Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

7-Day Summer Shape Up, Day 3: Eat Well

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:02 AM
  • 150 Replies
1 mom liked this

It's easy to eat healthy in spring and summer with all the fresh fruit and vegetables in season and farmers' markets full of beautiful produce!

Today's task is to start planning your summer menu now. This way you'll be in the fresh-foods mindset before all your favorite fruits and veg are available at the market. What summer fruits and vegetables are you looking forward to most? Do you have any new recipes to try with them? Here are a few ideas to help get you excited for spring/summer produce:

• Make one of these spring salads (and share your own salad ideas)!
  • Plan to eat watermelon, a dieter's favorite summer food!
  • Start meal planning: Write out a basic meal plan for the week on Sunday morning (or whenever is most convenient for you) and then write out a shopping list for all the things you'll need to make those meals. This will help you stop giving in to cravings during the week. Need ideas? Find healthy recipes here! See a sample menu here and check out how Monica Reinagel, aka Nutrition Diva, gave this mom's menu a healthy makeover!
  • Keep a food journal so you can see exactly what and how much you're eating and where you can add in healthy stuff (get awesome tips on sneaking in more fruits and veggies here!) and cut back on the not-so-healthy stuff! You can start your food journal here.
  • Start your day with a super smoothie! Get some great recipes here.
  • Read why fruits and veggies are not just good for your waistline here.

Share your spring/summer healthy food plan here!

shopping If you missed yesterday's activity, you can find it here. To sign up for the 7-Day Summer Shape Upclick here

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
northernmommy
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:19 AM

mmmm i love grilling veggies. i can't wait!

hudson.maggie
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I plan on eating WAY more fruits and veggies- and I also plan on starting to make smoothies for breakfast and more grilled chicken/turkey meals instead of red meat.

Noni2319
by Chrissy on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I eat lots of salads. I've been so looking forward to the farmers markets this year I can't wait.

One of my favorites is spinach with strawberries.

andrea96
by Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I've been waiting for watermelon to be in season.

sophiesmom07
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Great tips!  I am meal planning and will be looking for some healthy salads.  My day began with oatmeal w/ walnuts.  Lunch will be a chick pea salad.  Dinner- not sure yet. I need to pick up some more fruits.

gmadiane
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I love watermelon in the summer

boricua3177
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:22 AM

I have downloaded an app into my phone to log what I eat.  I think the meal planning is a great idea too, I am going to do that now.

kak27
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:22 AM
I love grilled vegetables and salad with grilled or baked chicken in it.
EHawkins71
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:23 AM

just started my day with a yummy smoothie! Vanilla greek yogurt, 1/2 banana, 1/4 cup frozed pineapple chunks (no sugar added) and a table spoon of coconut extract with 1 cup skim milk! It was sooo good!

MommyMelina2
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:24 AM
I loooove smoothies. I already have one for breakfast every morning. Especially because i can put veggies in it i don't particularly like and not even taste it but still get the nutrients. I'm also going to start grilling veggies this summer, I've never done it but it sounds delicious
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN