Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please someone help me understand!!

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:46 PM
  • 10 Replies
At the gym they have two different scales one is the Manuel one you move the little bars, the other is a step digital one. Which one would be accruate?!? Last week I weighed myself and the Manuel one said 230
and the other said 236. Plus I
weighed myself today and the
manuel scale said 227 then when I
got done with the weights I weighed again this time without shoes and it said 222. How can I get a accruate reading. I haven't weighed myself on the digital yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
swmmra
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Pick which one you are going to use, I would choose digital, and only weigh on that one. All scales are different, but if you are using the same one and it says that you lost 5 lbs, then you lost 5lbs

cherinmichael
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I was using the scale at the gym-the manual one, and I found out it was WAY off. It was also really inconsistent for me. I read that not all gyms calibrate them as they should. I bought a digital scale and weigh myself at home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kiki7808
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:52 PM

take 2 ten pound weights and put them on the digital scale and see what comes up.. if it comes up as 20lbs you know your getting a true reading.. if it is higher or lowe that than then add or subtact from the number you get when you weight yourself. say you put the weight on and it reads 18lb.. than you know to add 2 pounds to the weight that reads out for. 

jendawn1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:53 PM
Ya I agree with her.

Quoting swmmra:

Pick which one you are going to use, I would choose digital, and only weigh on that one. All scales are different, but if you are using the same one and it says that you lost 5 lbs, then you lost 5lbs

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jendawn1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 5:54 PM
Oh that's smart!

Quoting Kiki7808:

take 2 ten pound weights and put them on the digital scale and see what comes up.. if it comes up as 20lbs you know your getting a true reading.. if it is higher or lowe that than then add or subtact from the number you get when you weight yourself. say you put the weight on and it reads 18lb.. than you know to add 2 pounds to the weight that reads out for. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
swmmra
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:00 PM

The scales that you have to move to get reading are very inaccurate. It depends on if the ground is level, when it was calibrated last, and human error. Go digital

nlonnon
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:22 PM
I'd stick with digital and always weigh at the same time otherwise no matter what you are going to get weird numbers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crwspringer
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:24 PM
The manual is the more accurate, but you have to make sure it is level and is has to be zeroed properly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama2gg
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:52 PM
Put a weight on them and see which one is right and then stick with just that one
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Threes.Company
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Honestly, they might both be off.  Unless they've been checked and adjusted, you can't rely on them for complete accuracy.  I would do what the others said and just choose one scale and stick with that one.  Don't compare the two.  No two scales are going to be exactly the same.  I only use the scale at the gym for my documented weigh-ins.  My scale at home is about 1.5lbs less than the weight at the gym.  Also, you can put a weight from the free weights section onto the scale to see what it weighs.  If the scale says the 10 lb weight weighs 13 lbs, then I wouldn't go with that one.  ;)  Or, I'd make note that it is off by 3!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)