Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty Training

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:23 AM
  • 3 Replies

My daughter will be three in June. She just doesn't seem interested in being potty trained. I've tried to get her motivated but it doesn't work. She will only use it every once in awhile. Should I be trying new strategies to get her more interested in going to the potty? I want her trained before her third birthday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
KCisPaulsMom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Potty training is one of those things that "it takes as long as it takes." She may not do it on your schedule. Here's what I had to do with my son.
1- Take the pull-ups away. REAL underwear only so he could FEEL it.
2- Cover up all furniture etc with plastic or something absorbent. There will be accidents.
3- Keep the training potty as closeby as possible. As her bladder control improves, you can move the potty closer and closer to the bathroom.
4-As soon as I started to see him "go"... I would pick him up and run as fast as possible and sit him on the potty.
5. Set up a reward system:
      A. Start by giving a "reward" when she gets anything in the potty (we used m and ms). Make sure the reward
           is something she will ONLY get for going potty.
      B. Once she starts getting all pee in the potty... then only give the reward when she gets ALL of it in the potty.
      C. Once she has mastered that... only give a reward when she goes poo in the potty.
      D. Stop rewards when she's trained. (Remember...accidents will happen).

It's messy... but I find that with potty training... you have to just go for it and BE CONSISTANT.

If you're a member of another forum where there are more moms of young kids, you might try posting this question there too.

mama2gg
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:48 AM
Well I'm not a good help here I have a boy and we kept a bag of fruit loops on the back of the toilet and made it a game see if you can dunk the fruit loop lol it worked he was in undies at 2 lol

Now a friend of mine took a weekends off and had naked weekend lol she took everything off her daughter (she was 2 as well) and let her pee in the floor and such lol sounds horrid but she had hard wood floors and of course cleaned her up but 2 days of it and she used the bathroom and never looked back
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nlonnon
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:06 AM

With my daugther, here's what we did.  We were going on vacation so we packed up all her diapers and left one at home (for the night we returned).  All the way home we just kept telling her that in the morning there would be no more diapers and she'd have to wear big girl panties and use the potty.  Worked like a charm, she only had 2 accidents and we were done.  She was 3.  I will say prior to this we had attempted to potty train her and we failed.  We tried around 2 but her brother was born and she regressed.  

We are going to do the same with my son this year as well, he'll be 3.  We've already started talking about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)