could very easily be water weight.  If you ate fried stuff, you likely consumed a lot of sodium and may be retaining water as a result.  Don't beat yourself up too badly. 

Good luck at your future parties!

twinsies041
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Also, it sounds dumb but I just make it simple. 

I make good choices all the time. Why should this party be any different? Also, I stop and ask myself.  am I hungry? Do I need this? What could happen if eat this? Orrr I just have a picture of something motivating on my phone to take quick peeks at. 

nlonnon
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 6:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I try and eat before I go. If that isn't possible I work the food into my calories.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AjCeCeMom
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 8:30 PM
Eat a hard boiled egg before you go. Works a treat!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rebekahmuse
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Great tips! Thanks!!

Quoting Threes.Company:

Before I go to a party, I try to make sure I eat something low fat, but filling.  I don't like to go to a party hungry, or I know I will end up overeating or making bad choices.  I highly recommend nonfat, plain Greek yogurt with a little honey on it.  This always fills me up.  I also drink a lot of water to make myself feel full.

When I get to the party, I try to stick to things that are not fried or things that are not creamy.  Those two tend to be huge in the calorie department.  I would recommend even bringing something yummy to the party that you CAN eat... like a veggie tray with some hummus or something.

The other thing you can do is workout before you go... to "earn" extra calories for the party.  I am not sure if you have a heart rate monitor or not, but my HRM calculates my calories for me, so I know how many extra I've earned for the day.  If I know I am going to eat some extras at a party or have a few drinks, I try to burn off 800-1000 calories in my workouts so I don't have to worry about it.

Also, the 3 lbs you gained could very easily be water weight.  If you ate fried stuff, you likely consumed a lot of sodium and may be retaining water as a result.  Don't beat yourself up too badly. 

Good luck at your future parties!

rebekahmuse
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Good idea!

Quoting AjCeCeMom:

Eat a hard boiled egg before you go. Works a treat!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)