Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

BSE

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:18 AM
  • 17 Replies

So as a person who does not consume meat or eggs or dairy (just re kicked that biatch, the dairy) I am curious to know how everyone feels about the confirmed case of BSE and if it will at all change their eating habits? (trust me this is not a veg*n VS omni debate, just how mad cow)

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Livin4_AnO
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:42 AM
May be a stupid question, buuuuut what is BSE.... Apparently I haven't heard about this?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twnkedee
by Tia on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:44 AM

Bump for more information

Hunnybadgerkins
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:45 AM

Sorry its mad cow. BSE is Bovine spongiform encetholopathy.

Hunnybadgerkins
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:48 AM

Sorry it is ALL over the news. Cows get it by eating food that has dead cow parts mixed into it basically. Even though they say they have banned that practice and this was an atypical case I just have trouble believing agribusiness at all.

btw if you do end up with contaminated meat it cant be cooked out of it.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Apr. 25, 2012 at 7:55 AM
1 mom liked this

We don't eat much beef, fortunately (I would go vegetarian if Jonathan would let me and I didn't have iron-deficiency anemia), but when we do, we spend the extra on grass-fed, and this just makes me even more glad I do!

The food industry in this country is really something else, and it's horrifying what really does go on under our noses.  It's definitely a good reason to go vegetarian/vegan!!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

twnkedee
by Tia on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:04 AM

We don't eat a lot of red meats, mostly chicken and fish, but I will definately be more aware now! Thanks for the info.

Hunnybadgerkins
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Quoting musicpisces:

We don't eat much beef, fortunately (I would go vegetarian if Jonathan would let me and I didn't have iron-deficiency anemia), but when we do, we spend the extra on grass-fed, and this just makes me even more glad I do!

The food industry in this country is really something else, and it's horrifying what really does go on under our noses.  It's definitely a good reason to go vegetarian/vegan!!

Its so scary. They only test 40,000 cows a year randomly.... omg. That alone. This cow was a dead dairy cow not destined for the food supply but was randomly tested at the rendering plant which which would have just turned her into body lotion, soaps, household cleans and pet food. That's still scary :(

GAmom373
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this

We don't eat much beef, but I get grass fed when we do.  My daughter eats very little meat, but my son loves fast food and that worries me. I need to talk to him about BSE. (The kids are grown 20 & 23.)  The dogs don't eat beef either they get dry food with a single ingredient protein, lamb.

BSE is scary.

Livin4_AnO
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:20 AM
ooooo ok. Never knew the actual term for it lol.

My eating habits won't be changing at all. We VERY rarely eat anything that comes from a cow
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof3570
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:32 AM

It is scary but I still eat meat...I love my meat. We don't do much ground beef. We do ground turkey mostly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)