Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Biking vs Walking

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:12 AM
  • 7 Replies
I'm a huge walking junkie. I love my walks. I do a straight 4 mile walk about 4x a week. I walk everywhere though, to and from my sons school, grocery store etc.

My mom said to me the other day, "you should ride your bike instead of walking, it burns more calories."

So what's your take on biking and walking? Which is better and burns more? Which do you prefer and why?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
miller060905
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 11:23 AM
I like walking and hiking (I LOVE hiking when it gets nice around here) but I like biking too..... I'll tell you what though, biking kicks my ass a lot harder and faster than walking! A 3 mile loop that I can walk without any problems I'm DYING After the first mile on the bike.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stefanie83
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:43 PM

BUMP!

randomosityblog
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 2:31 PM

I love biking and for me it does burn more calories.

BrittBurke
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I'm going to assume that it burns more calories because you're more likely to break a sweat biking than walking. I went 3.5miles on the bike two seperate times this week and thought I was gunna die. I used to go 13miles in a dirt trail so I don't know what happened to me!

Erica_Smerica
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Depends. If you go faster, farther, and longer on a bike ride then yes you would burn calories. But biking just 4 miles isn't going to burn as much as walking 4 miles would.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Apr. 22, 2012 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with Erica.  I'd also say to mix it up, so you're not doing the same thing all the time, and you're using different muscle groups.

Quoting Erica_Smerica:

Depends. If you go faster, farther, and longer on a bike ride then yes you would burn calories. But biking just 4 miles isn't going to burn as much as walking 4 miles would.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 22, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Yep, I agree here:)

Quoting Erica_Smerica:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)