Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

7-Day Summer Shape-up, Day 5: Amp Up Your Workouts

Posted by   + Show Post

According to a study referenced in April's Women's Health Magazine, "people who did brief fast-paced workouts for a total of 90 minutes a week got just as fit as those who did lower-intensity training for 4 and1/2 hours." That's great news -- especially for busy moms!

Your activity for today is to fire up your workout!

Here are some helpful tips on getting the most bang for your workout buck:

And don't forget to change it up to avoid a weight-loss plateau. Trainer Rachel Cosgrove suggests switching up your routine every 28 days. She says, "It takes 4 to 6 weeks for your body to adapt to a workout. Once it becomes efficient at it, you use less energy and burn fewer calories and fat." 

Have you tried any of these tips? Got any great suggestions for amping it up? Share them in the replies!

jumping ropeIf you missed yesterday's activity, you can find it here. To sign up for the 7-Day Summer Shape Up click here.

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:01 AM
Replies (111-118):
JKuney
by Member on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I liked those tips thanks for the info! I'm just getting into my exercise routine, but I like to do the interval training. I remember  watching Biggest Loser one night, and Bob suggested that if you can't run the whole mile that you do it in bursts. I started with walking and now I am running it in bursts... let me tell you it really works! 

muse76
by on Apr. 29, 2012 at 11:34 AM
I didn't realize workouts should be changed every 28 days - good to know! I've never tried any workout programs, but I've seen a few suggestions on Pinterest that I'd like to try.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Noni2319
by Chrissy on Apr. 29, 2012 at 4:10 PM
Thanks. I do 30 day shred and yoga.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AzHunterGirl11
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:37 AM
I didn't realize you had to change up your workout in so few days!
I love my Jillian michaels dvd - its all cardio intervals and she has some previous biggest loser winners doing the workouts with you. Makes you feel "if they can do it, then I can do at least another interval!"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kendrafox
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I don't have a lot of variety in my workouts.  I mainly like to do 45 minutes on the elliptical 4-5 days a week, but every now and then, I will work on the treadmill or do a weight circuit.  I even use the at home DVDs occasionally.

MOM2DMSD
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:22 AM
I need to change it up. I just bought the 30 day shred. Hope it helps. Then I'll have to get back into p90x
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lamontfamily
by on May. 2, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Get some music that pumps u up on ur ipod 

LindaClement
by on May. 7, 2012 at 5:01 PM

I'm not fit enough to do the kind of training listsed... but I'm working up to it. I do sprint on the treadmill at 8, but recover closer to 2.5... and for a lot longer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN