Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what am i doing wrong?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:05 AM
  • 15 Replies

i re-started my weight loss journey 11 days ago. while i am by no means expecting expecting a whole lot but within 4 days of just eating right i had lost 6lbs. i figured that was water weight or something and certainly didn't expect it to continue but since then i have started my exercise program and have been exercising roughly 25-30 minutes per day. since weighing myself 4 days after starting my journey i have gained 5lbs. is this normal or am i doing something wrong? i've been using sparkpeople to keep track of what i eat and i've been doing a good job of staying right in the middle of my lows and highs they give me for calories and carbs and protein and stuff.

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nlonnon
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:09 AM

The initial loss was like you said probably water weight.  If you have added exercise in you need to make sure you are eating enough to cover those calories.  If not your boby might be hanging on to everything.  Do you know your BMR with exericse?  If not one of the ladies can do it for you.

northernmommy
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:10 AM

i've just been going off what sparkpeople gave me

Quoting nlonnon:

The initial loss was like you said probably water weight.  If you have added exercise in you need to make sure you are eating enough to cover those calories.  If not your boby might be hanging on to everything.  Do you know your BMR with exericse?  If not one of the ladies can do it for you.

nlonnon
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Sometimes those numbers are wrong.  If you post your age, height, weight and # of days you exercise we can calculate it and see if the two are close to the same.

Quoting northernmommy:

Quoting nlonnon:

northernmommy
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:13 AM

i'm 28, 5ft 9in, 282lbs, and for the last several days i've been exercising about 25-30 minutes. i'm kinda worn out today so i'm not doing it today and will probably not exercise at least once a week.

Quoting nlonnon:

Sometimes those numbers are wrong.  If you post your age, height, weight and # of days you exercise we can calculate it and see if the two are close to the same.

Quoting northernmommy:

Quoting nlonnon:

nlonnon
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:22 AM

I suck at calculating these, but if I did my math right here is what you are looking at:

Your BMR range is 1745 (do nothing and you need to eat this to maintain your current weight)-2704 (eat this amount if working out 3-5 days a week to maintain)  since you want to lose subtract 500 from this number.  So you want to be somewhere between 1745-2204 calories per day to lose weight if you are exercising.

On days you don't exercise I would eat closer to the 1745 and on days that you do closer to the 2204.

northernmommy
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:26 AM

ok, then i'm not eating nearly enough. this is what sparkepeople has given me, and what i did yesterday.

CALORIES CARBS FAT PROTEIN
Totals: 1,368 165 51 62
Your Daily Goal: 1,320 - 1,670 148 - 271 29 - 65 60 - 146
Remaining Today: 0 - 302 0 - 106 0 - 14 0 - 84
Quoting nlonnon:

I suck at calculating these, but if I did my math right here is what you are looking at:

Your BMR range is 1745 (do nothing and you need to eat this to maintain your current weight)-2704 (eat this amount if working out 3-5 days a week to maintain)  since you want to lose subtract 500 from this number.  So you want to be somewhere between 1745-2204 calories per day to lose weight if you are exercising.

On days you don't exercise I would eat closer to the 1745 and on days that you do closer to the 2204.

nlonnon
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Probably not, I asked one of the other mods to check those numbers just in case.  But it doesn't sound like Sparkpeople is giving you enough.  I'd increase it and see what happens!

northernmommy
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:36 AM

lol this is going to get interesting... i have two extremes, if i try to watch what i eat and eat healthier i tend to eat "too healthy" and i have a hard time getting enough calories and if i don't watch what i eat i tend to go way over board.

thank you for your help, i knew someone on here would know what i was doing wrong lol

Quoting nlonnon:

Probably not, I asked one of the other mods to check those numbers just in case.  But it doesn't sound like Sparkpeople is giving you enough.  I'd increase it and see what happens!

mrscycklops
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:45 AM

It sounds crazy but the way food availability and such is set up, people are essentially starving themselves with empty calories. To eat the amount calories you need in healthy food is hard. That's why not everyone can do it. Eat TONS and TONS of veggies, all different kinds. You can mindlessly snack on them without too much worry. Eat fruit! What better way to hydrate yourself at the beach or by the pool than by snacking on some yummy watermelon. Fish is another way to get your protein without having high amounts of fat or calories.  Good luck, mama! Once you get the hang of it, you'll do awesome!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 25, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Your BMR is 2,074 calories...this is the minimum # of calories you need to eat each day in order to keep your body functioning properly.  NEVER eat less than this amount!

With exercising, 1-3 days/week, you need to eat 2074 x 1.375 = 2851 calories each day to maintain your current weight.

To lose one pound per week, you need to eat 2851-500 = 2351 calories each day.

So your range is 2074-2351 calories each day...make sense?

Quoting northernmommy:

ok, then i'm not eating nearly enough. this is what sparkepeople has given me, and what i did yesterday.

CALORIES CARBS FAT PROTEIN
Totals: 1,368 165 51 62
Your Daily Goal: 1,320 - 1,670 148 - 271 29 - 65 60 - 146
Remaining Today: 0 - 302 0 - 106 0 - 14 0 - 84
Quoting nlonnon:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)