7-Day Summer Shape-up, Day 6: Don't Stress
Stress is your worst enemy when it comes to losing weight. Being frazzled all the time causes your body to continuously release the same hormones and chemicals it would if you were in danger. This can lead to overeating (belly bulges are directly related to stress) and more serious health problems including depression, high blood pressure, heart disease, and obesity.
Your goal for today -- and every day -- is to keep stress at bay!
Here are just a few ideas (please excuse the cliches -- hey, they're well-known for a reason!):
- Take deep breaths when you're feeling overwhelmed.
- Take time for you. Even if you only have 10 minutes before bed, take that time to relax and even meditate.
- Enjoy stress-reducing foods such as avocados, walnuts, wild salmon, and blueberries.
- Have sex!
- Cut back on caffeine.
- Dance! Turn up the music and move it with the kiddos! (Bonus: Dancing burns calories!)
- Get enough rest (ok, we know this one is hard, but try).
- Laugh -- often!
- Don't sweat the small stuff. It's almost never worth it.
- Stop trying to do it all!
- Get organized and try these anti-stress decorating tips.
- And of course, exercise!
How do you keep your cool? Reply with your best stress-busters!