Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bmi and body fat percentage?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:09 AM
  • 8 Replies
I checked my bmi and it's 38. Something %. So I'm in the 'obese type 2 category. I calculated my body far percentage using some formula developed by the navy. I measured my waist, hips, wrist and forearm. It said my body fat percentage is 27. Something. So I'm in the 'acceptible' category for body fat, not the obese category and above the fitness category. So what am I? Obese or just overweight? I am 5'3 and 215 lbs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
norahsmommy
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:03 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AjCeCeMom
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:40 PM
I don't think the labels necessarily matter but I would say at your height and weight, obese is probably correct.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Threes.Company
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I don't know that I would trust the formula you used.  I mean, if your BMI is suggesting 38 (which is pretty far from the cutoff of 30), I don't know that I would trust the measurement method.  I know there are machines you can use to pinch your skin in some of those locations to determine body fat percentage.  But, those are computerized and more reliable.  If you had told me your BMI calculation gave you a result of 31 or 32... and overweight is just under 30... and the measurements were telling you 27, then I'd say you might fall into the overweight category.  But the BMI calculation seems to be well into the other category.  Do you know what I mean?

I'm sorry if my answer comes off negatively.  No one wants to be told they are obese, nor does it feel good to give that answer to someone else.  But to answer your question objectively, I would say that based on the calculations, the obese category is probably the best fit... unless you have the computerized test done to prove otherwise.

norahsmommy
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:47 PM
I also calculated my waist to hip ratio, it is .8 which according to the chart puts me at low risk for health problems associated with my weight. I know I'm overweight, not trying to excuse it. I just wanted an estimate of the amount of body fat I have and was wondering how accurate these charts are for calculating that. Bmi doesn't calculate how much body fat you have, so that's why I did the body fat percentage calculator and the waist to hip ratio.

Quoting AjCeCeMom:

I don't think the labels necessarily matter but I would say at your height and weight, obese is probably correct.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:58 PM
I think I'm going to buy some calipers, those things they pinch your fat with to measure. Does anyone know where I can buy one? Gnc maybe? I have always carried alot more muscle than the average woman. I'm overweight for sure, I just want ko know how much fat my body has so I know how bad off I really am. To give you an idea, when I weighed 145, I looked about 115 lbs and people thought I looked a little too thin. My current measurements are
Waist 35
Hips. 46
Wrist 6
Forearm 11, actually 10.5 but I rounded up.
Those were the measurements the body fat calculator asked for in addition to height and weight.

Quoting Threes.Company:

I don't know that I would trust the formula you used.  I mean, if your BMI is suggesting 38 (which is pretty far from the cutoff of 30), I don't know that I would trust the measurement method.  I know there are machines you can use to pinch your skin in some of those locations to determine body fat percentage.  But, those are computerized and more reliable.  If you had told me your BMI calculation gave you a result of 31 or 32... and overweight is just under 30... and the measurements were telling you 27, then I'd say you might fall into the overweight category.  But the BMI calculation seems to be well into the other category.  Do you know what I mean?

I'm sorry if my answer comes off negatively.  No one wants to be told they are obese, nor does it feel good to give that answer to someone else.  But to answer your question objectively, I would say that based on the calculations, the obese category is probably the best fit... unless you have the computerized test done to prove otherwise.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Threes.Company
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Can I ask why you are so concerned over the label?  ...like, enough to buy the measurement tools?  If you think you are just overweight, then you can consider yourself overweight.  It's not necessary to put yourself through this just to choose a label, you know?  You're working towards losing by being in this group, and that's really what matters, right?  I just wouldn't invest too much into the label.  It's not necessary.  Track your loss via the scale and inches to follow your progress.  Or, mark down that BMI says obese for now and that the other measurement of 27 says you're not... and compare it to your future measurements.  You can follow yourself on both scales.  I wouldn't waste time or money getting the measurement tools to do it myself, but that's just me.

Good luck!

Quoting norahsmommy:

I think I'm going to buy some calipers, those things they pinch your fat with to measure. Does anyone know where I can buy one? Gnc maybe? I have always carried alot more muscle than the average woman. I'm overweight for sure, I just want ko know how much fat my body has so I know how bad off I really am. To give you an idea, when I weighed 145, I looked about 115 lbs and people thought I looked a little too thin. My current measurements are
Waist 35
Hips. 46
Wrist 6
Those were the measurements the body fat calculator asked for in addition to height and weight.

Quoting Threes.Company:

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

norahsmommy
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:14 PM
I want to know my actual body fat percentage, so I can properly assess how far I have to go body fat wise to be healthy. To me its important to know that in addition to overall weight. It's not so much the label, I just want an accurate assessment of my body. It at least as close to accurate as I can.

Quoting Threes.Company:

Can I ask why you are so concerned over the label?  ...like, enough to buy the measurement tools?  If you think you are just overweight, then you can consider yourself overweight.  It's not necessary to put yourself through this just to choose a label, you know?  You're working towards losing by being in this group, and that's really what matters, right?  I just wouldn't invest too much into the label.  It's not necessary.  Track your loss via the scale and inches to follow your progress.  Or, mark down that BMI says obese for now and that the other measurement of 27 says you're not... and compare it to your future measurements.  You can follow yourself on both scales.  I wouldn't waste time or money getting the measurement tools to do it myself, but that's just me.

Good luck!

Quoting norahsmommy:

Waist 35
Hips. 46
Wrist 6

Quoting Threes.Company:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Threes.Company
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Could you go to your doctor to be measured?  Or are you a member at a gym?  Can the gym staff measure you?  You just want to make sure that whoever is doing it knows what they are doing.  You really can't do that measurement yourself.  Especially the arm one.  You couldn't reach all the way over to the back of your other arm, and you want to make sure if someone is helping you that they know how to do it right so it's accurate.  If you want to know your body fat percentage, you would definitely have to measure.  Doing a simple BMI calculation with height and weight can be off. 

According to the BMI calculator, my BMI is 21.7.  My body fat percentage, according to the pinch test my trainer has done for me is about 19%.  I have a lot of muscle mass.  So yeah, if you are looking for an accurate number, definitely see if you can get yourself measured.  If you can't do that, I would not worry about the label at all, but focus on pounds AND inches.  Keep measuring both to see changes.

Wishing you the best.  Good luck!

Quoting norahsmommy:

I want to know my actual body fat percentage, so I can properly assess how far I have to go body fat wise to be healthy. To me its important to know that in addition to overall weight. It's not so much the label, I just want an accurate assessment of my body. It at least as close to accurate as I can.

Quoting Threes.Company:

Good luck!

Quoting norahsmommy:

Waist 35
Hips. 46
Wrist 6

Quoting Threes.Company:

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)