Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

7-Day Summer Shape Up, Day 3: Eat Well

Posted by   + Show Post

It's easy to eat healthy in spring and summer with all the fresh fruit and vegetables in season and farmers' markets full of beautiful produce!

Today's task is to start planning your summer menu now. This way you'll be in the fresh-foods mindset before all your favorite fruits and veg are available at the market. What summer fruits and vegetables are you looking forward to most? Do you have any new recipes to try with them? Here are a few ideas to help get you excited for spring/summer produce:

• Make one of these spring salads (and share your own salad ideas)!
  • Plan to eat watermelon, a dieter's favorite summer food!
  • Start meal planning: Write out a basic meal plan for the week on Sunday morning (or whenever is most convenient for you) and then write out a shopping list for all the things you'll need to make those meals. This will help you stop giving in to cravings during the week. Need ideas? Find healthy recipes here! See a sample menu here and check out how Monica Reinagel, aka Nutrition Diva, gave this mom's menu a healthy makeover!
  • Keep a food journal so you can see exactly what and how much you're eating and where you can add in healthy stuff (get awesome tips on sneaking in more fruits and veggies here!) and cut back on the not-so-healthy stuff! You can start your food journal here.
  • Start your day with a super smoothie! Get some great recipes here.
  • Read why fruits and veggies are not just good for your waistline here.

Share your spring/summer healthy food plan here!

shopping If you missed yesterday's activity, you can find it here. To sign up for the 7-Day Summer Shape Upclick here

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:02 AM
Replies (141-150):
supergirl_mommy
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 8:05 AM
These are some great tips I have began my meal planning so I can also make shopping trips easier.
Alliegracesmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 9:16 AM
Ok I try to plan my meals and I also
Have a journal but I still need to change up a few things!!! I need some variety!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
miss_lisa
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:37 AM

I meal plan a little bit, but I already made a lot of homemade healthy dinners so it wasn't too much of a change. Breakfast and lunch are shakes so no big deal there.

muse76
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:25 AM
We've been getting fruits and veggies from Bountiful Baskets every other week. It's exciting to see what different foods we get each time, and we love to try out new recipes. We also get to use our juicer more.

I definitely need to get back to planning a menu each week. Makes shopping and preparing meals so much easier (and cheaper!).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annaica
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 1:57 PM
This is a good idea. I need to invest more thought into ideas for in season veggies and fruits!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AzHunterGirl11
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:30 AM
I need to start eating more veggies! WAY more veggies! I'm going to start putting puréed veggies in our dinner (I really don't like most veggies...)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lamontfamily
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Im planning on more fruit veggies and alot of salads i love salad 

boricua3177
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I downloaded Lose It on my phone, it's free and very user friendly!

LindaClement
by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:43 PM

I have a whole pineapple sitting on the sideboard over there... mmm. I can even smell it. I'm going to eat it this afternoon.

For lunch, I'm having leftover whole wheat penne with fresh tomatoes, artichoke hearts, olives and feta from last night. It was SO good!! Lots and lots of fresh-ground pepper all over it...

LindaClement
by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:45 PM

I'm going to look for that right now. I often use my tablet as a grocery list...

Quoting boricua3177:

I downloaded Lose It on my phone, it's free and very user friendly!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)